Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

Reviews of Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

February 25, 2015

By Wanda23

I have settled on Brookdale Lake Shore Drive. I really love that place, the layout of the apartments, the food, and the view, and they have nice planned activities. I actually visited it several times. I went there with my friend, and we both really liked it, and then my husband went and he loved it too. My first impression was that it was easy to find, that they have valet parking, and it is a nice feature. Then, you walk under a canopy -- you don't have to go out into the rain or the snow from where you leave your car to going into the facility -- and then the facility itself is just absolutely beautiful. It looks like a luxury hotel. If you have people visiting you, I think it really makes a lovely first impression. The food is just extraordinarily good. I like the apartments. The finishes are white, and I'm told that if I get an apartment before they redo it, I can choose a cabinet front for the kitchen.

December 27, 2014

By Linda99248250

I visited Brookdale. I talked to a very lovely lady there. The facility seemed nice. I didn't spend a lot of time there because this place was a pay-by-month, and if you run out of money, you're out. The facility was OK. It was very clean. Things seemed to be orderly; however, I didn't find it warm. It is not some place I would want to move, nor would I want to put my parents there. If you're in the ALF or in ILF and your spouse was in the nursing home, and you want to go visit them, the walk was unbelievable. The walking distance was terrible.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

December 10, 2014

The rooms at Brookdale Plaza were spacious, clean, and well-ventilated. The facility was secure. They had activities like bingo and stuff.

September 23, 2014

By Alice30

My visit at Brookdale Plaza Lake Shore Drive was fine. They were nice people. The room was spacious enough. The place was beautiful. I would recommend anybody to visit this place.

July 19, 2014

By Beverly40

I visited The Hallmark (Brookdale Plaza Lake Shore Drive), and the neighborhood was very nice. I have lived in the neighborhood myself before. The grounds were nice, and it was nicely landscaped. The rooms were lovely. It was just like a little apartment. They had studios, one-room, and two-room units. The dining area was set up like a restaurant, and it was very nice. I had a taste of their food, and it was pretty much standard. The staff was nice. I thought for the assisted living part of it, we had to access everything through an elevator. My mother uses a wheelchair or walker, and that was a little difficult for her.

March 27, 2014

By Barbara78379350

The Hallmark is a relatively new facility. The rooms were wonderful. The size was great. The view was terrific. They have arts, movies, water aerobics, sewing classes and flower gardening. They have men and women groups. They have a wide range of activities.

March 20, 2014

By Jere1

The facility itself and the location worked very well for us, but I can't get my mother to commit to anything at this point. Hallmark seemed adequate and would work out just as well. It seemed fine for what they had to do. With the budget that we had in mind, it was adequate. That's where we figure it was going to be. We had some interaction with the other residents there, and also with the staff itself. We talked about other things as far as laundry, if somebody would be able to take care of that because she was not going to be able to do any of that so there was housekeeping.

February 24, 2014

By Mary86288450

We were able to visit The Hallmark of Chicago and the facility was very nice, well kept, and the staff were very friendly. The dining room was beautiful. We had lunch there and the food was good. With the activities, they have outings and they provide transportation. They also have a workout area like a fitness facility.

January 31, 2014

By jazimama

At The Hallmark of Chicago, the ambience and the rooms were fair; however, the lobbies were kind of drab. There were lots of dark woods and dark colors. Nevertheless, the facility was definitely clean. The staff was pretty friendly. They would greet the residents and they pretty well know everybody in the building. What stands out to me was the rapport of the staff. For the residents, this facility was convenient. They did have different activities for them. They had a doctor's office in there, they had beauticians, banking, etc. This place did have lots of services.

September 19, 2013

By Donna30

The Hallmark was okay. This probably would have been my second choice. They showed me around and they were very gracious. They don't have what I need though.

August 10, 2013

By Jackie16

Everything I encountered was fine when I went to visit The Hallmark. I like the location most of all.

April 16, 2013

My uncle was a resident for two years at Hallmark Assisted Living. We were satisfied with them. They had to prepare food for so many people but he does have a microwave oven and if he wants to warm something up he can. Other than that, the staff seemed to be great. I would recommend this facility to others. They should improve on the parking lot because you have to pay. Other places have their own parking lot and you can just drive in and visit.

May 09, 2012

By Grandma'sBaby

I would not recommend this place for anyone's loved ones. It seemed the only time the staff were doing what they were supposed to do was after we visited the first time and complained about how they were treating my grandmother. Her gown was soiled, her bed was soiled, the changing pad was old and dirty and her hair was disshelved. My grandmother told me they were ignoring her when she called for water. Who does that? I started going there on the night shift and my cousin was there on the day shift. We both had a prior engagement on a Saturday where none of us were there. When I talked to my grandmother that Sunday, she told me they treated her well. We shouldn't have to result to telling them how to do their job in order for them to do their job. Especially when we are paying for her to be there.

January 10, 2012

By Caring201973

I personally wouldn't want to live at the Hallmark. This is not the kind of place that I would hang my hat and call home. To me it seems like a kind of snooty place with a doorman and a lobby that looks like something off the Gold Coast. I'm not sure if there is a dress code, but I would not feel comfortable wearing jeans or shorts. On the positive side, there is nothing institutional looking about the Hallmark either save for the numerous caregivers and other helpers who come in and out of the building. The lobby and the hallways are extremely clean and nothing smells bad. However, there is nothing relaxing about this place either. During the day this is a very busy place indeed. There is a driveway in front of the building and a doorman and a security guy behind the desk who wears a suit and is extremely conscious of who comes and goes. There are two different books to sign in -- one for the residents and guests and the other for the help. If you like living in the city and don't mind living in a high rise and dealing with occasional crowded elevators, this is an attractive place and especially nice if you are independent enough to get around and to make the most of the cultural sites of Chicago, such as the zoo and the museums. Street parking is almost impossible, but there is an underground parking garage for residents. Visiting nurses have to pay for the parking. The individual apartments which I've seen are nice. One bedroom apartments have usable kitchens and living rooms. The best feature in my opinion are the large-paned windows that give spectacular views of the Lake and the city. One gets the sense that you would have to be "somebody" in order to live here. Practically everyone I've seen can afford a caregiver to help them. The lobby is elegant looking and as you walk through the hall to the elevators you see a room with a pool table that looks like something that you would see in a grand hotel. One of the best features of the Hallmark in my opinion is a little deli which has some of the best prices for lunch in the area. The soup is delicious and the sandwiches good. You can even get half a sandwich if you want. Otherwise, there are two dining rooms where where people can eat. There is also a lovely outdoor patio.

September 29, 2011

By JohnAdams

Since my grandmother was getting to the age where someone had to take care of her we took he to The Hallmark because we had no time to take care of her around the clock. This facility is really great! The staff helped out my grandmother with whatever she needed. No request that my grandmother had was ignored and every staff member had a smile on their face. The facility is also a nice looking place. Most facilities like this seem gloomy and depressing when you walk in. This one doesn't even have a smell that most people would say causes nausea. There are regular activities that the staff does to keep the people entertained.The outside of the facility is also very attractive with lively flowers and fountains. The front desk is nice and has friendly people there to help you with whatever you need. If you live in Chicago and are looking for a nice, clean and good facility, this is the one.

May 25, 2011

By commercesd

Visited this facility

I was helping a friend look for a place for her mother with Alzheimer's to live and we found The Hallmark on gorgeous Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. It's easy to get to and there are views of the lake from everywhere in the facility. Downtown Chicago is adjacent, so going for outings will be very easy, since that area has so much to offer. The grounds are nicely kept and the staff seemed very capable of assisting her mother with the needs that a person with Alzheimer's has. This is very important to my friend - but she could see that handling her mother wouldn't be an issue there. They have many lifestyle choices so there are different kinds of people for her mother to interact with, which is also important. The calendar we were shown featured many types of special events and group activities. Her mother used to travel a lot, so the different cultures and cuisines offered were really interesting. We saw that residents can gather in the club room together and with families which makes visiting pleasant. My friend's mother particularly liked the beautiful garden terrace. We could see that she would be very happy there.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

January 31, 2014

By jazimama

August 01, 2013

By John65786650

The Hallmark was very nice. It is near the lake with a gorgeous views and the food is edible. They were mid-cost. They wouldn't charge you your whole saving. But like any other place, they were understaffed, but of course that's not something they would admit that to a client. But I would recommend them to others.

May 29, 2013

By Mari2

The apartments at The Hallmark were nice. They were a little small but it would probably be perfect for a single person. Some rooms were a little smaller for me, but I am used to a 3-bedroom house so it will take some time getting used to that. They have a library, a workout facility, and parking which will cost extra.

May 09, 2012

By Shane2

I wouldn't feel better putting my grandmother anywhere except here. The facilities are beautiful and the gold coast feel to the lobby makes one feel important. The atmosphere is always fresh and smells good, the staff is extremely understanding and helpful. My grandmother loves it here and because it is local I am able to visit her whenever I feel the need or desire to. I think that when people reach an age at which their life becomes difficult it is important for them to be placed in such an atmosphere as this one.

June 30, 2011

By FilCheese

I went to Brookdale to visit a friend who has been a resident for almost two years. My first impression of the facility was pretty good as I was impressed with the friendly staff and clean environment. It has been awhile since I had seen my friend. So we decided to chat in her room for a bit. A staff member came to check up on my friend quite frequently, which was refreshing. We had lunch together and participated in an exercise routine shortly after. The staff in charge of the exercise routine was very enthusiastic and motivating. I actually enjoyed that session very much. I would very much like to visit my friend as often as I can. I plan on visiting Brookdale very soon.

Photos of Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

• Low Salt
  • Renal

• Spanish

About Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

Brookdale Lake Shore Drive provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Lake Shore Drive