43 Assisted Living Facilities near Chicago, IL
There are 43 Assisted Living Facilities in the Chicago area, with 40 in Chicago and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Chicago is $4,089 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Oak Park with an average starting cost of $4,085.
To help you with your search, browse the 293 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Chicago. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Chicago 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lincolnwood with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 16 families in Chicago find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Chicago, call (855) 863-8283.
40 Assisted Living Facilities in Chicago, IL
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Chicago, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chicago
Between the many parks, beaches, art galleries, parades, theatres, music festivals and food festivals, Chicago, Illinois, offers plenty of entertainment for all of its residents including the 277,932 seniors who reside there. Seniors who need some help with daily tasks like grooming and housekeeping can choose from the 39 assisted living facilities in the city.
In Chicago, as in the rest of Illinois, assisted living communities may be classified as supportive living facilities, sheltered care facilities, assisted living establishments or shared housing establishments. All of these facilities are licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chicago
- Chicago has a great public transportation system, the CTA, which includes a large network of city buses, an 11-line commuter rail system and a bus and paratransit system. Chicago is also one of the largest passenger rail service hubs in the country.
- Chicago has violent crime rates of 49.5 and property crime rates of 46.3, both higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4. While most assisted living facilities have 24-hour security to provide residents with peace of mind, the city's crime rates may be a consideration for seniors interested in relocating to the area.
- Social Security benefits, pensions and retirement savings account income are not taxed in Illinois. Chicago seniors may find that Illinois tax laws leave them with more money to spend on entertainment.
- Chicago's cost of living is 117.8, higher than the national average of 100. Seniors can expect to pay less for groceries and healthcare expenses as both are lower than the national average; however, they will need to budget more money for transportation, which ranks 60 points higher than the average.
- Chicago has a wet climate with 38 inches of rain and 37 inches of snow annually. The city only gets 189 sunny days per year, 16 less than the national average of 205, which may be of concern to seniors who enjoy spending lots of time outdoors.
- The Chicago area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mount Sinai Hospital and Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chicago
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Chicago start around $4,089 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chicago
Eligible seniors who reside in Chicago can apply for Supplemental Security Income - Category G (SSI-G) to receive financial assistance for covering the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chicago
Chicago and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chicago, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chicago
Chicago-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Chicago, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Chicago
Review of Sunrise of Lincoln Park
I have to confess that I am a pretty squeaky wheel at this place. My uncle has been here since 2015, and as he gets older, he just needs more help, so I ask for it. Happily, the staff at Sunrise ... Read more
Review of Autumn Green at Midway Village
My mom was in Autumn Green at Midway Village. She was in a suite that had another person in a separate bedroom, it was very nice, and it was well kept. The staff was nice and she liked the place. S... Read more
Review of Friedman Place
Amazing place for those with significant vision loss. Everything is set up enable residents to be as independent as possible. Color contrasts around doors, talking elevators, assistive technology a... Read more