43 Assisted Living Facilities near Oak Park, IL
Also serving communities of Melrose Park.
There are 43 Assisted Living Facilities in the Oak Park area, with 3 in Oak Park and 40 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Oak Park is $4,085 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 298 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oak Park. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oak Park 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Elmhurst with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Oak Park find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oak Park, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Oak Park, IL
40 Assisted Living Facilities near Oak Park, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oak Park
In Oak Park, Illinois 12 percent of the 51,989 people living there are 65 and older with access to three assisted living facilities in Oak Park, along with an additional 54 in surrounding communities. In Illinois, assisted living facilities are both licensed and regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Assisted living facilities are required to have caregivers available 24 hours a day to help seniors with daily tasks, personal care, and social activities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oak Park
- Oak Park is a very easy city to navigate without a car due to its numerous public transportation options. Pace buses provide routes throughout the town and connect to other suburbs. Oak Park is also connected directly to Chicago via Chicago Transit Authority bus routes and two elevated rail lines. In addition, the Metra commuter rail line runs through Oak Park. Seniors qualify for reduced fares on all of these options.
- Oak Park's cost of living is 37.3% higher than the national average. Much of this is due to housing costs, but groceries, utilities and transportation are all a bit more expensive than average.
- Since it is part of the Chicago metro area, Oak Park is close to world-class museums, arts and entertainment. Many assisted living communities arrange outings to see performances by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or to visit the Art Institute of Chicago. The town itself also offers interesting things to do, such as the Oak Park Conservatory and the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio.
- The average January low in Oak Park is a chilly 18 degrees, and the area sees about 36 inches of snow every year. Summers are generally fairly mild with an average July high of 84 degrees, but high humidity can make it feel hotter than that at times.
- The crime rate in Oak Park is fairly high. Only 17% of cities in the US have more crime per capita. The majority is property crime, particularly burglaries and vehicle theft.
- The Oak Park area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rush Oak Park Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oak Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Oak Park start around $4,085 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oak Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oak Park
There are several financial assistance options for eligible seniors in the Oak Park area, including HealthChoice Illinois and the Supportive Living Program (SLP), as well as Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oak Park
Oak Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oak Park, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oak Park
Oak Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Oak Park, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oak Park
Review of Oak Park Arms
My friend was in Oak Park Arms for respite care. The care she got was very good. The place was clean, the care was very personal, and the staff was very helpful. It was overall a very pleasant expe... Read more
Review of Oak Park Arms
Oak Park Arms is basically a modified hotel. It seemed to be very contained and secure. Security looked very good as well. The staff did very well with the tour and was very pleasant. They escorted... Read more
Review of Brookdale Oak Park
I'm at Brookdale Oak Park. My room is nice and comfortable, but it doesn't have a roll-in shower. The food is average. They have two dining areas: a general dining area on the top floor with a nice... Read more