88 Assisted Living Facilities near Albany, CA
There are 88 Assisted Living Facilities in the Albany area, with 3 in Albany and 85 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Albany is $7,790 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 296 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Albany. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Albany 3.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include El Cerrito with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Albany, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Albany, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Albany
Albany is located in Alamedia County and has a population of 19,420 and median age of 35.4. The Albany region is home to 58 assisted living facilities, with three in the city and 55 located in nearby cities. Officially known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs), these facilities are required to provide care and supervision to a population of which at least 75 percent of residents are over the age of 60. The Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division licenses and monitors these facilities to ensure they provide consistently high quality of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Albany
- In terms of weather, Albany is a relatively comfortable city, rating 85 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index for its low humidity and mild temperatures. The July high is a comfortable 71 degrees Fahrenheit and the January low is 44 degrees. This may appeal to active seniors who enjoy being outdoors.
- The overall cost of living is significantly higher in Albany than in the rest of the country. While this is primarily due to the high cost of housing, seniors can expect to spend 18 percent more on groceries, 12 percent more on health care and 6 percent more on transportation than they would elsewhere.
- The overall crime rate in Albany is 6 percent lower than the state average and is on par with the national average. The rate of violent crime in this city is 67 percent lower than California’s average and 62 percent lower than the U.S. average, though the property crime rate is 5 percent higher than the state average and 9 percent higher than the national average.
- The Albany Senior Center has a shuttle bus that transports seniors to area attractions, including the SHN Orpheum Theatre, the Oakland Coliseum and San Francisco’s Chinatown. Tickets for sightseeing adventures range from $8 to $50 per person, depending on the destination.
- The Albany area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Berkeley.
- Albany has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Legal Assistance for Seniors, an organization that provides free legal advice and representation and health insurance counseling to qualified seniors, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Albany
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Albany start around $7,130 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Albany and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Albany
In Albany, seniors may apply to receive financial aid to help cover the cost of assisted living. Currently, there are two programs that may help fund assisted living, including Medi-Cal, which offers an Assisted Living Waiver program, and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Albany
Albany and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Albany, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Albany
Albany-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Albany
Review of Belmont Village Albany
This is a storage unit for seniors. The staff is not only inattentive but neglectful. The head of "wellness" could not point us to the nearest ER. My relative's toilet overflowed and it took 48 hou... Read more
Review of Raksha Care Homes
My husband moved into Raksha Care Homes. He's rehabilitating, and there are some people there too that have some memory problems, and they do physical therapy. I've gone there twice a day every sin... Read more
Review of Belmont Village Albany
Belmont Village is brand new, so there were a lot of people during open house. It was kind of hectic and crazy, but my questions were answered. It's a bit pricey, but it looked beautiful. The rooms... Read more