4 Assisted Living Facilities near Upper Lake, CA
Also serving communities of Nice, Lakeport, Clearlake.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Upper Lake area, with 2 in Upper Lake and 2 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Upper Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Upper Lake, CA
2 Assisted Living Facilities near Upper Lake, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Upper Lake
Upper Lake is a lakeshore community on the northern fringe of California's scenic Clear Lake, adjacent to Nice, CA, and wedged against the hills that rise into the Mendocino National Forest. A little over 64,000 people live in Lake County, nearly 22.5 percent of them seniors age 65 and over, but only four assisted living facilities operate in the near vicinity of Upper Lake. These assisted living communities, like all residential care facilities throughout the state, are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Upper Lake
- The weather in Upper Lake is as variable as most of California's Coastal Range can get. Summers are hot, with an average daily high temperature of 91 degrees, while winter lows dip to an average of 37 degrees overnight in December. The northern shore of Clear Lake gets a solid 40 inches of rain in a typical year. The surrounding forest produces a large amount of tree pollen, which can be an issue for some seniors with asthma.
- The cost of living in Upper Lake is roughly 13 percent higher than the national average across all types of expenses. This is significantly lower than California's general cost of living, which is 69 percent above the national average. Seniors who pay their own healthcare costs in Upper Lake can expect to pay about 1 percent more for care than the national average.
- Crime rates in Upper Lake are very high, relative to national figures. Overall, the crime rate across categories is 40 percent higher than the national average, though the majority of this is in property crimes, such as petty theft, rather than in violent crime categories.
- Public transportation in Upper Lake is provided by Lake Transit Authority, which operates scheduled bus service throughout Lake County. Seniors and mobility-impaired riders get half off regular fares, all vehicles in service are ADA-compliant and dial-a-ride services are available on short notice.
- The Upper Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Adventist Health Ukiah Valley and Adventist Health Howard Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Upper Lake has an array of community resources for seniors, including North Coast Energy Services, an organization that provides emergency energy assistance, as well as more than three senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Upper Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Upper Lake start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Upper Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Upper Lake
Seniors in Upper Lake who meet the income and asset standards for the federal Medicaid program may be able to pay some or all of the cost of assisted living through California's Medicaid service, known as Medi-Cal.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Upper Lake
Upper Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Upper Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Upper Lake
Upper Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.