Known as the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia is famous for its history and its vibrant arts and culture scene, which includes sports, museums and festivals. The city is home to more than 1.6 million people, including 224,000 residents (14%) aged 65 and older. That’s slightly lower than the national average population of seniors. Older adults living in this age-friendly city benefit from a wide range of senior-focused programs offered by government and nonprofit organizations. Philadelphia also is home to some of the nation’s best hospitals.

The city has a wide array of assisted living facilities to choose from. These facilities offer various amenities and activities designed to keep residents entertained and comfortable. Seniors in assisted living communities can also get help with daily activities like chores and personal care. Generally, staff in these types of communities are available around the clock to assist residents. In Philadelphia, assisted living costs an average of $5,685 per month.

This guide is designed to help seniors and their families decide whether assisted living in Philadelphia is the right choice for them. It covers pros and cons of the city as well as its resources for seniors and the cost of long-term care.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Philadelphia, PA

2014, 2015

Atria Center City

150 North 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103

We were working with Atria Center City and my aunt got evaluated and everything. They had gone out to see her, and she was OK/approved to go to Atria, but at the last minute we couldn’t convince her t … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley

6300 Greene St, Philadelphia, PA, 19144

My daughter and I went to Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapely. We thought it was satisfactory. I thought Wesley Enhanced was beautiful. The room they showed me was wonderful. It was really big. It had a … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Burholme

7040 Oxford Ave, Philadelphia, PA, 19111

Wesley Enhanced Living Burholme was pretty good, it seemed like a decent assisted living community. It was clean and open. The staff that I met seemed like they cared for the residents and for the peo … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park

8401 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19152

My dad moved into Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack. It was recommended by a friend through my daughter. He’s actually in rehab right now, and he’ll be going to long-term care. The staff is very inform … (read more)

Holy Redeemer Lafayette

8580 Verree Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19111

What we liked about Holy Redeemer Lafayette was that it was very homey. A lot of places that we looked at were like hotels and we just felt like this was more to our liking. They have both independent … (read more)

2015

Deer Meadows Retirement Community

8301 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19152

We placed my parents at Deer Meadows and are very pleased with it. It seems like a good place. The grounds are OK but not picturesque because it is right on the Boulevard; however, the people who live … (read more)

2012

The Watermark At Logan Square

Two Franklin Town Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA, 19103

My Mother entered Watermark Rehabilitation Center after having a serious surgery. They ignore the patients for lengthy times, they talk to the patients disrespectfully, they don’t have her proper medi … (read more)

2015, 2016

The Terrace at Chestnut Hill

495 East Abington Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19118

Research and visit facilities because the Terrace at Chestnut Hill had us fooled. There are very few residents and not much liveliness and it’s a little depressing. Lots of management turnover which i … (read more)

Paul’s Run

9896 Bustleton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

A new resident of Paul’s Run Personal Care, I’m pleased with my roomy 1-bedroom apartment, the ample food served at 3 daily meals, pleasant interaction with staff at meals and during the day, and the … (read more)

Oakwood Residence

2109 Red Lion Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

Oakwood Residence was the cheapest one I found compared to other places. But they couldn’t take me because of my money, and because I weigh 450 pounds. They said that if I fell, they wouldn’t be able … (read more)

The Philadelphia Protestant Home

6401 Martins Mill Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19111

My mother is very happy at the Philadelphia, and I’m very pleased with the facility. They’ve taken very good care of her, and I think she’s the healthiest she’s ever been there.

Glenside Residence

2820 NORTH BROAD STREET, Philadelphia, PA, 19132

I was pleasantly surprised by Glenside. I found the facility very clean and the staff was friendly. I was pleased with the environment and the activities that were available from bingo to craft time … (read more)

Delaware Valley Veterans Home

2701 SOUTHAMPTON ROAD, Philadelphia, PA, 19154

My name is Michael Joel Held. Recently, I have become a resident of the Delaware Valley Veterans Home. I wish to express my delight having come from another VA facility in Hollidaysburg Veterans Home, … (read more)

Fairview Care Center Bethlehem Pike

184 Bethlehem Pike, Philadelphia, PA, 19118

Simpson House

2101 Belmont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19131

I went to Simpson House and I inquired about long-term residence for my mom and independent living for myself. The apartments were nice. The halls were quite small, so I’m not sure how you get your fu … (read more)

Hayes Manor Retirement Residence

2210 Belmont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19131

I found Hayes Manor Retirement Residence for my father. The people are pretty nice. The facility is clean. They’re very communicative with me, and they provide my dad with his needs. He likes it there … (read more)

Bethesda Court

6200 ARDLEIGH STREET, Philadelphia, PA, 19138

Grateful for the caring, kind souls that work diligently to care for my aunt even through the hardest times.

Penn Home

1401 E Susquehanna Ave, Philadelphia, PA, 19125

Penn Home was a large and older building. They had been there for a hundred and eight years. They used to be the Penn Foundation for widows. The rooms were private and they were very nice. They served … (read more)

Caring Heart Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

6445 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19119

I had to put a star to rate it but I would give negative stars.They said this was a rehab for people with spinal cord injuries and they lied! Looks nice but don’t let that deceive you.He is coming o … (read more)

Philip Murray House

6300 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19141

It’s a nice community for seniors. My grandmother has a nurse come about 3-4 times a week to help her with cleaning and medical reasons (checks blood pressure, answers any questions my grandmother may … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Philadelphia

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in Pennsylvania. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What To Consider About Assisted Living in Philadelphia

In Philadelphia, assisted living facilities are called personal care homes and are governed by the state Department of Human Services. This organization works to ensure the residents of these homes are treated with respect and receive appropriate care.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Philadelphia

• Philadelphia is an age-friendly city, meaning it has a plan in place to create housing, transportation and outdoor spaces geared especially to older adults. As part of the AARP‘s network of age-friendly communities, Philadelphia is also committed to reducing crime and maintaining safer streets.
  • The cost of living index for Philadelphia is 1.2 points over the national median of 100. However, housing costs are low at 66.3, compared to the national 100.
  • Philadelphia has relatively low air quality, a factor to consider for seniors with respiratory issues. Compared to the national average of 58, Philly scores 39 points on the air quality index.
  • The Philadelphia Corporation for Aging transportation program offers a senior fare card for free travel on its routes and a door-to-door initiative that makes it easier for residents over 65 to get to senior centers, run errands and keep medical appointments.
  • Philadelphia has 243 physicians per 100,000 people, which is higher than the national average of 210 physicians per 100,000 people, making health care easy to access. The city is also home to the highest-rated hospital in the state, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
  • Philadelphia has high crime rates compared to many other American cities. Its violent crime rate is 50.8 compared to the national average of 22.7, and its property crime rate is 46.6 compared to the U.S. score of 35.4. However, seniors in assisted living communities can count on strong security measures to keep them safe.

Paying for Assisted Living in Philadelphia

In Philadelphia, seniors pay an average of $5,685 per month for assisted living. This is more than the state average of $4,100 per month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey. Assisted living in Philadelphia is also costlier than the national median of $4,500.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Compared to the rest of the state, Philadelphia has some of the highest assisted living prices. Seniors living in nearby Reading pay $5,720 per month. Costs are much lower in Scranton, where assisted living costs an estimated $2,875. Prices in Gettysburg are closer to the state average at $4,515. Seniors in Chambersburg pay $4,823 per month for assisted living.

$5685

Chambersburg

$5720

Reading

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors may also find it helpful to consider other types of care. In Philadelphia, in-home care and home health care are more affordable than assisted living, at average costs of $5,329 and $5,339, respectively. Adult day health care is also cheaper at $1,777. Nursing home care is much costlier at $11,437 for a semiprivate room.

$5329

Adult Day Health Care

$5685

Assisted Living Facility

$11437

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Philadelphia

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services has an aging waiver program that may help offset the costs of assisted living in Philadelphia, along with other programs that may benefit seniors. Another program that may be of assistance is the Services My Way program.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Pennsylvania

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Philadelphia

Philadelphia has a wide range of charities and government agencies that provide helpful programs to older adults. Seniors can contact the following organizations for information or assistance with a variety of issues.

Resource

Contact

Service

This Area Agency on Aging offers senior-focused programs such as health education, personal wellness initiatives and insurance benefits counseling. This organization also runs a transportation program and has an emergency financial assistance program for seniors in need.

Seniors and low-income adults can request free legal assistance here. Experts at PLA can help seniors obtain public benefits, create wills and deal with debt collection issues. This nonprofit also offers free educational clinics where people can learn about legal and financial matters.

This veteran center has advisers who can help veterans determine their eligibility and apply for federal and state benefits programs. It hosts a variety of events throughout the year when veterans can socialize and learn new skills. Case management, financial planning and housing placement services are also available here.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Philadelphia

Philadelphia Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pennsylvania