The city of Philadelphia is known for its revolutionary history and is home to the Liberty Bell. It has a population of 1,584,064, and about 13.4% of residents are aged 65 and over. Seniors living in Philadelphia have access to excellent medical care at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center which is a university teaching hospital that is nationally ranked in 12 different specialties or procedures by USN and is ranked as the 15th best hospital in the United States.

Nursing home care provides a high level of medical care and assistance for seniors who are extremely frail or suffer from chronic illnesses. This type of care requires registered nurses to provide care to seniors which can make nursing home care very expensive. Seniors who don’t require this level of care may want to look at alternative options such as home health care or assisted living in Philadelphia. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Philadelphia is $11,285 for a semiprivate room, which is significantly more than the national average.

This guide looks at the costs of nursing home care and alternative options in Philadelphia and nearby cities.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Philadelphia, PA

2012

The Watermark At Logan Square

Two Franklin Town Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA, 19103

Rehab for hip fracture Poor attention Wait times when button pressed was very long for toilet paper and help getting off bedpan Promises to get things needed rarely followed through Overworked nur … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley

6300 Greene St, Philadelphia, PA, 19144

While I have often heard tell of scary or dangerous situations in nursing homes, I never felt anything but comfort in Stapeley Manor. While my grandparents were residents there every effort was made … (read more)

Paul’s Run

9896 Bustleton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

The staff were nice and very helpful. Additionally, the facility was very clean and seemed to be a nice place to live. The location was also very convenient. The residents seemed to enjoy living there … (read more)

Oakwood Residence

2109 Red Lion Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

My husband was a resident of Oakwood Residence. He had the worst experience there that anyone could ever have. Some of the staff members were good, but the majority of them were poor. The first room t … (read more)

Cliveden Convalescent Center

6400 GREENE STREET, Philadelphia, PA, 19119

My mom is in Cliveden Nursing. The place is nice and clean. I like it, and it’s nearby. Everything that happens to my mom, they call and let me know. They’re good. If you have any questions, they … (read more)

Philadelphia Nursing Home

2100 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA, 19130

My sister went to Philadelphia Nursing Home. It was well kept, and they seemed to be on top of everything there. I had to walk through the hallway to get to her room. I think she was up on the 6th flo … (read more)

Cathedral Village

600 East Cathedral Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19128

My information applies only to Carepointe which is the short-term skilled nursing center at Cathedral Village. I was very grateful when there was space for my relative to be admitted to Carepointe bec … (read more)

Delaware Valley Veterans Home

2701 Southampton Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19154

My relative was a WWII vet who lived at the facility for just under 5 years. While the facility isn’t fancy compared to many, it is adequate & clean. The staff however is amazing. They provided e … (read more)

Immaculate Mary Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare

2990 Holme, Philadelphia, PA, 19136

My stay at Immaculate Mary Center was excellent, and the staff was great, and very caring.

The Philadelphia Protestant Home

700 E GILHAM ST, Philadelphia, PA, 19111

Both my father and mother stayed at the Philadelphia Protestant Home at two different time periods in their life. I found that staff to be indifferent and often unavailable. Nurse stations were often … (read more)

Simpson House

2101 Belmont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19131

My husband is in the Simpson House. I’m very unhappy with where he is now. I don’t know what their vacancy rate is, but they just seem intent on keeping him. He’s been there for over a month now, and … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park

8401 Roosevelt Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA, 19152

My mother is having physical therapy at Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park. They have long-term care, personal care, and physical therapy unit. They have people who just retired, and they have apar … (read more)

Kearsley Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

2100 N 49th St, Philadelphia, PA, 19131

So far, everybody in Kearsley Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center was very nice and helpful. They showed us everything. They serve food according to my dad’s diet when he’s going to be there. The pla … (read more)

The Pines at Philadelphia Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

8410 Roosevelt Blvd., Philadelphia, PA, 19152

The Pines at Philadelphia My mother arrived at The Pines at 96 years old due to a fractured femur from a fall. When I arrived, the first person I encountered at the desk was Rose. She is so … (read more)

Inglis Day Program

2600 Belmont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19131

My wife is in Inglis House, and it’s excellent. Overall, it’s pretty good, she’s been there a lot of years, and knows a lot of the people, and a lot of the residents are like extended family for us. I … (read more)

Fairview Care Center Bethlehem Pike

184 Bethlehem Pike, Philadelphia, PA, 19118

I am a family member of a resident at Fairview who has been residing at this facility for almost two years. When she was first admitted I was quite pleased with the facility and the care she was given … (read more)

St John Neumann Ctr For Rehab & Healthcare

10400 Roosevelt Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19116

The staff rarely answers the phone and, when they do, they often hang up or lie to you. And the phone message that you receive while you are on hold is a blatant lie. SJN does not retain nurses for de … (read more)

Meadowview Rehabilitation And Nursing Center

9209 Ridge Pike, Philadelphia, PA, 19128

Meadowview Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is excellent. I like it. They are friendly. They call us and give us information about what’s going on with my brother, and they’re just nice people. He sa … (read more)

Caring Heart Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

6445 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19119

My mother is currently here for rehabilitation therapy and she is doing really well. It is difficult for me to give a full report about everything because of the COVID19 Pandemic. Caring Heart is ta … (read more)

Rivers Edge Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

9501 State Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19114

Its a little difficult to give a fair rating due to covid. What I can say is that since the beginning of my mother’s stay there, the staff have been very helpful and by facetiming until we can start … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Philadelphia is $11,285 for a semiprivate room and $12,498 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors may be interested in the cost of nursing home care in nearby cities. Using the monthly average of a semiprivate room as a comparison point, Philadelphia is about $3,500 more expensive than the national average of $7,756 and about $1,000 more each month than the state average of $10,038.

The average monthly cost of care is higher in Reading ($11,724) but cheaper in the other nearby cities of York ($10,291), Gettysburg ($10,889) and Pittsburgh ($9,125).

$11285

Gettysburg

$9125

Pittsburgh

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors who have not made a final decision on nursing home care may be interested in the cost of alternative care options in Philadelphia. The cheapest option is adult day care at an average monthly cost of $1,842. Assisted living is a popular long-term care option with an average monthly cost of $5,550. Both home care and home health care cost a monthly average of $4,767. At the other end of the cost scale, a semiprivate room in nursing home care is $11,285 per month on average and a private room costs $12,498 per month.

$1842

$12498

Nursing Home Private

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Free Resources for Seniors in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The resources listed in the table below may be of interest to seniors and their loved ones if they are looking for options to assist them in staying safely in their own homes instead of going to nursing home care. One resource looks at financial options for those who have already decided on nursing home care.

ResourceContactServices
Benefits and Insurance(215) 545- 5728The nonprofit organization Philadelphia Corporation for Aging provides a counseling service to help seniors understand and apply for a range of financial benefits. This federally funded program can assist seniors who are looking to move into a nursing care home and want to know what financial assistance they are eligible for through the Medicare program. The counselors can also assist seniors wanting to apply for food stamps and emergency weatherization assistance.
Meal Delivery(215) 765- 9040The program delivers nutritious meals to homebound seniors aged 65 and over who are no longer able to prepare a meal for themselves. The meals are designed to provide a third of the daily nutritional requirements for seniors. Seven frozen meals are delivered on a weekly basis and a hot meal is delivered each day from Monday to Friday with sandwich packs for the weekend. The drivers are trained to provide regular and caring contact to the seniors. All meals are free of charge, but donations are appreciated.
SEPTA TransportationNot ListedThe SEPTA bus, subway and rail system options are all free for seniors aged 65 and older. Seniors require a key card to access the free transport system, and proof of ID is required. Those requiring door-to-door transport can use the SEPTA rideshare program and only pay 15% of the ride fee.