66 Assisted Living Facilities near Hercules, CA
There are 66 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hercules area, with 6 in Hercules and 60 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hercules is $4,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Pinole with an average starting cost of $2,898.
To help you with your search, browse the 117 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hercules. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hercules 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include American Canyon with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hercules, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hercules, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hercules
Nestled along the coast of San Pablo Bay and part of the San Francisco Bay Area, Hercules, California, sits on the land that was once home to the Hercules Powder Company, a factory that manufactured explosives. It is home to over 25,000 residents, and 14 percent of the population is 65 or older. Seniors and their families can choose among 65 facilities for assisted living care, including the five communities located within the city limits.
In San Pablo Bay and in all of California, assisted living residences are called residential care facilities (RCFs) for the elderly and are licensed by the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hercules
- As part of the San Francisco Bay area, Hercules has easy access to a rich arts and culture scene. Seniors might take outings from their assisted living communities to see a performance of the San Francisco Ballet or to hear the San Francisco Symphony play.
- Taxes are a source of savings for seniors on a fixed income. California doesn't tax Social Security retirement incomes, and seniors can apply for a reduction in the amount of property taxes they owe. Unfortunately, the state does tax all other types of retirement income, including pensions and retirement saving accounts withdrawals.
- The Hercules area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Contra Costa Regional Medical Center and the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The rainy period in Hercules lasts for a little over seven months so seniors should check the weather forecast before heading outdoors. Winters are mild, and temperatures remain in the mid-50s to high 60s throughout. Summers are idyllic for spending time outside with daytime temperatures in the mid to high 70s.
- Seniors might find the Hercules area on the expensive side. The overall cost of living is 81 percent higher than the national average and 13 percent higher than the rest of California.
- Hercules is a safe town for seniors and their families. The overall crime rate is 42 percent lower than the national average and 46 percent lower than the state's average. The violent crime rate is 74 percent lower than the national average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hercules
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Hercules start around $4,000 per month on average, which is on par with the average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hercules and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hercules
Seniors in Hercules and throughout California who need help with the costs of assisted living facilities can apply for Medi-Cal, California's state Medicaid program. The state also offers two Medicaid waivers to further assist seniors when it comes to paying for facilities, the Assisted Living Waiver and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hercules
Hercules and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hercules, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hercules
Hercules-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hercules
Review of Home Sweet Home
Home Sweet Home is a board and care. It's a very quiet neighborhood. The home is very well constructed as far as individuals having their own private bedroom. Two of the staff members are there 24 ... Read more
Review of Angels Touch Care Home
This facility is immaculate, has a warm and inviting feel, comfortable decor, and a serene atmosphere. Upon entry I was greeted with a professional, yet warm and caring owner. Was given a thorou... Read more
Review of Angels Touch Care Home
Upon my visit to this facility I found it to be very inviting, it is spacious, well laid out and very functional. The bed rooms have space to move about and are comfortable. The family area al... Read more