Brookdale Lake View

Reviews of Brookdale Lake View

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake View

July 20, 2016

By Laura447823

I like Brookdale Lake View because it’s very friendly and really nice. It was like being in someone’s home. The dining area was very nice.

August 21, 2015

By Virginia45

My mother was in the independent living of Brookdale Lakeview, and she decided to move into their assisted living facility. The director of the assisted living is very warm and welcoming. They have activities.

May 22, 2015

By Mark106638350

We went to Brookdale, and it was really nice. Dad liked Broodale. It was beautiful. If he was going anywhere, he would have wanted to go to Brookdale. The director took us around, gave us lunch, and showed us the different apartments. Everything was nice and well kept. Dad enjoyed the food. It was very welcoming. Every Friday, they had some kind of sing-a-long, and my dad liked to sing. They had activities going on like scrabble and bingo, and they had a game room. They had trips to casinos. They took them out for meals if they wanted to go and trips to the store and doctor's appointments.

November 29, 2014

I visited Brookdale Lake View for my mother. What gives Brookdale Lake View an edge from the other facility is that their bathrooms had been more extensively and more carefully modernized and the additional thing that puts it very high is the location in Lakeview. Food was very good too. The staff was wonderful. First of all, they were extremely well-informed, welcoming, friendly, and candid in their responses. From what I observed in two visits, they had a very good open and friendly relationship with all the residents, so that was very attractive to me.

July 03, 2014

By Clarence5

I like the rooms at Brookdale because they did not have the theme of a hospital. The staff there looks after the residents very nicely. I don't have any complaints at all about the place.

May 29, 2014

By Jessica19

Our visit at Kenwood at Lake was great. The building was beautiful, but it was just a bit out of our price range. The staff were great and very helpful. Their rooms were very nice. Overall, everything was wonderful and I wish we could afford it.

April 11, 2014

I found Kenwood nice. I like the way they treated the patients who were there. They had a social worker, and I was impressed with that. It was very structured as far as the activities that they had for people. The staff looked to be OK. We looked at the people who were there. They looked like they were satisfied.

March 20, 2014

By Jere1

Kenwood was adequate. It looked like it was going to work out just fine. The staff was okay. I don't have any bad feelings about them. I was looking more of an overview and I asked a few questions. They were able to give me answers quickly and confidently. It seems like they'll take care of the residents well. It was within the budget that we were looking at. They had different rooms, but we were looking at just the studio and 1-bedroom because mother was not going to get around.

By Martha26

Kenwood of Lakeview was recommended by the nursing home. The staff has been very helpful and very kind. The room is quite comfortable. There's a lot going on. They have a whole lot of organized activities, they take residents by bus to several nearby stores, and they also have a library. Most residents are in independent living.

By jazimama

For me my visit at Kenwood of Lake View was very helpful. Their apartments were functional. The residents have their own individual apartments. The staff was fine. They're very supportive and friendly. The facility, however, was divided into two parts of a building and you have to go through certain floors in order to be able to go to other building if you don't have to go outside, so it's a little confusing.

July 30, 2012

By ghasda123

The facilities seemed extremely clean when I visited the property about a year ago. Everyone seemed relatively friendly there and the residents seemed to enjoy the overall experience of the place. Everyone was very professional as they were there to help those who couldn't live by themselves. Being in Chicago, the exterior wasn't the best I wish it could have been more scenic with more nature but thats understandable due to location. The visit was a good one and I will always keep the facility in my mind in the future. There was something very memorable about it which I could probably attribute to the wonderful residents of Kenwood. There were many programs for the people and they seemed friendly in inviting anyone to join along and help out in whatever way they could.

June 29, 2012

By TRUTHBETOLD

THIS LOCATION WAS VERY DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PLACES, I HAVE BEEN. THE STAFF WASN'T FRIENDLY, THE BUILDINGS CLEANLINESS WAS NOT GREAT, I FELT THAT MY AUNTS SPIRIT WAS VERY LOW AND SHE WASN'T ATTENDED TO AS OFTEN AS THEY SAID THEY WOULD. WE WERE THERE FOR FIVE HOURS AND HAD TO ASK ABOUT DIFFERENT ISSUES, CONCERNING MY FRIENDS AUNT. THE WORKER HAD A VERY NASTY ATTITUDE. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND A PLACE LIKE THIS. IF I COULD HAVE TAKEN MY FRIENDS AUNT HOME, I WOULD HAVE. AN INSPECTION, NEEDS TO BE DONE, BEFORE LOVED ONES ARE PLACED IN THESE PLACES.THE SECON VISIT, DIDN'T CHANGE AFTER WE HAD COMPLAINED TO MANAGEMENT, SO FINALLY, MY FRIENDS FAMILT DECIDED TO TAKE HER OUT OF THIS PLACE AND TAKE CARE OF HER THEMSELVES, ROTATING DUTIES. MY FRIENDS AUNT IS IN MUCH BETTER SPIRITS THESE DAYS AND IS RECEIVING THE NEEDED ATTENTION DESERVED AND DUE TO HER. THERFORE, BEHAVIOR IS EVERTHING WHEN GOING TO THESE PLACES. IF THE PERSON LIVING THERE IS HAPPY, SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG.

February 28, 2012

By vickloveesyou

The people and residents at The Kenwood seem extremely pleased with their lives. The elderly have a variety of activities that seem to keep them busy and entertained as well as alone time for those assisted residents who prefer to keep as much of their independence as they can. I have never heard a negative thing from the workers i know there or the few residents i occasionally assist. It is an all around fun place to visit and i would imagine its a great place to live. The building itself is also beautifully designed, kept clean and warm in the winter and cold in the summer. The rooms and apartments are wonderful sized. Everyone seems to be well taken care of and equally independent. The Kenwood is a WONDERFUL establishment.

June 22, 2011

By BevDivision

I visited years ago and from what I remember, I was impressed. The staff was super kind and ready to interact with visitors and residents. We participated in games and activities. I even helped with the activities. I noticed that the staff members were extremely cooperative and eager to take part in these activities. My friend who has been a resident for years and still is really enjoys it there. He has been moved around a couple of times, but I think he found his place with Kenwood. I plan to visit him very soon.

May 25, 2011

By commercesd

Visited this facility

We visited The Kenwood of Lake View on Chicago"˜s north side as a possible place for our 90-year old grandmother to live. She used to live in the suburbs, but we wanted to find somewhere closer into the city so that we could visit her regularly. Since the Kenwood is right near Lincoln Park, it is very easy to get to from anywhere in the city. We also liked that it has easy access to Lake Michigan. Lincoln Park is well known in the Chicago area as a really nice residential community, which is also a plus. This location also makes it easy for them to arrange outings to the many shopping, restaurant and other activities in the area. Food is offered menu style and all of the choices looked really appetizing. They have an on-site wellness clinic which is great since our grandmother has some health issues. She loves to get out as much as she can, but is not as ambulatory as she used to be, so the group social events will be important to her. Our grandmother really enjoyed the café and garden terraces and the overall peaceful atmosphere at The Kenwood.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake View

November 15, 2015

By Kathleen115829050

Our visit to Brookdale was a wonderful experience. We had dinner, which looked like we'd gone out to a restaurant. It was beautiful. The facility was excellent.

September 26, 2015

By Barbara103283750

I visited Brookdale Lake View (Formerly Kenwood of Lake View) and it was nice, very clean, and the food was good.

June 08, 2015

By Tom106501550

We visited Brookdale Lake View. We didn't like that one. It was very outdated. It needed a lobby renovation, and something needed to update in the common areas too. However, the tour was very good. The rooms were very large. The room sizes were great, but we didn't consider it because my parents would not be comfortable with the views. It seemed very old in the hallways, and it was long and had confusing corridors. You could really get lost if you were someone elderly. However, we liked that the rooms were big.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We are committed to continuous quality service and care and will share your feedback with our management team.

January 18, 2015

By Suzanne22

Brookdale Lake View didn't have the larger apartments or they have very few of them. During the course of my investigation on what is available and what might work, I was thinking maybe my husband and I would move in somewhere together. At the same time I was looking at places where it's just he who would live. At the Lake View, I didn't feel that we would be very comfortable there together. It's also more expensive. The dining area is very nice and very pleasant. It's really lovely. I think they have white tablecloths on the tables all the time. I'm not positive of that, but I'm sure they did while we were there for lunch. Lunch was excellent. The food is very good. The staff who I met was lovely. They are very nice people. The person I was referred to for the tour kept in touch with me. That's very nice. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the activities because it wasn't going to work out. It's an independent living facility for seniors and then they have assisted living services available in a kind of menu of choices. But by the time you add its cost to the basic cost of the apartment, it became for us prohibitively expensive.

October 18, 2014

Brookdale Plaza was nice, it was a little further and just had a lot of traffic. I was looking for something that was a little closer and it is independent living. The Brookdale was not as large but it was still big place, but it wasn’t as large as the other facility I went to in Sheridan. The staff was good, very helpful and answered all my questions.

April 11, 2014

By Barbara82655750

My husband and I both liked Kenwood, but the person who we were looking for lives in a small town, and she was not sure that she wanted to live in a high rise. I thought it would be a good choice because it was close to where we live. It looked very clean. It looked like there was a lot of activities and services for seniors: arts and crafts, there was sing-along, and ceramics. The fact that you could get your hair done there was great. We picked it because we thought she would want to bring her own furniture. The rooms were really nice. They had beautiful views of the lake.

March 20, 2014

Kenwood of Lake View was more for unassisted living. So we knew it was not appropriate for what we were looking for. It seemed fine. I thought the staff was very nice. It's just more for someone that could be on their own, and that was not what we were looking for at the time. They seemed very nice and the people were very helpful and willing to share information. The rooms looked fine. I like the location.

By jazimama

September 09, 2013

By Kathryn RJT

The Kenwood is an Independent and Assisted living senior community located close to Belmont Harbor, Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan, in fact the studio apartments are all on the lakeview side of the building, would that my Mother chose that instead of a one bedroom with a street view she would get to see some great sunrises and the weather fronts coming off the lake. As she has not moved in yet I cannot tell you what that is like, though I can tell you this. The staff is absolutely wonderful and have been so helpful to me through the process of touring, setting up the lease particulars, accommodating my mid month move of Mom and helping me to make this time go as smoothly as possible. Every time I have visited from the first moment I can tell you this, the staff is great the residents all interact with each other and the staff so warmly and courteously and each person I have asked (on the sly ;)) has said they love living there. One lady said she did not want to move from her condo where she was so alone and cried daily and her kids practically dragged her to The Kenwood and on the first day she decided she loved it. She is involved with other residents and the activities and has loved the change in her life as she finds it way less lonely and alienating as that condo she lived in where she could go days before passing another person to say good morning or good evening to. The folks that work there eat there and one man I know from past career history said the food is excellent. Yesterday I went there to install some premove stuff in my Mom's place and there were a bunch of residents enjoying a live music performance. Everything is close and there is a Kenwood shuttle as well as public transportation at the door and more cabs than you can wave a hand at, blocks away there are stores and a movie theater and just way too many places to visit for anyone to say they are bored though if your loved one gets involved in the activities at The Kenwood there won't be much time for all that neighborhood traipsing.

August 28, 2013

By Lois9

I would give Kenwood a high rating because of its appearance and also because of all that are included with the rent. They have assisted living in case you would need that. They can also arrange for nursing and hospice care if necessary. They have contacts for all those things. I have a cancer and I don't know how much life I have left, so these features are appealing to me.

July 30, 2013

By Sharon26

Kenwood of Lakeview is a big building and they have a very small space at the back with a little patio and a barbeque grill. They have studios and one-bedroom apartments. They also have a good lunch room. The staff is pretty good. They have activities. They have a computer room. They have exercise and yoga going on down there. But they don't have a lot of outdoor activities because they don't have the land for that. I would recommend them to others.

January 30, 2012

By Caring201973

If you have the means to afford to live at The Kenwood, I would recommend it for people who like stodgy elegance and don't mind fuzzy living with a little pretentiousness. For one thing there seems to be a lot of rules here. For example, you can only enter from the side street, not on Sheridan Road (where there is a door and an intercom) even if you beg the person through the intercom that it is cold out. Indeed the winds can be quite chilly from the lakefront on a wintry day and a couple of times I felt that I would be blown away. Upon entering the lobby, there is either a female or male concierge -- both who speak very succinctly -- and you must sign in. And while the female concierge doesn't actually wears long white gloves, you think that she must. The lobby is spacious with chandeliers and a piano and is actually two floors, but I hardly ever see anybody in it. There is a long staircase to get to the second floor and then you need to walk in a kind of an el shape pathway to get to the elevators to the upstairs apartments. I'm sure there is an easier way, but I just don't know it. The apartments themselves are large with nice views and full- size kitchens. Nothing shabby here. I knew a woman who was over a 100 who resided in a one bedroom. She had large bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. She was running out of funds and her family felt that the place was not helpful in terms of negotiating a lower price. Don't get me wrong, if you have the means to afford to live here, this is an upscale, highly desirable facility which is representative of the community -- I just did not find it welcoming.

Questions about Brookdale Lake View

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Lake View. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Currently, 82…. Some are more active than others and participate in various activities.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake View offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Al residents are invited to join and participate in all activities and programs that are offered to IL residents. Presentations, musical entertainment, art classes, gardening club, book club are just a few.

What places are near Brookdale Lake View or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

BKD LV has a wonderful location, one block off Lake Michigan and next door parks, restaurants and shopping. It is located in the heart of the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, which is one of the premiere neighborhoods in Chicago.

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake View offer to assisted living residents?

BKD LV has its own van to assist residents with shopping, doctor visits, etc…

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake View exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

All meals are prepared by Chefs and served off of menus. There is a choice of at least 6 entrees on a daily basis for both lunch and dinner… one side of the menu is changed out monthly and the other side is changed out daily for both lunch and dinner based on the residents suggestions. There is a “menu chat weekly for the residents to discuss the menu with the DR Director and Chef. Soups are made daily from scratch and Brookdale Signature Bread is baked fresh daily. The Convenient Store offers lunch items, bakery and misc.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake View offer to assisted living residents?

Pull cords in bathrooms and bedrooms, pendants, safety bars in the bathroom specifically placed for each individual resident. 24/7 staffing.

How does Brookdale Lake View keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

The Director of Assisted living oversees the staffing and communication between residents and their families.

If Brookdale Lake View accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

BKD LV is a block from a great park where people can bring their dogs. We are a pet friendly community.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale Lake View. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age is between late 70s and mid 80s. We have residents with a vast array of backgrounds, professions and accomplishments.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

BKDLV is a short walking distance from shopping, restaurants, and the bus stop is right outside out building. We are also 15 minutes from downtown theatres and numerous cultural opportunities.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale Lake View has organized?

Museum of Mexican Art, Harry Carey Lunch and Chicago Sports Museum, Russian Tea Time Outing, Broadway in Chicago-Hello Dolly! Northlight Outing, Mansfield Park.

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake View offer to independent living residents?

BKD LV has its own van that runs on a scheduled basis to local doctors, shops, etc….

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake View exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

The Living Room is large with separate comfortable spaces for visiting, playing cards, or games, playing the piano or just to sit by the fireplace. The Sheridan Room is large and accommodates Happy Hour, presentations, and the larger events that are scheduled. There is also a library, art studio, fitness center, and the pre dine area where residents can meet to chat or relax with a book.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake View offer to independent living residents?

24/7 Conceirge service. Pull cords in every bathroom and bedroom. Grab bars placed as needed on an individualized basis. Pendants are available. Monthly Fire Drills.

Close proximity to a large park.

Does Brookdale Lake View work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

The Wellness center is open M-F for our IL residents. It is through Presence St Joseph Hospital. Doctors from various hospitals and Podiatrists schedule individual visits.

Photos of Brookdale Lake View

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Lake View

• Nurse On Staff: Available During Business Hours

• Spanish

About Brookdale Lake View

Brookdale Lake View provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Lake View