27 Independent Living Communities near San Antonio, TX

2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Newforest Estates

5034 New Forest Street, San Antonio, TX, 78229

I’m a trustee of someone who is staying at Newforest Estates. I chose it because of the price, and I liked everybody there when I did a virtual tour and when I did a walk-through tour. All the residen … (read more)

Madison Estates

8645 Fredericksburg Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78240

My mom will be moving into Madison Estates. It was fine. I have not really seen the services, but it seemed OK and nice. The staff, Josie, was extremely nice, and the girl in the front — I believe he … (read more)

2017, 2021

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

4243 Thousand Oaks, San Antonio, TX, 78217

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks was very nice and very clean. The staff seemed like they were good with the clients. They were pretty nice. The apartments were beautiful. They have everything but no po … (read more)

The Waterford on Huebner

8551 Huebner, San Antonio, TX, 78240

The Waterford on Huebner was really nice. I really liked it because a lot of the seniors were talking to each other. They weren’t just in their rooms or in their apartments. They were in the front of … (read more)

2015, 2018, 2019, 2020

The Inn at Los Patios

8700 Post Oak Lane, San Antonio, TX, 78217

The Inn at Los Patios is located close to Interstate 410, MacArthur Park and Northeast Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas. The facility gets compliments from residents for offering a variety of re … (read more)

2012

Independence Hill Retirement Resort Community

20450 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78258

My mother has been pretty happy at Independence Hill. She’s been living there for almost 10 years now. There is only one setback that is causing her to want to move, that is she lives on the 1st floor … (read more)

2017, 2020, 2021

Villa De San Antonio

8103 N Hollow Dr, San Antonio, TX, 78240

I had been to Villa De San Antonio before. I had a friend there, and I really liked her apartment when I was there. She even had enough room for a dining room. She got her dining room set there. It wa … (read more)

2015, 2016

Franklin Park TPC Parkway

21802 Encino Commons, San Antonio, TX, 78259

We’ll be moving into Franklin Park TPC Parkway. It’s a very nice and certainly a new area of San Antonio. It’s just right at the edge of the hill country. If people want to get out, and if they’re abl … (read more)

Emerald Oaks

20302 Bulverde Road, San Antonio, TX, 78259

I was looking for cottages, and Emerald Oaks didn’t have them; they’re all apartments. The staff member who showed me around was very nice and lives in the facility. I saw a few residents sitting arou … (read more)

Franklin Park Sonterra

18323 Sonterra Place, San Antonio, TX, 78258

Yesterday I went to Franklin Park Sonterra. The young lady who showed me around was very informative, very pleasant, and very kind. The apartments were good, and I might be interested in one of them. … (read more)

2018

Landon Ridge at Alamo Ranch

11300 Wild Pine, San Antonio, TX, 78250

We toured Landon Ridge at Alamo Ranch. The community was luxurious for a reasonable price. There were many, many things to do there, and the facilities were beautiful. The rooms were very spacious and … (read more)

Adante Indpendent Living

2702 Cembalo Blvd, San Antonio, TX, 78231

We explored several options in San Antonio & Adante was the best of more than six places we toured. Our Mom now 94, moved into Adante Independent Living 3 years ago and she couldn’t be happier. … (read more)

2021

Blue Skies of Texas East

4917 Ravenswood Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78227

We are new residents at High Rise of Blue Skies East and are very happy to be here. The staff are wonderful. We have met some who have been working here for 20 to 30 years! If you are looking for … (read more)

Franklin Park Alamo Heights

230 W Sunset Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78209

I’m moving into Franklin Park Alamo Heights. They have fitness classes, all kinds of different kinds of classes, dining facilities, car service and they offer things that the others offer. The staff i … (read more)

The Lodge at Leon Springs

24137 Boerne Stage Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78255

We Just moved my uncle to The Lodge. The setting is retreat like with duplex cottages built around the pond sheltered by huge oaks. Peaceful and quiet, yet two blocks from HEB. He has a screen in por … (read more)

Overture Stone Oak 55+ Apartment Homes

18610 Tuscany Stone, San Antonio, TX, 78258

Overture Stone Oak Apartment Homes was a place for 55 year olds and over. It was topnotch all the way through and the people are very nice. They had a nice pool, a great outside area, different things … (read more)

Affinity at Monterrey Village

9003 Vista West Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78245

I visited Affinity at Monterrey Village. I really enjoyed it; it was a very good visit. They sent a lyft driver out to pick me up, they were very accommodating. They had all different sized facilities … (read more)

Sage Stone Oak

21914 Hardy Oak Blvd, San Antonio, TX, 78258

2013

The Forum at Lincoln Heights

311 West Nottingham Place, San Antonio, TX, 78209

Mom was at The Forum at Lincoln Heights and it was a wonderful place. The staff was awesome. They were very caring and wonderful people. The food was great and the dining area was really nice. They ha … (read more)

Discovery Village at Dominion

6870 Heuermann Road, San Antonio, TX, 78256

My parents have moved into Watercrest at Dominion. It is new. The finishes and the layout are contemporary. The place itself has the feel of an upscale hotel; it has a nice aroma. They have very wide … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in San Antonio, TX

San Antonio is located in the south-central region of Texas. It’s been listed among the best places in the nation to retire for its cost of living, climate and its seemingly endless amenities, including the 35-acre San Antonio ZooSeaWorld San Antonio and the San Antonio Symphony, all of which offer discounts to seniors. The city is also known for its inventive Tex-Mex restaurantsshopping centers and outdoor attractions.

San Antonio is an affordable city to reside in, thanks to a cost of living slightly lower than the state and national averages, which may make it a good option for retirees with more restrictive budgets. The city also has a fairly comfortable climate year-round, with highs ranging between 63 and 96 degrees and 220 sunny days annually. Active seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may find San Antonio’s climate to be well-suited to their lifestyle.

Paying for Independent Living in San Antonio, TX

Independent living is a little cheaper in San Antonio than in the nation as a whole, with monthly costs coming in at an average of $2,500. This is slightly more affordable than the national average of $2,550 per month, which may be good for cost-savvy retirees.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in San Antonio, TX

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in San Antonio, use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
College Credit Courses

(210) 485-0000Seniors age 65 and over are eligible to take up to six credit hours per semester of college courses at Alamo Colleges. The regular tuition rate for these courses is waived under this program, leaving participants with only the associated fees. Of the five Alamo Colleges that offer this program, three are in San Antonio, including Northwest Vista College, Palo Alto College and St. Philip’s College.
San Antonio Oasis

(210) 236-5954San Antonio Oasis is a non-profit organization that provides challenging courses in disciplines like humanities, health, technology and the arts, as well as an array of volunteer opportunities to San Antonio residents age 50 and over. Membership is free, based on proof of age, and members have access to four centers located throughout the region. These centers are open on weekdays, and hours vary by day and location.
Senior Centers(210) 207-8198San Antonio is home to 10 city-operated senior centers for residents age 60 and over. These centers provide a wide variety of programs and activities, including exercise classes, arts and crafts workshops, trips and basic health screenings. Senior centers also provide daily meals, giving members the opportunity to visit with friends. Free transportation is available to the centers from homes within a five-mile radius.
Reduced Fare Transportation Services(210) 362-2020VIA Metropolitan Transit, which provides public transportation services in the San Antonio region, has a senior discount program for area residents age 62 and over. Participants pay a very low fee on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and ride on the weekends for free. To apply for a Reduced Fare ID, older adults can go to their nearest VIA Information Center