Chicago is an iconic city with a rich culture and heritage. The city has a population of 2.7 million, of which 12.4% are aged 65 or over. The cost of living in Chicago is higher than the national average, but seniors receive access to world-class health care at the University of Chicago Medicine hospital and also benefit from the city’s rich amenities, including many parks, golf courses and historic sights.

Some older adults have health conditions or limited mobility that means they require a higher level of care than can be offered at an assisted living facility or via home health care. Nursing homes fill that role, offering skilled nursing services around the clock to ensure seniors receive the support they need. Nursing home care in Chicago typically costs $8,076 per month, $320 above the national average. Assisted living and home health care fees are much lower, and those types of care may be more suitable for a senior who is relatively active and mobile.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Chicago, IL

The Admiral at the Lake

929 W Foster Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60640

My mom is at The Admiral at the Lake. It is very good. What I like about it is that it doesn’t have the ‘nursing home’ feel to it. It is more of a residential place even though my mom is in a skilled … (read more)

The Clare

55 East Pearson St., Chicago, IL, 60611

The Clare is wonderful, medically and therapeutically. I am on my third week here. They are all well-paired and very kind. My room is nice too. It is a private room, and I get a nice view of the build … (read more)

Montgomery Place

5550 South Shore Drive, Chicago, IL, 60637

Montgomery Place is beautiful. My parents had this spectacular apartment with a wonderful view of the lake that was very peaceful and lovely. They have an in-house, co-owned caregiver company, so when … (read more)

Buckingham Pavilion

2625 WEST TOUHY AVENUE, Chicago, IL, 60645

Thank you for everything you did for my father. I know its a difficult job everyone has. I know that dad really seemed to connect with a lot of the staff, and they connected back with him. The care an … (read more)

2012

St. Joseph Village of Chicago

4021 W. Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL, 60641

St. Joseph Village of Chicago is a fantastic place. It’s run by a ministry, it has the religious services that my mom needs, the website is fantastic, the dining area, and the activities for the resid … (read more)

Columbus Manor Resident Care Home

5107 21 West Jackson Blvd , Chicago, IL, 60644

Great facility with lots of care and concern for their residents. One of the best facilities on the west side of Chicago. I would recommend this home to any of my friends or family.

Mid America Care Center

4920 N. Kenmore Ave., Chicago, IL, 60640

We have no money for a 24-hour care, so we’re placing mom in a nursing home. I’ve toured a couple other places and they weren’t as nice as Medamerica Rehab. It is in an older building, but it’s been r … (read more)

Pershing Convalescent Home

3900 South Oak Park Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60402

The staff here were kind, attentive, and truly went out of their way to help me. Lots of nursing homes are mediocre looking and short staffed, but the difference here was that the employees really car … (read more)

Winston Manor Cnv & Nursing

2155 W Pierce Ave, Chicago, IL, 60622

I recently visited Winston Manor and was very pleased with the staff’s delivery of service to the residents. I felt a genuine sense of caring for the residents. The interaction between staff and res … (read more)

Norwood Crossing

6016 North Nina Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60631

Norwood Crossing is located in the Norwood Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, near Presence Resurrection Medical Center and the Roden Branch of the Chicago Public Library. Visitors compliment the … (read more)

Little Sisters of the Poor St. Mary’s Home

2325 N. Lakewood Ave., Chicago, IL, 60614

Little Sisters of the Poor was great. It was clean, food was always good, and the staff cares. They were perfect. It’s a place that you wouldn’t mind putting a loved one in.

2013

The Selfhelp Home

908 W. Argyle, Chicago, IL, 60640

My mother has severe Alzheimers and has been residing at the Self Help home for the past 4 years.She entered with only mild dementia and living independently until she became more and more impaired. … (read more)

Symphony of Lincoln Park

1366 W. Fullerton, Chicago, IL, 60614

My uncle was at the Imperial for two and half years, and I thought it was a nice facility. They had a lot of activities for the residents and really tried to engage those that were, most of the time, … (read more)

Fairmont Care Centre

5061 N Pulaski Road, Chicago, IL, 60630

My mom is currently in rehab at Fairmont Care, and it’s been a nightmare. She was there about six years ago for breaking the same ankle, but that was before COVID. I had daily access to her and was ab … (read more)

Grove Lincoln Park Living & Rehab

2732 N Hampden Court, Chicago, IL, 60614

Warren Barr Lincoln Park seems to be appropriate for my sister at this time. The rooms are small. It is supposed to be for two people. I would like to see it a little more spacious, but that’s the way … (read more)

St Pauls House & Hlth Cr Center

3800 NORTH CALIFORNIA AVENUE, Chicago, IL, 60618

My mother was in rehab at St. Paul’s. The staff and the care service were fair. They’re cordial. Some of them were attentive. They were very good about keeping the rooms clean. The rooms though were s … (read more)

Symphony 87th Street

2940 W. 87th Street, Chicago, IL, 60652

My uncle was here for almost 5 weeks and he hated it. On the surface everyone seems friendly and helpful but they aren’t. He was left on a bed pan for hours on more than 1 occasion. His dentures were … (read more)

Chalet Living And Rehab Center

7350 N Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL, 60626

The single person rooms are nice.the 3 people rooms which I am not yet in must be nerve wracking.no bedside speakers or headphones like in a hospital.3 t.v.’s all on different channels,each person try … (read more)

Symphony Bronzeville

3400 S. Indiana Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60616

My mother has been a resident of this facility since December of 2021. I just recently visited her at the facility. I was thoroughly impressed with the staff and how they interacted with the residents … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Chicago, IL

The average monthly cost of a semi-private room in a nursing home in Chicago is $8,076. Private rooms cost slightly more, averaging $8,532.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The cost of nursing home care varies across the state. Nursing home fees in Chicago are more than $1,800 per month higher than the state average. Fees to the north in Rockford are far lower, at just $5,825. Heading south, the cost of nursing home care in Kankakee and Decatur increases slightly but is still more affordable than Chicago at $6,540 and $6,338 respectively. The Carbondale area has some of the most affordable nursing home fees, with seniors typically paying just $5,232 a month for their care.

$8076

Decatur

$5232

Carbondale

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors who do not require the level of care offered in a nursing home have several other options available to them. Adult day care centers are the most affordable option, costing just $1,614 for daytime support in a group setting. Assisted living facilities offer room and board, group activities and assistance with the activities of daily living for $4,950 per month. Homemaker services and home health care are delivered in the senior’s own home and cost $4,957 and $5,053 respectively.

$8076

Nursing Home Care (Semiprivate Room)

$8532

Nursing Home Care (Private Room)

$4957

$4950

Assisted Living Facility

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Chicago, IL

Free Resources for Seniors in Chicago, IL

Below are Free and low-cost resources that are available to seniors living in Chicago to help them live at home for as long as possible and to transition to nursing home care when they are ready.

ResourceContact Service
Alzheimer’s Association Illinois State Chapter

(800) 272-3900The Alzheimer’s Association has branches across the United States. The Illinois state chapter covers the whole state and offers a variety of educational programs, support groups and advocacy services for those whose lives have been impacted by Alzheimer’s or dementia. It runs a Connections Care Consultation Program that helps seniors access the care and services they need and also provides support for caregivers and their loved ones.
Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly(312) 455-1000Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly is a nonprofit that supports seniors who are isolated or vulnerable. It runs a variety of social clubs, intergenerational programs and other supportive services to help seniors age in place and remain connected with their local communities.
Cook County Area Agency on Aging(312) 743-0300The Cook County Area Agency on Aging provides support services for older adults and advocates for the rights of seniors. It provides caregiving assistance, runs home-delivered meal programs and runs senior centers across the city. Support is available for seniors who are aging in place, and for those who currently reside in, or are thinking of moving into, long-term care.