Brookdale Oakwell

Reviews of Brookdale Oakwell

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Oakwell

June 21, 2021

By Donna

Brookdale Oakwell was very nice. It was less expensive, which was nice, because they were running a 20 percent discount. It was older, it felt closed in to me, and it had an older smell to it, but the people were very nice, and it seemed like it was well run. The room they were going to give me needed new carpet, so seeing it as not yet clean was kind of a turnoff. The staff was very good, informative, and knowledgeable.

February 19, 2020

By revierwer02102020

Our tour at Brookdale Oakwell was fine. They only have two apartment sizes, from inexpensive to very expensive, with nothing in-between. I only met one staff member. They provide transportation except on weekends; they have their own little bus. They take their residents to three or four places during the week if they want to go.

August 05, 2019

By Doris

My mother is at Brookdale Oakwell. I'm very pleased with it, and it's very impressive. They've been very good, they've done everything they said they were going to do. Other friends who have family in different cities also with Brookdale have been pleased and thrilled. Everything has been great. The staff is courteous, and the food has been excellent. They come in and clean and take care of everything. The food presentation is great, the aroma, everything's very well prepared, and it's like going to a nice restaurant. They take them out on field trips, play games, puzzles, and bingo. I've walked in there different times of the day, and it's always been the same. They're very kind to people. There's nothing negative to say.

December 19, 2018

By Paula

Brookdale Oakwell was a good community. The room was too small, which was a big factor. I liked the courtyard area. The place was off the road and in a quiet neighborhood.

September 30, 2016

By Phoenix345037

I visited Brookdale. I liked the atmosphere, and the staff was friendly. Everything was fine with the tour and with the people there.

February 09, 2016

By Andrea31

I did go to Brookdale Oakwell for my husband. They were very personable, and friendly. They seemed sincere. They asked a lot of questions on what we really need, and what I want for my husband. They showed me one room where somebody has been living, and it was nice. It had a restroom, and a TV. It was very nice.

February 09, 2016

By CL1

Mom has been at Brookdale Oakwell for ten years. Nine years it was managed by another company before Brookdale took over, and that is the reason we left. Before Brookdale, things were well-managed, and the pricing was fair. After they took over, the prices went sky-high. The activities became less, and the food was never improved. The staff were okay. It’s the new management that is not good. The food became terrible.

April 27, 2015

By Mrs C1

Brookdale was an OK place and looked fine. I didn’t have any negative comments about it at all. It was clean to me, and the staff was nice and accommodating. The rooms were fine and looked OK. I like the fact they changed the carpets out, and I like the idea that they had memory care.

August 13, 2014

It was beautiful, but it was way too expensive. It was wonderful; I loved it. The rooms were a little smaller, but they were of adequate size. The staff seemed really friendly. It was just a beautiful place. The dining room was very nice.

September 26, 2013

By Pamela14

Mom has been here for a week and so far so good. They have given my mom extra care. They have a lot of activities. They take the residents to the doctor's appointments. They also take them to Walmart and Target.

August 11, 2013

By Diane33

I would love to place my husband here if he was eligible because they seemed to be very good, but they don't take patients who had feeding tubes on their stomach. But they seemed to be a very nice place to go. Their rooms were very nice and had kitchen facilities. Their dining room was in an average size. They had lots of activities. What I liked best about them was the fact that they seemed to know all their residents and they were able to personalize things. They seemed to really want to help them. I was impressed.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Oakwell

October 21, 2019

By Debra

I liked that Brookdale Oakwell was clean and that the people were courteous. There's a studio and a regular room, and they're equipped with a bathroom and a chair in there. They also have a vanity. The studio can have up to two people. They have 24-hour care there, covered parking, and I like that you need a code to get in, which makes it very secure.
See all Memory Care reviews (5) See fewer reviews

Questions about Brookdale Oakwell

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Monthly in-service and as needed, 16 credit hours per year in geriatrics. Plus, 12 additionally hours in dementia care.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Oakwell. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average age is 70's. We have an active population of residents who enjoy socializing and resident outings.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Oakwell offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Daily fitness, brain stimulating activities, reminiscing, music therapy, pet therapy, socialization, spiritual

What places are near Brookdale Oakwell or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Medical professionals, walking trail, a café, we provide transportation to shopping centers, restaurants, etc.

What transportation services does Brookdale Oakwell offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation services are available for doctors’ appointments, therapy appointments, socialization events, gym and swimming pool.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Oakwell exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

The residents choose from a menu at every meal. There is a wide variety of menu options, including sandwiches to prime rib, specialized Brookdale seasonings on every table, dietician planned meals and all meals are served restaurant style.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Oakwell offer to assisted living residents?

Doors lock after 7pm, visitor sign in/out, nightly checks every two hours, emergency call system in every room including call pendants.

How does Brookdale Oakwell keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Open lines of communities with families via phone, in person or e-mail.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Oakwell during daytime and nighttime hours?

We have a wonderful program which allows us to match our staffing to our current resident needs; along with a standard “safety staffing number”.

If Brookdale Oakwell accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Enclosed courtyard

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Monthly in-service and as needed, 16 credit hours per year in geriatrics

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

1 associate per 5 residents.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Oakwell provide to protect residents who wander?

If residents begin to wandering they will transition to our memory care.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Oakwell offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We follow the Clare Bridge Daily Path Program.

Our Health and Wellness Director will assess our residents every six month unless there is a change in condition.

What techniques does Brookdale Oakwell use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Cluster groups, residents get to choose what they would like, positive reinforcement and cueing.

How does Brookdale Oakwell keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Open lines of communities with families via phone, in person or e-mail.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Oakwell. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Business district/residential neighborhood

Is Brookdale Oakwell affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

The family has their choice which hospital they use.

Costs for Brookdale Oakwell

• State Licenses: 0-30087

• Get Costs

About Brookdale Oakwell

Amenities and Services
    • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
    • Medication management
    • Dining assistance and special diets
    • Assistance with reminders and redirection
    • Escorts and assistance with walking
    • Emergency response call system
    • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Oakwell