The Lone Star State is a retirement hotspot that’s home to more than 3.7 million seniors. With 25 metropolitan areas and seven distinct regions, Texas has something for everyone. It’s home to world-class medical facilities, and there are plenty of attractions to explore. Seniors benefit from a pleasant climate with very mild winters. The cost of living is about 6% lower than the national average, and there’s no state income tax.

Independent living facilities in Texas provide social and recreational activities for older adults. Residents reside in private apartments that typically feature full kitchens and other amenities. Seniors can prepare food at home or enjoy a restaurant-style meal in the dining hall. These communities offer housekeeping services and handle interior and exterior maintenance. Because they’re often part of continuing care retirement communities, residents can stay in the same location if their needs change.

Seniors in Texas can expect to pay $2,599 per month for independent living, slightly lower than the national average. Rates vary depending on the community, its amenities and the floor plan. You can learn more about your options in this guide, which features pricing information and a directory of free statewide resources.

The Cost of Independent Living in Texas

Note: Independent Living offers a safe living environment but with minimal assistance, so it’s generally cheaper than Assisted Living by about 30-40%. Because there aren’t any established costs for Independent Living, we calculated them by subtracting 35% from the average costs of Assisted Living as listed in the 2021 Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey.

Seniors seeking Independent Living in Texas will pay $326 less per month compared to the national average. Average costs are lower than in New Mexico by $325 and lower than in Colorado by $489. However, Texas’s costs are higher than Louisiana’s by $163, Arkansas’s by $155 and Oklahoma’s by $93.

$2599

$2924

New Mexico

$3088

Colorado

The average monthly cost of Independent Living varies across cities in Texas, from $2,218 in San Antonio to $3,474 in Austin. Lubbock’s average is nearest the state average at $2,568 while Dallas’ and Houston’s costs are higher at $2,727 and $2,759, respectively. Amarillo’s cost is higher still at an average of $2,990 per month, which is lower than Austin’s cost by nearly $500.

$2218

$2990

Amarillo

$3474

Austin

Other senior care options are also available in Texas. Adult Day Health Care costs about $769 per month and offers care in a non-residential setting. Assisted Living offers personalized supportive care in a residential setting but costs 35% more than Independent Living at an average of $3,998. Receiving care at home is slightly higher, averaging $4,576 for either Homemaker Services or a Home Health Aide. The highest level of care is provided by Nursing Home Care, which also carries the highest price tag at $5,125 for semiprivate rooms or $7,092 for private rooms.

$2599

Homemaker Services

$4576

Home Health Aide

$5125

Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room)

$7092

Nursing Home Care (private room)

Can You Use Medicare or Medicaid to Pay for Independent Living in Texas?

Unfortunately, you cannot use Medicaid and Medicare to help pay the monthly fee for residing in an Independent Living community. For seniors who need help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), there may be financial assistance programs available to help cover the cost of care in Independent Living. For more information about financial assistance for those who need a higher level of care, read our guide to Assisted Living in Texas.

Read on for more information about using alternative means to make Independent Living more affordable, such as retirement funds, the sale of a home, etc.

Independent Living Resources in Texas

Whether you’re thinking about independent living or another alternative, long-term care planning can be a difficult process. Fortunately, Texas offers several free resources to help you understand your options and make the right decision for yourself and your loved ones.

Resource
Contact
Service
Seniors in Texas are served by 28 regional Area Agencies on Aging that provide information about local programs and services. Staff members can help you understand long-term care options, arrange in-home assistance and refer you to organizations that offer nutritional services, transportation and legal advice.
The state's long-term care ombudsman educates the public and advocates for seniors in continuing care retirement communities and similar facilities. Volunteers can provide information about residential health care providers, long-term care insurance and ways to pay for supportive services. They also handle disputes involving specific facilities.
Veterans and dependents have access to wide-ranging benefits sponsored by the state and federal government. If you want to learn more about these programs or need help applying for benefits or appealing a decision, a veterans service officer can help. Claims offices are located at VA Outpatient Clinics, Veterans Service Centers and various medical centers in each county.
211 Texas is a free statewide resource that directs residents to government agencies, nonprofits and other partners that are active in their area. You can call 211 or visit 211Texas.org to find information about adult protective services, long-term care providers, senior transportation, housing, support groups, legal resources and government-sponsored financial benefits among other services.
HICAP is a free state-sponsored program that helps Medicare beneficiaries and families understand their health care benefits and manage their expenses. Counselors provide unbiased plan comparisons and free one-on-one counseling, and they can help you apply for programs that can lower your premiums, copays and prescription drug costs.
This nonprofit partners with individuals, businesses and charitable organizations to manage more than 32,000 volunteers who contribute more than 5.8 million hours of service annually. It manages the state's Foster Grandparents, Senior Companion and Retired Senior Volunteer programs. Volunteers are also needed for special events, such as charity golf tournaments and community health fairs.

COVID-19 Rules for Independent Living in Texas

The following information is based on research done on several government websites, including hhs.texas.gov. These rules apply to Independent Living Communities and other types of senior living facilities. We’ve most recently updated this data on 2/15/2022, but since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving pandemic, contact your local senior living facility or Area Agency on Aging for more specific and up-to-date information.

Visitation Policies

Rules for Texas Communities

Can I visit my relative in person if he/she wants emotional support from me?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Can I visit my relative in person for end-of-life compassion care?

Will my loved one be required to self-quarantine after I visit him or her?

Do I need to wear PPE and/or a cloth mask if I do visit my relative in person?

Are Hairdressers and other non-medical contractors still allowed in senior living facilities?

Does the state recommend or require that senior living facilities assist families with setting up virtual visit alternatives?

Are visitors being screened for elevated temperatures?

Are visitors being asked questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Outings & Social Activities

Rules for Texas Communities

Are residents allowed to leave the facility for non-medical reasons?

Are residents of senior living facilities who leave and return required to self-quarantine?

No (Conditions Apply)

Are senior living facilities required to cancel all group outings?

Are residents still eating together in the dining hall?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are facilities still allowed to host group activities within the community?

COVID-19 Safety Measures for Staff and Residents

Rules for Texas Communities

Are staff members and contractors being screened for elevated temperatures?

Are staff members and contractors being tested for Coronavirus?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are staff members and contractors being asked questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Are staff members required to regularly screen residents for coronavirus symptoms?

Are residents relied on to screen themselves and self-report potential coronavirus symptoms?

Are staff members required to take residents’ temperatures?

Are residents being tested for coronavirus?

Find Independent Living Communities in Texas

Use the tool below to find Independent Living Communities near you – if you’d like to search in a specific city in Texas, simply put that in the search bar below.

Brookdale Memorial City

11900 Barryknoll Lane, Houston, TX, 77024

My mother-in-law will be moving into Brookdale Memorial City. They offer a kind of ala carte service. If you need extra assistance at some point, that will be available to her. So for her current stat … (read more)

Holiday Copperfield Estates

16820 West Rd, Houston, TX, 77095

After having reservations about my mother’s ability to live here, their sales member assured me they would work with me. Now my mother has been hospitalized twice in the two weeks since she has been t … (read more)

Brookdale West University

5151 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX, 77005

I signed up for Brookdale West University. I chose it because it’s close to my daughter, and it had enough shopping opportunities within walking distance of the community. I also chose them because I … (read more)

Ella Springs Senior Living Community

16700 Ella Blvd, Houston, TX, 77090

We toured Ella Springs Senior Living Community. The thing that I liked the least was the size of the closet in the living units; they were quite small. The lady who toured us was very, very helpful an … (read more)

2017

Brookdale First Colony

16900 Lexington Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77479

The rooms at Brookdale First Colony were bigger, but it wasn’t as new and updated as the other one we visited. They had a beauty salon and a TV room. The staff was also nice but they really couldn’t s … (read more)

2020

Elison Independent Living at Willowbrook

7575 Willowchase Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77070

We chose Elison Independent Living at Willowbrook for my son. It’s a wonderful place. It’s equipped with everything. My son loved the food that was being served there. The staff answered all my questi … (read more)

Brookdale Galleria

2929 Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX, 77056

The apartments at Brookdale Galleria apartments were very spacious, very well laid out, and had big closets and balconies. They were right next door to a nice urban park, so there was greenery around … (read more)

St. Dominic Village

2401 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, 77021

St. Dominic Village was a small living arrangement, but the grounds, the dining room, and the rooms were nice. It’s in a very nice location. I got to meet one of the placement coordinators and she was … (read more)

The Village of River Oaks

1015 S Shepherd, Houston, TX, 77019

The Village of River Oaks was beautiful with lots of beautiful common areas. The menu in the dining facility looked fantastic, the people and the staff that I met were very nice and professional. It’s … (read more)

Morada Cy-Fair

11500 Fallbrook Drive, Houston, TX, 77065

I’m in the independent living while my husband is in memory care. I’m very pleased with the caregivers, and the staff here is wonderful and caring. I’m thoroughly enjoying it, it’s very pleasant, they … (read more)

Holly Hall Retirement Community

2000 Holly Hall Street, Houston, TX, 77054

Holly Hall Retirement Community is the Number 2 selection for me. They had a 1-bedroom 1-bath, and they were good-sized. They had full kitchens, they were nice apartments and the facility was nice. It … (read more)

2015

Parkway Place

1321 Park Bayou Dr, Houston, TX, 77077

Emerson Pines

10100 Kempwood Drive, Houston, TX, 77080

I toured Emerson Pines. They were very nice. It was a nice, and spacious place. And the staff who toured me was nice and very attentive. The room was spacious and can accommodate a wheelchair for my r … (read more)

The Solana Preserve Vintage Park

14221 Vintage Preserve Parkway, Houston, TX, 77070

I toured The Solana Preserve Vintage Park, and it was awesome. It was amazing. It just wasn’t what we needed. I physically went in and I spoke with Sierra but we didn’t go very far other than the lobb … (read more)

The Village of Tanglewood

1600 Augusta Dr, Houston, TX, 77057

My parents have already been in The Village of Tanglewood for three years now. They like where they are. It’s "grade A" all the way. It’s very, very nice and a great place. They have people who come i … (read more)

Village on The Park Steeplechase

12102 Steepleway Blvd, Houston, TX, 77065

I did a real tour of Village on The Park Steeplechase and it’s a good place for us. They have what I want, they have the independent care and the little cottages, and independent care apartments. Then … (read more)

The Village At Southampton

5020 Kelvin Dr, Houston, TX, 77005

Our bright and expansive floor plans offer an array of sophisticated features in every home, including sleek quartz countertops, custom cabinets, individual climate controls, floor to ceiling windows, … (read more)

Anthology of Tanglewood

504 Bering Drive, Houston, TX, 77057

Anthology of Tanglewood was a nice place. The room was pretty nice and the price was reasonable. The people were friendly and it was clean. They had an outside area and a restaurant for the residents … (read more)

Loving Care Cottages