Surrounded by the fiery landscape of the Sonoran Desert, Phoenix is Arizona’s capital and most populous city. Of its more than 1.6 million residents, 10.6% are seniors over the age of 65. Several of Arizona’s best medical facilities are located in Phoenix, including the Mayo Clinic, which has ranked number one in the state for several consecutive years. It has also ranked nationally for 11 specialties, including geriatrics, cardiology and orthopedics.

Nursing homes cater to seniors with medical conditions requiring 24-hour supervision and skilled nursing care. Seniors who don’t require the around-the-clock medical care offered in a nursing home may find that assisted living or in-home care is a better fit. In addition to allowing seniors to live more independently, the cost savings can be substantial considering that the average cost for a semiprivate room in a Phoenix nursing home is $9,247 a month, which is more than double the average cost for assisted living.

This guide overviews the costs of nursing home care in Phoenix and compares it to other cities in Arizona as well as other types of care. It also includes resources that can help pay for or delay the need for nursing home care.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Phoenix, AZ

The Palazzo Skilled Nursing & Rehab

6250 N 19th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85015

I am a family member of someone who was admitted to the Skilled nursing floor. I can say, what you get is not what they portray when visiting. They praise themselves with accolades, but behavior shows … (read more)

The Palazzo

6246 N 19 Th Ave, Phoenix, AZ, 85015

The care that my brother is receiving at The Palazzo is inadequate. He’s in their skilled nursing section. The staff members are overworked. Some of them are very caring, just overworked and overstres … (read more)

2020

Sagewood

4555 East Mayo Blvd, Phoenix, AZ, 85050

The Terraces of Phoenix

7550 North 16Th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

My husband was in rehab at The Terraces of Phoenix for ten days. It’s senior living, they have memory care, they have apartments for assisted living, and then they have skilled rehab. They really have … (read more)

North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center

9155 North Third Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

I was at No Mtn for 3 weeks. The facility exceeded my expectation. The staff was attentive, friendly and knew what they were doing. The physical therapy department was exceptional. I would reco … (read more)

SWAN Rehab

1190 E Missouri Avenue, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ, 85014

SWAN Rehab was a good place. They do a lot of physical activity with you. They were just excellent. I really liked it. That’s the only place I really liked to be honest. They had speech therapy with m … (read more)

Coronado Healthcare Center

11411 NORTH 19TH AVE, Phoenix, AZ, 85029

Hell on earth. If you want your loved one to experience neglect and theft, you will find it here. If you want to call 9 times in a day and not be able to get anyone at the nurses station to answer t … (read more)

Acacia Health Center at Sagewood

4555 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix, AZ, 85050

My husband is staying at Acacia Health Center at Sagewood. They’re pretty attentive to him; the food is decent, it’s very clean, and in a nice area. Those are the main things I like about it. The room … (read more)

La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

15810 SOUTH 42ND STREET, Phoenix, AZ, 85048

Understaffed- Neglectful seem uncaring. I requested help in getting her relocated which would be in her best interests, and no guidance or assistance. They blame their condition on the patient and the … (read more)

Christian Care Nursing Center

11812 N 19TH AVE, Phoenix, AZ, 85029

This is rigged. I wrote my review and it’s still rated high. I think Melody was an excellent CNA. She was very conscious. A CNA Shasta, a beautiful women was full of compassion, caring and soothing. C … (read more)

Life Care Center of Paradise Valley

4065 E BELL RD, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

My husband was in the Life Care Center of Paradise Valley. He was there for rehab for a couple of months. It’s the worst place anybody can send even his enemy to. The staff is the pits. He just didn’t … (read more)

Phoenix Mountain Post-Acute

13232 N Tatum Blvd. Phoenix, AZ 85032, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

This was a terrible place for my mom to stay after being in the hospital. She was supposed to go there to gain weight and get strionger, she was told they only had frozen food and couldn’t even bake … (read more)

Windsor Maryland Gardens

31 West Maryland Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85013

My Mom is a 63 yr old dementia resident here with behavioral problems. Even though my first thoughts were OMG this place is so small and care givers are not giving enough attention to everyone, I foun … (read more)

Ridgecrest Healthcare

16640 North 38th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85032

Facility is good but the staff at residents are overworked with too many residents to handle. They cannot provide adequate attention in need to residents. I had to pull my family member out of there d … (read more)

South Mountain Post Acute

8008 S. JESSE OWENS PARKWAY, Phoenix, AZ, 85042

My father stayed at South Mountain Post Acute. I thought it was great. He was there for about five weeks. When I went in every time, they were very good. I like its friendliness. It makes a difference … (read more)

Camelback Post-Acute Care and Rehabilitation

4635 NORTH 14TH STREET, Phoenix, AZ, 85014

My Mom was sent here from St. Joe’s for rehab. She stayed for maybe 2 hours. We call it “One flew over the cuckoo’s nest”. She was transported at 9:30 p.m., was put in a small room with a … (read more)

Haven Health Phoenix

4202 NORTH 20TH AVENUE, Phoenix, AZ, 85015

Rooms are large and don’t feel crowded with 2: of us. The interactions with the staff are all ways friendly and nice. Popular activities are bingo and card night. In-house laundry is handy, often sa … (read more)

Desert Terrace Nursing Center

2509 North 24Th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85008

I would NEVER recommend anyone go to this place. My brother was transferred to Desert Terrace from St Josephs Hospital he has a brain tumor and short term memory. After less than one week I received … (read more)

Desert Haven Care Center

2645 EAST THOMAS ROAD, Phoenix, AZ, 85016

The room was barely big enough for a bed, there was dirty linens strung out all over the place. he went in with a least 20 pairs of socks, he had none in his drawer. they brought him in smelling of st … (read more)

Capri at the Pointe Rehab

1501 E ORANGEWOOD AVENUE, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

Please believe all the bad reviews from this disgusting place…my father was practically held captive at this place. It took us over 6 months to get my father discharged…only a few people speak Eng … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Phoenix, AZ

On a monthly basis, Phoenix seniors pay an average of $9,247 for a semiprivate room and $10,646 for private nursing home accommodations.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The median monthly cost of a semiprivate room in a Phoenix nursing home is $9,247, making it the state’s most expensive city for nursing home care. On average, seniors in Phoenix spend $2,403 more than the majority of the state’s seniors and $1,491 more than the United States’ average. At $5,627 a month, Flagstaff offers the cheapest nursing home care in Arizona, while Lake Havasu has the state’s second-most expensive with its average of $7,437. The $6,844 average in Prescott Valley is on par with the Arizona median, whereas seniors in Yuma pay $7,118.

$9247

Prescott Valley

$7437

Lake Havasu

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing homes have Phoenix’s most expensive type of care by a wide margin. For an average month-long stay in a private room at a Phoenix nursing home, seniors can receive two months of either in-home care or home health care with money left over. Assuming the average rate of $3,700, the cost for three months of care at a Phoenix assisted living facility is only 4.3% more than one month of care in a nursing home’s private room. By choosing a semiprivate room, seniors will typically save $1,399 a month.

$5148

Adult day health care

$3700

Assisted living

$9247

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$10646

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Phoenix, AZ

Free Resources for Seniors in Phoenix, AZ

Seniors have access to several resources that can help them pay for or delay the need for nursing home care. Programs that can offset in-home care expenses prior to moving to a nursing facility as well as resources that can subsidize the costs of care within a nursing home are included below.

ResourceContactService
Family Caregiver Support Program(888) 264-2258The Family Caregiver Support Program allows family members caring for loved ones aged 60 and over to receive temporary relief through respite care provided either in-home or at an adult day health care center. The program also allows caregivers to choose a respite care worker and be reimbursed by the agency.
Home-Delivered Meals Program(888) 264-2258Managed by the Area Agency on Aging Region One, the Home-Delivered Meals Program ensures seniors with limited mobility meet their nutritional needs by sending a well-balanced hot meal to their home every day. To qualify, seniors must be homebound and lack both the ability to prepare their own food as well as a friend or family member who can cook meals for them.
Senior Adult Independent Living(602) 264-4357The S.A.I.L. program provides seniors aged 60 and older with a variety of in-home services, including personal care, homemaking assistance, home-delivered meals and adult day health care. Weekly nursing services, such as assistance preparing insulin injections and health care monitoring, are available as well. While usually free, home nursing recipients occasionally have to share the costs for services.
Arizona Long Term Care System(602) 253-6385ALTCS is an Arizona Medicaid program for seniors requiring a nursing home level of care. Participants are assigned case managers who develop service plans that may include care in a nursing facility, in-home care, hospice services and medical services, including physician visits and prescriptions. Services are provided at little to no cost depending on the individual’s income and assets.