33 Independent Living Communities near Phoenix, AZ

Madison Meadows

7211 N 7th St, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

Madison Meadows was a wonderful place. I loved it. I wanted my mom to go there quite badly actually. They were wonderful people. It was roomy enough for her. They were spacious. They were very nice pe … (read more)

2014

Brookdale Central Paradise Valley

13240 North Tatum Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

Located in Phoenix, Arizona, Brookdale Central Paradise Valley is close to Desert Botanical Garden, Kierland Commons Shopping Center and the Stonecreek Golf Club. Visitors give high marks to the facil … (read more)

2020

Park Terrace at Greenway

2577 West Greenway Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85023

The tour we had in Park Terrace at Greenway was very nice. They were ready for me right away when I got there. They had a model available, and I believe that all of the apartments looked the same. So, … (read more)

The Palazzo

6250 N 19th Ave, Phoenix, AZ, 85015

We saw one- and two-bedrooms at The Palazzo. It was a very nice, mixed community. The layout of the rooms was adequate for a senior that needs space. Nothing was cramped, nothing was tight. The downsi … (read more)

Olive Grove Assisted Living and Memory Care

3014 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85016

Olive Grove Assisted Living and Memory Care is located near Echo Canyon Recreation Area in Phoenix, Arizona. Residents are pleased by aerobic and yoga programs held in a fitness room, and certified ca … (read more)

La Siena

909 East Northern Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

I lived in independent living at La Siena. The food wasn’t the greatest. They didn’t have very many activities as where I’m living now. They don’t have happy hours. The price was way too high and way … (read more)

Beatitudes Campus

1610 West Glendale Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85021

The Beatitudes Campus has been there in that location for a very long time. It’s big and it’s arduous to get around. I like the fact that they don’t charge taxes there. It’s a tax-exempt facility. The … (read more)

The Manor Village at Desert Ridge

5560 E. Deer Valley Drive, Phoenix, AZ, 85054

Marigold Assisted Living

4312 E. Redwood Ln., Phoenix, AZ, 85048

2018

Mountain Park Senior Living

4475 E. Knox Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85044

Situated near Ahwatukee Hills in Phoenix, Arizona, Mountain Park Senior Living is a pet-friendly community offering assisted living and memory care to those 55 and over. Residents and their loved ones … (read more)

2020

Sagewood

4555 East Mayo Blvd, Phoenix, AZ, 85050

My sister lived in Sagewood two years ago. It was phenomenal. They had a gourmet restaurant on the premises. They had a little snack buffet, and then they had another dining area. They had indoor swim … (read more)

Zen Senior Living

11645 North 25th Place, Phoenix, AZ, 85028

My mother is in Zen Senior Living. It’s independent living so they don’t have any assistance of any kind; it’s just for 55 and over. They’ve got a nice clubhouse, activities for them to do, they have … (read more)

LifeStream Complete Senior Living at Northeast Phoenix

20802 North Cave Creek Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85024

I moved into independent living at LifeStream and it’s very good. They feed you one meal a day, either lunch or dinner, and the food’s been pretty good. Whenever you want to have something that needs … (read more)

Fellowship Square of Phoenix, a Christian Care Company

2002 West Sunnyside Drive, Phoenix, AZ, 85029

The attitude of Fellowship Square of Phoenix was so far superior. Other facilities just looked at me as though I’m just a person they had to make a sale to. In this place, it’s a whole different attit … (read more)

LivGenerations Ahwatukee

15815 S 50th Street, Phoenix, AZ85048, Phoenix, AZ, 85048

They gave me a tour at Liv Generations, and I ate lunch there. The food was OK. I saw the size of the different bedrooms and I saw the people. The rooms are all the same.

Phoenix Manor

2636 North 41st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85009

I visited Phoenix Manor for myself and my husband. It was very clean, very friendly, and it had everything we needed. The staff was really friendly, and very helpful. Everything looked really good, an … (read more)

Glencroft Center for Modern Aging

8611 N 67th Avenue, Glendale, AZ, 85302

They were great at Glencroft Center for Modern Aging. I just didn’t like the layout of the place as well as I did the other one I visited. It was multistory. They had an elevator. It seemed like they … (read more)

2015, 2018

Thunderbird Senior Living

5401 W Dailey St, Glendale, AZ, 85306

Thunderbird Senior Living is located in Glendale, Arizona, just a few blocks away from Thunderbird Paseo Park and Banner Thunderbird Medical Center. Residents and their loved ones agree that the facil … (read more)

Westgate Village

8847 W Glendale Ave, Glendale, AZ, 85305

My mother is in Westgate Village. It’s like a hotel, apartment-style, condo, or something like that. The staff is fantastic, very caring, and involved in the residents’ lives. The place is new. It’s o … (read more)

North Chandler Place

2555 North Price Rd., Chandler, AZ, 85224

I toured North Chandler Place. There was sufficient parking there, I was able to park in a spot close to the identified office. That office was for the assisted living area, and I had to be escorted o … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in Phoenix, AZ

The sunny city of Phoenix has been named among the top retirement destinations in the country and is sought out by retirees who enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and biking, dynamic arts and cultural amenities and a full calendar of year-round events. The city is ranked the 31st most walkable large city in the country, particularly the downtown district, where most errands can be accomplished on foot. It also offers a reliable public transportation system, ideal for active adults who prefer to leave the car at home.

Phoenix gets 299 sunny days annually, providing locals with an abundance of opportunities to enjoy amenities like the Phoenix Art Museum or the Pueblo Grande Museum and Archeological Park, both of which provide discounts to seniors. While summers are hot with highs around 105 degrees, most days have low humidity levels, which may benefit seniors with asthma or cardiovascular conditions. Winters are comfortable with highs ranging between 65-70 degrees.

Paying for Independent Living in Phoenix, AZ

On average, older adults pay an average of $2,362 per month for independent living in Phoenix. This is almost $200 less than the national monthly average of $2,550, which may make it a good option for those who have restrictive retirement budgets.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in Phoenix, AZ

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in Phoenix. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
Lifelong Learning(480) 731-8000Maricopa Community Colleges provide a Lifelong Learning program for area seniors, giving older adults the opportunity to brush up on job skills, gain professional certifications or enjoy personal enrichment. This program features generational  programs, non-credit courses and community education. Participants can also use the campus’s fitness centers and attend fitness classes at an affordable price. Students aged 65 and over are eligible for a tuition discount.
Valley Metro Reduced Fare Program(602) 253-5000Valley Metro, which provides local bus and light rail services in Phoenix, offers a reduced fare program for area residents aged 65 and over. This regional public transportation agency provides routes to popular destinations like the Arizona Science Center, Arizona Mills Mall and the Arizona Museum of Natural History. To ride for a reduced fare, seniors must present their Valley Metro Reduced Fare ID card and their driver’s license or state ID card.
Maricopa Retired and Senior Volunteer Program

(602) 264-2255The Maricopa RSVP is a program sponsored by the local Area Agency on Aging that provides opportunities for those aged 55 and over to engage with their community through volunteer services. Some locations at which participants may volunteer include the Arizona Science Center, local senior centers, performing arts venues and food banks.
Senior Centers(602) 262-7379The Human Services Department of Phoenix operates numerous senior centers within the city, providing older adults with a variety of recreational opportunities. While each center offers its own unique amenities, some activities that members can expect include day and extended trips, health and fitness classes, technology workshops and social events. They also provide community senior discount programs and case management services for areas such as employment and life-building skills. Senior centers are open on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.