The warm Texas city of San Antonio has over 1.5 million residents, of whom 12% are seniors 65 years of age or older. Seniors may be interested in San Antonio’s robust medical facilities, including UT Health San Antonio, which features a dedicated program that cares for older adults. Other notable facilities include the Baptist Medical Center and Methodist Hospital. Nursing home costs in San Antonio are relatively low, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. A semiprivate room in San Antonio has an average monthly cost of $5,338, but in the nation as a whole, that cost is $7,756.

Nursing homes provide high levels of supervision, monitoring and medical care that are not feasible for individuals still living in their residences. Typical features include aides and skilled nurses who are on hand around the clock. Accordingly, nursing homes tend to be expensive compared to other senior living arrangements. Individuals who do not need high levels of care may find assisted living or home health care more affordable and appropriate.

This guide covers the costs of different care types in more detail. It also lists some resources that aid San Antonio’s elders.

Directory of Nursing Homes in San Antonio, TX

2015, 2016

Blue Skies of Texas

5100 John D. Ryan Blvd, San Antonio, TX, 78245

My wife was at Blue Skies of Texas for rehab after she broke her hip in August of last year. They did everything they’re supposed to do. It’s clean, they had security, they were always there when she … (read more)

2013

The Forum at Lincoln Heights

311 W Nottingham, San Antonio, TX, 78209

The Forum at Lincoln Heights is an excellent facility and they’re well-staffed. My mother has been there four times, she likes the place, so it’s her preferred place. It’s very comfortable, very clean … (read more)

Heartland of San Antonio

ONE HEARTLAND DR, San Antonio, TX, 78247

This was my first time to use Heartland’s services and I’d recommend them to all my friends. 5 stars across the board. I had a great time over here. Thanks 🙂

2021

Blue Skies of Texas East

4917 Ravenswood Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78227

I am a short-term resident at The Mission at Blue Skies East. I’m here receiving rehab for my knee. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this facility. the staff and the food here are outstandi … (read more)

Sorrento

2739 Babcock Road, San Antonio, TX, 78229

While she was there I was impressed with the staff & the facility…It was when she was sent home that the problems began. While there she was on a nebulizer – none was sent home with her. She … (read more)

Stone Oak Care Center

505 Madison Oak Ave, San Antonio, TX, 78258

I couldn’t be more satisfied with the care my mother received while she was at Stone Oak. It was under Covid conditions that she was able to be there in the first place, but the staff were caring and … (read more)

Kaulbach Assisted Living

602 Babcock Rd., San Antonio, TX, 78201

I moved my mother to this care facility after she suffered an injury. The entire staff was caring and took great care of my mother. I was fooled by appearances at the other location because it was new … (read more)

Saint Francis Nursing Home

630 W Woodlawn Ave., San Antonio, TX, 78212

This is a caring facility. They seem to be devoted to the well being of there patients and have always helped me being almost 300 miles away. I can call anytime and ask how my mom is and they know im … (read more)

Coronado at Stone Oak

19638 Stone Oak Parkway, San Antonio, TX, 78258

nice facility but my loved one went at age 88 after hospital visit from a fall. She was due to go home on day 15 and on day 14 we got a call she was tested and had coronavirus. Not good. Cannot get … (read more)

Afv I Health Care Center

4917 RAVENSWOOD DR, San Antonio, TX, 78227

Great place for my Mom, great facility with households rather than long corridors, feels like home!

Stonebrook Manor at Broadway

1841 FLAMINGO, San Antonio, TX, 78209

My brother is currently in Stonebrook Manor At Broadway. The care has been excellent. Everything provided for him has been very good. He is a very hard case because he is very stubborn. However, they … (read more)

Sonterra Health Center

18514 SONTERRA PLACE, San Antonio, TX, 78258

no activities, not allowed outside, even in full sun, food not recognizable at times, other just some blender of yesterdays leftovers. never served hot, nor warm maybe not cold. staff way under-manned … (read more)

2013

Parklane West Healthcare Center

2 Towers Park Lane, San Antonio, TX, 78209

My brother is in Parklane West Healthcare Center. The room is okay. It’s smaller and has a roll-in shower, which I liked. He doesn’t have to go down the hall to take a shower, so that part’s good. Fro … (read more)

Hunters Pond Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

9903 Hunters Pond, San Antonio, TX, 78224

the new company that has taken over is doing a great job
the new company that has taken over is doing a great job

Trisun Care Center Wurzbach

8300 8300 Wurzbach Road, San Antonio, TX, 78229

I recently transferred my mom from another facility to this one and was admittedly feeling apprehensive about making such change, but I’m happy to say I’ve been more than pleased. Everyone from admiss … (read more)

Regent Care Center of San Antonio

16400 BLANCO RD, San Antonio, TX, 78232

I was able to visit Regent Care Center. Everybody was quite pleasant, the caregivers felt really caring, and the rooms are definitely clean.

Huebner Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center

8306 Huebner Road, San Antonio, TX, 78240

My mother-in-law stayed at Huebner Creek Health. Honestly, I couldn’t go in to see her because of the COVID thing, so we do the phone, but she was able to talk to me. She liked it most of the time and … (read more)

Westover Hills Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

9922 State Highway 151, San Antonio, TX, 78251

Westover was great. My mom liked it there, and everybody liked her. She met a lot of friends, and a lot of the nurses really cared for her. She ate her breakfast and had physical therapy, and I made h … (read more)

Alamo Heights Health & Rehabilitation Center

8223 Broadway, San Antonio, TX, 78209

My parents are now at Alamo Heights Health & Rehab. It looks overwhelming at first because it’s a big building, but it’s very homey and smelled clean when I went in. Everything looked pretty much … (read more)

Las Colinas of Westover Rehabilitation Center

9738 Westover Hills Boulevard, San Antonio, TX, 78251

I used Las Colinas of Westover a couple of times for respite for my mom. I got her clothes back, which is good, because I completely lost them from the other place. They kept Mom clean and I liked the … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in San Antonio, TX

Nursing home semiprivate rooms cost an average of $5,338 in San Antonio. The corresponding cost for private rooms is $6,737.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Using monthly average costs of semiprivate rooms in nursing homes as comparison points, San Antonio’s costs are over $2,000 cheaper than the average American city. However, San Antonio is more expensive than the Texas state average, which is $5,019.

San Antonio aligns closely with Victoria and its $5,353 monthly average. San Antonio is nearly $300 less expensive than Houston, and the gap between San Antonio and the pricier city of Laredo is even larger at over $600 more per month. The average nursing home resident pays less in Austin ($5,201) than in San Antonio, though.

$5338

Austin

$5962

Laredo

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It is also useful to compare nursing home prices to costs for other types of care in San Antonio, especially if family members aren’t sure if it’s the right placement for their loved one. Adult day health care is the least expensive option, carrying an average monthly cost of $795. Home care and home health care run an average of $4,290 and $4,385, respectively, while the average cost of assisted living is $3,599 per month. Nursing homes are on the high end of the spectrum. Semiprivate rooms cost an estimated $5,338 per month, and the matching figure for private rooms is $6,737.

$4290

Adult day health care

$3599

Assisted living

$5338

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6737

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in San Antonio, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in San Antonio, TX

The following resources are often of use to San Antonio’s seniors. They may make it easier to remain at home, thus delaying the transition to nursing home care. They may also make nursing home care more attainable and easier to understand once it is needed.

ResourceContact Service
Senior Services

San Antonio’s Senior Services assist city residents who are 60 years of age or older. The city operates several senior cities, a nutrition program and a transportation service. Other offerings include online classes and Project Cool, through which seniors can request a box fan for relief during the hotter months of the year.
Bexar Area Agency on Aging (BAAA)(210) 477-3275
The BAAA serves San Antonio with different divisions that focus on areas including benefits counseling, caregiver support and care coordination. The agency also provides home-delivered meals, transportation and referrals to other service providers. Additionally, it oversees the Alamo Service Connection, which acts as a link to more resources. The BAAA helps individuals who are 60 years of age and up.
Meals on Wheels San Antonio(210) 735-5115
Meals on Wheels San Antonio delivers meals to homebound seniors each weekday. It also provides pet and emergency meals, nutrition education and dietary consultations. Additional offerings include a visitation program and a home safety service that assists with home repairs and temperature control.
Northeast Senior Assistance (NESA)(210) 967-6372
NESA is a nonprofit that helps seniors at no charge. To be eligible, an individual must have limited or no capacity to find car transportation on their own, be 60 years of age or older, and live in northeast San Antonio. NESA handles tasks such as grocery shopping and delivery and small home repairs. It also transports seniors to appointments and facilitates socialization events.
Jefferson Outreach(210) 734-5016
Another senior-focused nonprofit organization, Jefferson Outreach provides information on different living arrangements, rehabilitation centers, hospice companies and elder law attorneys. Transportation and telephone calls to mitigate feelings of isolation among the elderly are among its other offerings.