78 Assisted Living Facilities near San Antonio, TX
Known for its rich and diverse Mexican-American history and world-famous river walk, San Antonio is a destination for retirees both in the state and around the country. To help seniors find the assisted living community that’s right for their family, we’ve researched and compiled in-depth information about the cost of care, how to pay for care, and important local laws and regulations involving senior care and assisted living.
With an average cost of $3,151 in San Antonio, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 553 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 77 facilities in San Antonio.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in San Antonio, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Antonio
San Antonio, a major urban area in Texas, is the 7th most populous city in the U.S., topping the list of the fastest growing cities in 2017. With more than 11 percent of its 1.5 million residents falling in the 65 years and above group, the city has 75 assisted living facilities to serve the needs of seniors needing help with daily living. In San Antonio and the rest of Texas, these facilities are licensed and monitored by the Texas Health and Human Services to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Antonio
- The San Antonio area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Nix Health Hospital and the Metropolitan Methodist Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The VIA Metropolitan Transit provides public transportation services within San Antonio and nearby communities. Seniors can avail of a Reduced Fare ID at any VIA Customer Service Center to enjoy discounts and free Saturday and Sunday rides. Buses are wheelchair-friendly and offer ramps for safe, easy boarding.
- San Antonio is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Art and cultural sites in San Antonio offer leisurely recreation for seniors while providing a glimpse of the city’s rich history. The San Antonio Art League and Museum is open free to the public, while the McNay Art Museum and The Witte Museum offer discounted admission rates for seniors.
- The overall cost of living in San Antonio at 97 is slightly better than the national average of 100 and the state’s 102. Seniors spend less for their daily supplies with a moderately low grocery index of 89, compared to the state’s 97.
- San Antonio barely experiences snowfall and enjoys around 220 sunny days throughout the year. This offers plenty of outdoor-friendly days for seniors to appreciate the city’s many attractions.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Antonio
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in San Antonio start around $3,117 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Antonio and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Antonio
Look for programs designed to ease the cost of assisted living. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services has a number of services to help seniors stretch limited budgets.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Antonio
San Antonio and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Antonio, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Antonio
San Antonio-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in San Antonio, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Antonio
Review of BeeHive Homes of Crownridge
Beehive is amazing ...The at home in a professional setting is a refreshing change... The owners are truly the best!! This is a family run business with heart.. I can’t say enough... Great food, P... Read more
Review of Red Oak Memory Care
Great provider friendly staff always very clean and neat would recommend this facility for everyone. Read more
Review of BeeHive Homes of Crownridge
Don't really know where to start. After looking at many facilities to place Mom, we kept coming back here. The feel when you walk in is different than any other, it truly feels like you walked in t... Read more