Houston is the largest city in Texas with a population of 2,320,268 and 10.3% of residents over the age of 65. The city has excellent medical facilities and hospitals, including Houston Methodist Hospital, which is ranked number one in Texas and 20th in the country on the U.S. News Best Hospitals list. Houston, which is home to a number of senior care communities, is one of the best-priced locations for nursing home care with an average monthly cost of $5,267, which is well below the national average of $7,756.

Nursing home care is for seniors who require constant medical care and assistance. Some seniors only require nursing home care for a short period of time before they are well enough to go to other senior care options such as assisted living or in-home care. These types of care are often a better option for seniors financially and socially.

This guide is aimed at assisting seniors who are looking at nursing home care in Houston and nearby cities. Information discussed below includes the costs of nursing home care in Houston and surrounding cities, the costs of other types of care and free resources for seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Houston, TX

Treemont Retirement Community

2501 Westerland Drive, Houston, TX, 77063

My husband is in Treemont right now. He is in the skilled nursing, and it is close to my home. It is the best choice for me to be able to go to him. I think the nurses are better than the others. Also … (read more)

Treemont Health Care Center

2501 Westerland Drive, Houston, TX, 77063

My friend is in the nursing home. The staff is very friendly to both me and my friend. They take good care of him and keep me informed about his condition. The facility is clean and there is no offe … (read more)

2013

The Forum At Memorial Woods

777 North Post Oak Road, Houston, TX, 77024

The Forum At Memorial Woods feels like every person who works there really sincerely cares about our family. It’s not the most beautiful place, but it certainly is the most homey. It feels really good … (read more)

Brookdale Galleria

2929 Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX, 77056

It was very apparent this place, especially when family members cannot see what is happening, is only interested in being a revolving door for Medicare money and care of the people they are trusted wi … (read more)

The Buckingham

8580 Woodway, Houston, TX, 77063

The Buckingham was a beautiful facility. The staff was very attentive and my friend enjoyed her stay there. She was doing some rehabilitation, and each time I visited it was clean, well taken care of, … (read more)

Brookdale Willowbrook Place

7450 Willowchase Blvd., Houston, TX, 77070

My dad stayed at Brookdale Willowbrook. I would rate every single thing about that place a one. It was abysmal, and my dad nearly died there. He was sent there from a hospital to get antibiotics, and … (read more)

Holly Hall Retirement Community

2000 Holly Hall Street, Houston, TX, 77054

Staff and food great! Garden beautiful. Nurses caring and gave meds correctly. Would highly recommend.

St. Dominic Village

2409 E HOLCOMBE BLVD, Houston, TX, 77021

Decent for a nursing home. My mom loves it.
Decent for a nursing home. My mom loves it.

Brazos Towers at Bayou Manor

4141 S Braeswood Blvd, Houston, TX, 77025

TIRR Memorial Hermann

1333 Moursund Street, Houston, TX, 77030

We went to TIRR Memorial Hermann, and that was a wonderful place; however, Gala was not ready for that level of therapy at the time in her journey with her strokes. It’s a very wonderful place; they … (read more)

Clarewood House

7400 CLAREWOOD DR, Houston, TX, 77036

Staff was pleasant, but the meals could have been better. They were nutritional, but a little bland and not a lot of variety, which was a complaint from our great aunt. Room was taken care of and clea … (read more)

The Village Healthcare Center

1341 BLALOCK, Houston, TX, 77055

My mother is at Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center. My father was in the same nursing home and I had no issues. They did a pretty good job with my father, but I’m having some issues right … (read more)

Bridgecrest Rehabilitation Suites

14100 Karissa Court, Houston, TX, 77049

My dad is at Bridgecrest Rehabilitation Suites for skilled nursing. It’s good. They’re very careful with him. They provide rehab, laundry, and meals. Because my dad can’t get out of bed, they’re also … (read more)

Victory Home Health

9950 Westpark Dr # 426, , Houston, TX, 77063

Victory Home Health serviced me the after surgery, I am not elderly, but I had an extensive surgery. The services that they had were I have somebody to come in that helped me and assisted me from the … (read more)

Garden Terrace of Houston

7887 CAMBRIDGE ST, Houston, TX, 77054

This is a great place. Doesn’t smell. However, I’d called for the social worker days later she called back. She was short in speaking to me. I went there to speak to her to no avail. My calling her ag … (read more)

The Concierge

2310 South Eldridge Parkway, Houston, TX, 77077

Notice how the reviews have changed in 2021! I had a loved one there for 17 days this year and I would repeat: DO NOT PUT A LOVED ONE IN THIS FACILITY. The phones do not get answered. When someone … (read more)

Seven Acres Jewish Senior Care Services, Inc

6200 North Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77074

Long overdue review, but this should be said. After Hurricane Harvey blew through the city, leaving destruction in its wake, Seven Acres added to the stress and confusion of the aftermath with the fol … (read more)

Silverado Hermann Park

5600 Chenevert Street, Houston, TX, 77004

Colonial Oaks Senior Living at Westchase

11395 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX, 77082

The facility is up-to-date, attractive, and very clean. The staff was very friendly to us, as guests, and to the people who live in the complex. I felt as though the treatment to the residents was n … (read more)

West Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation

3625 GREEN CREST, Houston, TX, 77082

West Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation have a very nice environment. It’s a nursing home but it seems very homey and very welcoming. The staff is really nice and very caring. It’s super clean and they d … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Houston, TX

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Houston is $5,627 for a semiprivate room and $7,635 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average cost of nursing home care in Houston is $5,627 per month. This is more expensive than the state average of $5,019 per month. Nursing home care in Houston costs $2,129 less than the national average of $7,756, making it a good option financially for those looking at nursing home care. The neighboring cities of Dallas, Austin and San Antonio all have lower average monthly costs for nursing home care than Houston.

$5627

Austin

$5338

San Antonio

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care in Houston has an average cost of $5,627 per month for a semi-private room and $7,635 for a private room. The cheapest senior care option in Houston is Adult Health Day Care at an average cost of $1,138 per month. The average cost of homemaker services is $4,290 per month and the average cost of home health aide services is $4,290 per month. Assisted Living facilities have an average monthly charge of $4,750.

$5627

$1138

Adult Health Day Care

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Houston, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in Houston, TX

The city of Houston has a large population of senior citizens and provides a number of free resources and services to help them. The resources in this table may assist those wanting to remain living independently in their homes and those living in a nursing home.

ResourceContactServices
Senior Box Program(832) 369-9390The Senior Box program, which is run by the Houston Food Bank, provides income-eligible seniors with a box of nonperishable food items each month. The boxes, which are supplied by the USDA and the Food Bank, include produce items and health care items that seniors may need. Seniors must pick up their box each month from one of the distribution centers located throughout the city.
Catholic Charities(712) 526-4611Catholic Charities is a faith-based volunteer organization. The program’s services to seniors in Houston include comprehensive in-home health assessments, mental health assessments and support, group programs and monitoring via phone calls and in-home visits.
Houston Health Department(832) 393-4301The Houston Health Department runs the local Agency on Aging. One of its main services is delivering meals to homebound seniors on a daily basis. There is no charge for the meals, but income regulations do apply. Additional services offered include congregate site meals, Medicaid enrollment assistance, evidence-based health classes, in-home care and support services, and long-term care ombudsman services.