Phoenix is the state capital of Arizona and home to more than 1.5 million people. It’s known for having year-round sunshine, which is particularly favorable to seniors with seasonal allergies. The city is also home to a wealth of recreational and cultural attractions. Lovers of great architecture can visit Taliesin West, the winter home of Frank Lloyd Wright, while golfers can play a few rounds on one of the Jack Nicklaus-designed courses at Desert Mountain

Although age isn’t a barrier to good living, some daily tasks can become more difficult, such as cleaning. Assisted living communities enable independent seniors to reside in pleasant surroundings while having people on hand to cook and clean for them, freeing their time to do other things. The 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey revealed that assisted living costs in Phoenix average at $3,700. This is a monthly savings of $200 when compared to the state average of $3,900 and $600 compared to the national average of $4,300.

This guide covers costs in more detail, in addition to the benefits and drawbacks of living in Phoenix. It also lists some resources for seniors and their families.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Phoenix, AZ

2016, 2020, 2021

Pacifica Senior Living Paradise Valley

16621 N. 38th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

After touring many assisted living facilities in the valley for my Uncle, I am so grateful I finally found Pacifica. Tori was so kind and welcoming and made me feel confident that my Uncle would be we … (read more)

2014

Brookdale Central Paradise Valley

13240 North Tatum Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

Located in Phoenix, Arizona, Brookdale Central Paradise Valley is close to Desert Botanical Garden, Kierland Commons Shopping Center and the Stonecreek Golf Club. Visitors give high marks to the facil … (read more)

2020

Park Terrace at Greenway

2577 West Greenway Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85023

My mother loves Park Terrace at Greenway. It’s fantastic. Her hospice nurses love Park Terrace and loves the partnership they have with them. It doesn’t just go beyond the lobby. A lot of these places … (read more)

The Palazzo

6250 N 19th Ave, Phoenix, AZ, 85015

We moved mom to The Palazzo. We chose it because of the size of the facility, the activities, and the size of her living space. We had a little bit of trouble because they made some mistakes in her in … (read more)

2012

Olive Grove Assisted Living and Memory Care

3014 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85016

Olive Grove Assisted Living and Memory Care is located near Echo Canyon Recreation Area in Phoenix, Arizona. Residents are pleased by aerobic and yoga programs held in a fitness room, and certified ca … (read more)

La Siena

909 East Northern Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

My dad was at La Siena for only three months. It’s a good and well-rounded facility. I didn’t live there, but my dad did, and based on what I saw from picking him up and visiting him, they were very s … (read more)

Brookdale Desert Ridge

4050 East Bluefield Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

The admission person, Debra, had no interest in helping me. She acted like my questions were a waste of her time and couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough.

A Sunny Pine Assisted Living

707 West Drey Drive, Phoenix, AZ, 85021

The home was perfect. I couldn’t say anything better. I couldn’t have asked anything better for my dad. A Sunny Pine Assisted Living was just perfect for me and my dad. He loved it. He was a resident … (read more)

2012

Chateau of Arcadia

5825 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85018

The only person that I spoke to at Arcadia Estate — in addition to one of the tenants — was Michelle. She was very accommodating and very nice. She knew what she was talking about when I explained t … (read more)

Adagio ALH

1045 E. Bethany Home Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85014

My mother is moving into Adagio ALH. We already moved her things, and she’s going to spend her first night there. It’s called assisted living, but it’s a group home, and it’s a very nice community. Af … (read more)

Arrow Assisted Living

6511 W Straight Arrow Ln, Phoenix, AZ, 85083

My aunt and uncle are in Amy’s Assisted Living, and they are very happy. The community is excellent. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They have many activities and visiting musicians. T … (read more)

Lovin Touch Assisted Living

4130 W. Northern Ave, Phoenix, AZ, 85051

The owner was my husbands private caregiver for 2 years before he opened this assisted living home. I transfered my husband then over there and he got great care. Very compassionate , responsible a … (read more)

Avista Senior Living North Mountain

350 East Eva Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

By far one of the nicest senior livings in the North Side. The marketing walked us through the while process she was so sweet and patient as I had many questions. Everyone seem friendly. The decoratio … (read more)

MorningStar at Arcadia

3200 East Glenrosa Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85018

I am so sad to report that the care we had hoped for never was given. My parents were put on medicine distribution, and were ignored, No one greeted them on their firs day, and they wandered the dinin … (read more)

Windsor Maryland Gardens

31 West Maryland Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85013

Placing your loved one at Maryland Gardens is a difficult decision. Often, it is the only choice for a person with behavior issues that are inappropriate for traditional assisted living homes. Given … (read more)

Mariposa Point at Algodón Center

3100 No. 91st Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85037

My husband is at Mariposa Point at Algodón Center. As far as I know, it’s excellent. They had some sort of a game they played on the patio one day when I visited. He’s in an apartment with two bedr … (read more)

Encanto Palms Assisted Living

3901 West Encanto Blvd., Phoenix, AZ, 85009

My friend ex husband lives in Encanto Palms i visited and see by video web the rooms look nice and clean ,. Gloria she is manager at Mirage unit im most grateful to acomodate with attencion and detai … (read more)

Tramonto Assisted Living

3217 W Caravaggio Ln, Phoenix, AZ, 85086

My sweet mom passed away this last weekend. Tramonto Assisted Living took amazing care of mom during these last couple months of her life. The home was so clean! Nikki and Bridgette were constantly l … (read more)

The Retreat at Alameda

1920 W. Alameda Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85001

Infinite Pathways Care Home and Memory Care

4015 East Saint John Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

We visited Pathways Assisted Living. It was a house and was very clean and very nice, but it was not right for my mom. They had one caretaker and they are new, so they only had one person living there … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Phoenix

The overall responsibility for ensuring assisted living communities maintain standards falls to the Arizona Department of Health Services. The bulk of the work is taken on by its Bureau of Residential Facilities Licensing, which has the power to issue licenses and revoke them if the facility continually violates standards.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Phoenix

• Seniors in Phoenix have easy access to some of the best medical facilities in the country. There are more than 20 hospitals within the city limits and the surrounding area. These include the Mayo Clinic-Phoenix, ranked #1 in the state and #16 in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
  • According to Sperling’s Best Places, the cost of living in Phoenix is above the national average. If 100 is the average, Phoenix comes in at 103.7, which is also slightly above the state average. The city’s score is likely due to transportation costs. When other necessities of life are calculated, such as groceries and health, Phoenix outperforms the national averages.
  • To counter the above-average travel costs for seniors and the disabled, the City of Phoenix offers several transportation subsidy programs. There’s Dial-a-Ride, which enables disabled Phoenix residents to get around for $4 per trip. Adults aged 65 and over can use Senior Ride to get anywhere in the city, and members of senior centers can use the Senior Center Shuttle, which can bring them from their homes to the center and back again.
  • Crime statistics, particularly for major cities, never make good reading. However, it’s always worth remembering that seniors are less likely to be victims of violent crime than any other age group and that property crime tends to target areas, not individuals. According to Neighborhood Scout, the national median for violent crime is 4 per 1,000 residents, while the figure for Phoenix is 7.02. For property crime, the national median is 21, while it is 33.3 in Phoenix. The city, like all cities, has its safer areas. These tend to be congregated to the north, towards Scottsdale and Sun City West, and to the south in the direction of Chandler. Assisted living facilities also keep this in mind, and many have security measures in place to ensure residents’ safety.
  • Sperling’s gives Phoenix a score of 46/100 for air quality. However, it gets a score of 65/100 for water quality. The U.S. average is  55.

Paying for Assisted Living in Phoenix

Assisted Living in Phoenix costs an average of $3,700 per month, but this varies between facilities and cities. It’s worth comparing them to get a sense of costs, in addition to comparing assisted living prices with other types of care.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

With the exception of Lake Havasu City’s monthly costs of $3,650, seniors in Phoenix paying in the region of $3,700 have the most affordable assisted living costs in the state. On average, they pay $200 less than other Arizonans and $600 less than other Americans. In Yuma, typical costs rise to $4,025, while they go up another $50 to $4,075 in Tucson. The least affordable city in the region is Prescott Valley, with costs averaging at $4,450.

$3700

Tucson

$3650

Lake Havasu City

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Despite assisted living offering accommodation and care, its costs of $3,700 are substantially below the costs of home care and home health care, which are $5,148 and $5,243, respectively. However, able-bodied seniors who can attend an adult day center can get care for $867 per month. The least affordable type of care is in nursing homes. A semiprivate room in a typical Phoenix nursing home is about $9,247, while private rooms average at $10,646.

$5148

Adult day health care

$3700

Assisted Living

$9247

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$10646

Nursing Home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Phoenix

Arizona has a variety of resources for senior citizens, some of which may help make the cost of assisted living more affordable. The AHCCCS may also have programs that provide financial help to seniors seeking assisted living.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Arizona page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Phoenix

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Phoenix

The following resources are some examples of the help families can access in Phoenix. If families are eligible, the resources can help with the costs of assisted living. They can also help to protect their loved ones.

ResourceContactService
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)(602) 264-4357SHIP is a program for seniors in Phoenix who already have a Medicare plan and those who are ready to enroll in one. Counselors provide their services free of charge. These include one-on-one and confidential meetings with seniors to discuss their current circumstances and their coverage needs. The counselors can then advise seniors on the most appropriate plans, which may include private health care insurance. However, the counselors won’t try to sell insurance. They can also help seniors enroll in Medicare and submit appeals.
Long-Term Care Ombudsman(888) 264-2258The Long-Term Care Ombudsman is an advocate for the rights of seniors living in residential care facilities. Ombudsmen visit facilities to speak directly to the residents, ensure they know their rights and investigate their complaints. Families comparing assisted living facilities can also use AZ Care Check, a searchable database of assisted living facilities, including information the Department of Health Services holds about them, which may include deficiencies.
VA Aid and Attendance Benefits(800) 827-1000The VA Aid and Attendance benefit helps U.S. military veterans and their spouses meet some of the costs of their residential care facilities. Payments can differ between individuals, with the maximum payments being $1,881 for a single vet, $2,230 for a couple and $1,209 for a surviving spouse. Vets unsure if they qualify can check by using the free tool on the VeteranAid.org website.
Arizona Long-Term Care – Medicaid(888) 621-6880Arizona Long-Term Care (ALTCS) is a Medicaid program that can help seniors who qualify reside in an assisted living community with some or all of their costs met by Medicaid. It’s available to adults aged 65 and older whose incomes fall within the limits of the program. Successful applicants must also prove that they need nursing home levels of care, are U.S. citizens (or legal residents) and reside in Arizona.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Phoenix

Phoenix-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Arizona are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Phoenix