31 Independent Living Communities near San Antonio, TX

2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

NewForest Estates

5034 New Forest Street, San Antonio, TX, 78229

NewForest Estates was an older independent living. They’ve been there for quite a while, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s comfy. The rooms are not too big, but they will do for anyone … (read more)

Holiday Madison Estates

8645 Fredericksburg Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78240

Madison Estates was nice. Everybody was top-notch. They’re very good at sharing information. It was made very clear what the amenities would be, the costs, and everything. I didn’t feel like I was bei … (read more)

The Waterford on Huebner

8551 Huebner, San Antonio, TX, 78240

The Waterford on Huebner is an older community, but it’s well kept. They have a lot of greenery that you can enjoy walking around. It’s a small community (which is what I liked), and they have a fanta … (read more)

2017, 2021, 2022

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

4243 Thousand Oaks, San Antonio, TX, 78217

I often volunteer at this location helping the Activities Director with activities for the residents. Cynthia works endlessly to engage the residents with everyday activities, but not just activities- … (read more)

2012

Independence Hill Retirement Resort Community

20450 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78258

I went to Independence Hill Retirement Resort Community. The man said they would be serving lunch, but they didn’t. They serve two meals a day, which is morning and night. They had everything there th … (read more)

2017, 2020, 2021

Villa De San Antonio

8103 North Hollow, San Antonio, TX, 78240

I am in the process of moving my Mom out of this facility due to an on going issue with a secondary drain line from the facilities A/C unit that keeps pouring into my Mom’s apartment (4 times in less … (read more)

Franklin Park Sonterra

18323 Sonterra Place, San Antonio, TX, 78258

We will be moving into Franklin Park Sonterra. We took a tour of the place, and I was greatly impressed. The amenities were excellent. They provide an indoor swimming pool and meals. They have an exce … (read more)

2015, 2016

Franklin Park TPC Parkway

21802 Encino Commons, San Antonio, TX, 78259

We’ll be moving into Franklin Park TPC Parkway. It’s a very nice and certainly a new area of San Antonio. It’s just right at the edge of the hill country. If people want to get out, and if they’re abl … (read more)

2018

Landon Ridge at Alamo Ranch

11300 Wild Pine, San Antonio, TX, 78250

My friend has moved into Landon Ridge Alamo Ranch. I like the price point, and I like the size of the apartment. It is bigger than the apartment he had. As for activities, he has a lot to choose from … (read more)

2015, 2018, 2020

The Inn at Los Patios

8700 Post Oak Lane, San Antonio, TX, 78217

We fell in love with the first apartment that they showed us in The Inn at Los Patios, and it was in-house, but it faced a beautiful garden lot, and we could see the pool from there. It had a lot of H … (read more)

Emerald Oaks

20302 Bulverde Road, San Antonio, TX, 78259

I would rate 5 stars for everything for Emerald Oaks because they’re seriously top-notch. They have all the same amenities, but they had a yard that people could fence off a little portion for their d … (read more)

Adante Indpendent Living

2702 Cembalo Blvd, San Antonio, TX, 78231

Adante Independent Living was a very nice and very friendly community. Everybody knew everybody’s names. The rooms were also very nice. They didn’t have the dining area that we saw from the other faci … (read more)

2021

Blue Skies of Texas East

4917 Ravenswood Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78227

We are new residents at High Rise of Blue Skies East and are very happy to be here. The staff are wonderful. We have met some who have been working here for 20 to 30 years! If you are looking for … (read more)

2022

Franklin Park Alamo Heights

230 W Sunset Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78209

We liked Franklin Park Alamo Heights very much. The apartments were very nice and large, and we really liked that they had a dining area. Their kitchens, bathrooms, and walk-in closets were are all ve … (read more)

Patriot Heights

5000 Fawn Meadow, San Antonio, TX, 78240

We’ve chosen Patriot Heights. The first thing that impressed us was the landscaping and the location because even though it’s adjacent to the medical center on the west side of San Antonio, it’s a lit … (read more)

Morningside at the Meadows

602 Babcock Rd., San Antonio, TX, 78201

We went to Morningside at the Meadows. They were very good and very well taken care of, and the people we talked to from outside wandering around seemed to be friendly. The people we met there, the ga … (read more)

The Lodge at Leon Springs

24137 Boerne Stage Rd, San Antonio, TX, 78255

The Lodge at Leon Springs has a very nice and relaxed atmosphere. They have a lot of animals there. It’s very serene and calm, but there’s not enough activity for me. It’s a wonderful place for someon … (read more)

The Village at Incarnate Word

4707 Broadway St., San Antonio, TX, 78209

The Village at Incarnate Word has all three levels. It has independent living, assisted living as well as convalescent. I only looked at one of the buildings and I like the facilities. They have quite … (read more)

Timberhill Villa Retirement Community

5050 Timberhill, San Antonio, TX, 78238

Timberhill Villa was a very tall building. It’s four stories, which I had my qualms with. The outside was kind of dark. Although it did have a lot of land, and I like that part. It looked like they ha … (read more)

Villa Cristina Assisted Living

9607 Dove Shadow, San Antonio, TX, 78230

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in San Antonio, TX

San Antonio is located in the south-central region of Texas. It’s been listed among the best places in the nation to retire for its cost of living, climate and its seemingly endless amenities, including the 35-acre San Antonio ZooSeaWorld San Antonio and the San Antonio Symphony, all of which offer discounts to seniors. The city is also known for its inventive Tex-Mex restaurantsshopping centers and outdoor attractions.

San Antonio is an affordable city to reside in, thanks to a cost of living slightly lower than the state and national averages, which may make it a good option for retirees with more restrictive budgets. The city also has a fairly comfortable climate year-round, with highs ranging between 63 and 96 degrees and 220 sunny days annually. Active seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may find San Antonio’s climate to be well-suited to their lifestyle.

Paying for Independent Living in San Antonio, TX

Independent living is a little cheaper in San Antonio than in the nation as a whole, with monthly costs coming in at an average of $2,500. This is slightly more affordable than the national average of $2,550 per month, which may be good for cost-savvy retirees.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in San Antonio, TX

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in San Antonio, use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
College Credit Courses

(210) 485-0000Seniors age 65 and over are eligible to take up to six credit hours per semester of college courses at Alamo Colleges. The regular tuition rate for these courses is waived under this program, leaving participants with only the associated fees. Of the five Alamo Colleges that offer this program, three are in San Antonio, including Northwest Vista College, Palo Alto College and St. Philip’s College.
San Antonio Oasis

(210) 236-5954San Antonio Oasis is a non-profit organization that provides challenging courses in disciplines like humanities, health, technology and the arts, as well as an array of volunteer opportunities to San Antonio residents age 50 and over. Membership is free, based on proof of age, and members have access to four centers located throughout the region. These centers are open on weekdays, and hours vary by day and location.
Senior Centers(210) 207-8198San Antonio is home to 10 city-operated senior centers for residents age 60 and over. These centers provide a wide variety of programs and activities, including exercise classes, arts and crafts workshops, trips and basic health screenings. Senior centers also provide daily meals, giving members the opportunity to visit with friends. Free transportation is available to the centers from homes within a five-mile radius.
Reduced Fare Transportation Services(210) 362-2020VIA Metropolitan Transit, which provides public transportation services in the San Antonio region, has a senior discount program for area residents age 62 and over. Participants pay a very low fee on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and ride on the weekends for free. To apply for a Reduced Fare ID, older adults can go to their nearest VIA Information Center