99 Assisted Living Facilities near Houston, TX
With an average cost of $3,313 in Houston, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 458 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 93 facilities in Houston.
93 Assisted Living Facilities in Houston, TX
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Houston, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Houston
Home to NASA’s Space Center Houston and the Johnson Space Center, Houston is a large, vibrant city in Texas that welcomes millions of international visitors each year. Seniors wishing to seek residency amidst the area’s diverse natural, cultural and historical attractions have plenty of options with the city’s 94 assisted living facilities and six more in surrounding neighborhoods. These ALFs provide assistance with activities of daily living and are regulated by the Texas Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Houston
- The Houston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center and the Houston Methodist Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Houston is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Texas does not deduct state taxes on all forms of income, including Social Security income, retirement account withdrawals and pension earnings. With this retirement-friendly income tax policy, Houston seniors are able to set aside a large portion of their earnings for daily expenses.
- Seniors with chronic respiratory illnesses may experience health issues with Houston’s air quality. The American Lung Association ranks the Houston-The Woodlands metro area as the 15th most polluted metropolitan area in terms of year-round particle pollution and 11th in terms of high ozone days.
- METRO operates bus and railway services within Houston and nearby communities. Senior patrons 65 to 69 years are entitled to half-fare discounts, while 70-year-olds and above enjoy free rides. METRO’s accessibility features ensure safe, convenient rides for seniors and persons with disabilities.
- Houston’s high transportation cost (141) brings up its overall cost of living index to 105, higher than the national index of 100 and the state’s 102. In spite of this, seniors enjoy some form of financial relief with slightly lower grocery (93) and healthcare (94) costs.
Paying for Assisted Living in Houston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Houston start around $3,300 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Houston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Houston
There are programs designed to make the cost of assisted living more affordable. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services offers a variety of resources that may help seniors on a limited budget pay for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Houston
Houston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Houston, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Houston
Houston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Houston, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Houston
Review of Loving Care Cottages
Blossom Assisted Living is wonderful. It's perfect for my mom, and it fits within her budget. The people are excellent. She's doing a lot better than she was at home with me and my sister caring fo... Read more
Review of Brookdale Willowbrook Place
I thought for sure that we were going to end up at Brookdale Willowbrook Place. The staff members were amazing, we only went for a visit but I was so impressed with the staff. I cannot emphasize th... Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Cy-Fair
Elmcroft of Cy-Fair is very good. The place is clean, the staff is very responsive, and it's a great environment. The rooms are clean, bright, and accommodating. The dining area is very nice and my... Read more