Bucks County, about 40 miles north of Philadelphia, is a popular retirement location for seniors looking for a peaceful, friendly community known for its architecture and gorgeous outdoor spaces. Residents can explore the grounds of the imposing Fonthill Castle and revisit the past at New Hope Railroad. Seniors can immerse themselves in the local cultural scene at the Mercer Museum and Michener Art Museum, and history buffs can visit Pennsbury Manor. Additionally, retirees can fish or take a walk through Nockamixon State Park, appreciate the scenery at Ringing Rocks Park and take in the natural beauty at Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve.

There are approximately 19 assisted living facilities in Doylestown, the seat of Bucks County, which have an average cost of $3,550 per month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2020. This rate is $750 lower than the national average, which makes the area an appealing option for retirees on a budget when paired with its welcoming environment and high quality of life.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Bucks County, PA

Brookdale Northampton

65 Newtown-Richboro Road, Richboro, PA, 18954

Brookdale Northampton has a lot of employees. They are very caring people and there’s tons of activity for the residents to do (a whole calendar full every month). My mom intermingles with the other p … (read more)

The Birches at Newtown

70 Durham Rd, Newtown, PA, 18940

My mother is doing good at The Birches at Newtown. We like it very much. They all take it very personally. They treat my mom like their grandmother. The staff members are good. They take care of every … (read more)

2014, 2015

Sunrise of Lower Makefield

631 Stony Hill Rd, Yardley, PA, 19067

Sunrise of Lower Makefield is the only place that accepted my aunt with the care that she needs. My aunt has moved in a month ago. They’re willing to work with her. I haven’t had any complaints. My au … (read more)

2014

Hidden Meadows on the Ridge & The Laurels

340 Farmers Lane, Sellersville, PA, 18960

My siblings and I really liked Hidden Meadows on the Ridge & The Laurels.Eric who is nice and accomodating showed us the assisted living.We tried their food and it was delicious. We talked to the … (read more)

Woodbourne Place

2619 Trenton Road, Levittown, PA, 19056

I had many visits/phone calls with Iris and Tom trying to get my Dad a room at Woodbourne Place. Unfortunately, my Dad passed before we were actually able to move him in. We did tour Woodbourne and … (read more)

Holland Village

280 Middle Holland Road, Holland, PA, 18966

I went to Holland Village. It was very sterile and hospital-like. They were in the process of doing renovations, and they were taking up the carpets and using a tile floor instead. It gave me a very h … (read more)

Symphony Manor of Feasterville

1730 Buck Rd., Feasterville Trevose, PA, 19053

It is beautiful and very clean. The grounds are beautiful; it’s very green. The staff was very nice and the menu looked diverse. They were doing some kind of an exercise type of activity with a large … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Doylestown

200 Veterans Lane, Doylestown, PA, 18901

Wesley Enhanced Living Doylestown was a great place. It seemed like they had everything that my parents needed. We visited independent living and assisted living. The staff was very nice, very helpful … (read more)

The Solana Doylestown

1621 Easton Road, Warrington, PA, 18976

The Solana Doylestown was a nice place. We just looked at the assisted living there. We only had interaction with a couple of staff members there, but it was super nice. We visited there twice. My hus … (read more)

Heartis of Yardley

255 Oxford Valley Road, Yardley, PA, 19067

The Assisted Living facility Heartis in Yardley is a lovely community. The staff are so friendly and the facility itself is beautiful. As I consider options for my future, I think that Heartis in Yard … (read more)

Chandler Hall

99 Barclay Street, Newtown, PA, 18940

After what I saw & my family experienced, I would not in good conscious recommend Chandler Hall’s rehab wing/nursing home, or assisted living wing to anyone (I can’t speak to their independent liv … (read more)

Legacy Gardens of Bristol

2022 Bath Road, Bristol, PA, 19007

My mother is living in the Legacy Gardens of Bristol. She seemed to like it. They have doctors on staff, so she doesn’t have to leave the facility to go see a doctor. They need to upgrade their activi … (read more)

Pickering Manor

226 North Lincoln Avenue, Newtown, PA, 18940

Pickering Manor looked beautiful, but I think I only spent five minutes the whole time there. They didn’t even really want to show me around. I was only able to see the rooms because I forced them to … (read more)

Allegria at the Oaks

6400 Hulmeville Road, Bensalem, PA, 19020

Everything with Allegria at the Oaks has been good. I worked with Leah, she’s one of the directors there. Any time I have questions about anything, she calls me back and they give me all the answers. … (read more)

Heartis Bucks County

945 York Road, Warminster, PA, 18974

We chose Heartis Bucks County, and my sister is moving there. It was brand new and the people were very friendly, and they answered all my questions. The rooms are adequate. The dining area was beauti … (read more)

Juniper Village at Bucks County

3200 Bensalem Blvd, Bensalem, PA, 19020

Juniper Village at Bucks County was nice, and the inside looked lovely. Each apartment had a screened patio with a lovely view. There were trees everywhere. I have a small dog, so they said I could ha … (read more)

2016

Ann’s Choice

30000 Ann’s Choice Way, Warminster, PA, 18974

My mother lived here for almost 11 yrs. everything was good until her money started to run out. My sister and I talked to the right people and they accused us of taking money. They said the numbers di … (read more)

Attleboro Village

310 East Winchester Avenue, Langhorne, PA, 19047

We came in for a scheduled tour with the Admissions person. The receptionist was very nice and offered us something to drink while we waited. The Admissions person, came out and immediately said tha … (read more)

Pine Run Lakeview

2425 Lower State Rd, Doylestown, PA, 18901

My mom has moved into Pine Run Lakeview. We pretty much got her in there, and she loves the food. The staff is fantastic. They have excellent food. The room she has is perfect for what she needs. She’ … (read more)

Neshaminy Manor

1660 Eon Rd, Warrington, PA, 18976

Paying for Assisted Living in Bucks County

Seniors living in Bucks County likely share Allentown’s $3,550 cost for assisted living, which is the closest city listed in Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2020. This is $750 less than the United States as a whole, and about $405 below the Pennsylvania average of $3,955. This means the cost in Bucks County is about 11% and 21% more affordable than the statewide and national averages, respectively.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living costs in other cities in Pennsylvania vary significantly. In the western part of the state in Pittsburgh, seniors can expect to pay $3,500 per month, the same as their peers in Bucks County. Rates in Scranton, in northern Pennsylvania, average $2,450 per month or $1,100 less. In East Stroudsburg, which is about 55 miles to the north, the cost is $4,875 or $1,325 more. Costs increase even more toward the center of the state; those in State College pay a monthly rate of $5,340, which is $1,790 more. To the south, costs in Chambersburg and Harrisburg average $5,215 and $4,857 per month, or $1,665 and $1,307 higher, respectively. Philadelphia, in southeastern Pennsylvania, has the highest costs in the state. Seniors in this city can expect to pay $5,550 per month, which is $2,000 more than the rate in Bucks County.

$3550

State College

$5550

Philadelphia

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bucks County

Bucks County seniors who meet certain eligibility requirements for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging waiver may qualify for financial assistance in order to pay for care within one of the city’s assisted living facilities. In addition, if you receive SSI and need to live in an assisted living facility, the state can pay a supplement to the facility if you qualify.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bucks County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Bucks County

ResourceContact Service
Philadelphia Veterans Regional Office(215) 381-3042Staff at the Philadelphia Veterans Regional Office can assist older adults who served in the military with obtaining federal benefits they’ve earned through their service. Those who’ve sustained a service-related injury may be eligible for disability compensation. Seniors may also qualify for a monthly pension, and veterans who are unable to live independently may be eligible for Aid and Attendance benefits.
Bucks County Transport’s Persons with Disabilities Program(215) 794-5554Bucks County Transport’s Persons with Disabilities Program offers affordable alternatives for senior citizens and individuals with disabilities who are unable to use regular, fixed-route bus service. Seniors are required to complete the application process before requesting their first ride, and they must be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. All vehicles are able to accommodate mobility devices, and the service is available Monday through Friday.
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program(717) 783-8975Pennsylvania’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman works to preserve the rights of seniors living in assisted living facilities throughout the state. The ombudsman is responsible for investigating and resolving issues related to proper transfer and discharge, mistreatment, quality of care services and elder abuse. Volunteers can also provide counseling at no charge to help seniors find a facility that meets their specific needs.
Bucks County Area Agency on Aging(267) 880-5700Bucks County’s Area Agency on Aging helps improve the lives of seniors aged 60 and over with a variety of free or subsidized services. The agency’s staff offers advice to create a personalized care plan for each resident through the Long-term Care Management Program. The AAA also coordinates the PrimeTime health promotion program, and provides opportunities for seniors to stay engaged in the community through the Positively Aging volunteer program.
Bucks County Senior Centers(267) 880-5700The local AAA manages 13 senior centers throughout Bucks County. At the centers, seniors have access to a wide range of activities that help prevent social isolation, including bingo and other board games, free classes, tai chi, dancing and knitting. Technology coaching is available to those who want to learn how to use computers, and there are also free tax preparation workshops. Seniors can also participate in regular group trips, and enjoy a nutritious, low-cost lunch with their peers.
APPRISE Medicare Counseling Program(800) 783-7067This program provides one-on-one counseling for seniors to help them learn about the available health insurance options that can meet their needs, including Medicaid and long-term care insurance, which may help pay for assisted living. Volunteers offer unbiased, impartial information about Medicare Parts A and B, Medicare Advantage, Medigap and Part D prescription drug plans, as well as programs that can reduce their premiums and out-of-pocket costs.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bucks County

Bucks County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bucks County