The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

Offers Independent Living

4243 Thousand Oaks, San Antonio, TX 78217
The Waterford at Thousand Oaks (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 2 days

Let Freedom Ring! Call this community to learn how you can save this month!

Reviews of The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

Independent Living Reviews for The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

October 01, 2020

By John

The service is great!! Everyone is friendly and genuinely cares about each and everyone.

John, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations!

September 29, 2020

By Margaret

Excellent, friendly and always willing to help me when I need help.

May 09, 2020

By Omisbest

I was very hesitant to move from my home of 48 years to a retirement community, but moving into the Waterford at Thousand Oaks has been one of the best decisions my family and I made. They made me feel welcomed and the other residents were very nice. They had everything I needed and as things changed they did everything today keep taking care of me. They keep my family up to date whenever things happen and treat my family as nicely as they do me. The people at the Waterford Thousand Oaks are some of the best parts of living here, and they are more like family now.

Omisbest, thanks for your praise and kind comments about our team. We are blessed you chose US to call home:) We hope to always earn your Five Star Review!

April 22, 2020

By Stephanie VA

I would like to express how grateful I am with the Waterford at Thousand Oaks. During these hard times they have been so informative and have given me a peace of mind that my mother is taken care of. They truly go over and beyond and wanted to say THANK YOU!!! Anyone with a family member that is looking to move to the Waterford at Thousand Oaks, I cannot express how amazing this place has been to my family and my mother. Prices are perfect for all the food, housekeeping, and most importantly someone is always there. They have activities, the rooms are perfect and the staff goes over and beyond.

Hi Stephanie Va, thank you so much for your positive comments about The Waterford at Thousand Oaks!

March 08, 2019

By Toni

My mother-in-law is a resident of The Waterford at Thousand Oaks. It's definitely independent living, so the staff's involvement is more with the three meals they provide a day, and the front desk. They come over and talk to the residents, or just check on them. I've had some issues with my mother-in-law not really getting involved without some encouragement. So I talked to the staff, they're great at helping me by having other residents who they think would fit well with my mother-in-law, to come by and introduce themselves then invite her to do things. Everybody was super friendly. When she first moved in, there were some things she needed adjusted in the apartment. She called the maintenance, then went down for lunch, and by the time she came back immediately it was all fixed. They were right on top of things. Among the places we've seen, this one fits our budget and offers tons of amenities. They have a separate company who have a little room there that if they needed physical therapy or extended care, they would help work with that. They have a day where they go to the grocery store, or to the nail salon, they have their own beauty shop for haircuts. And there are all kinds of classes, church services and crafts. For the price you're paying, you're not normally seeing anything remotely comparable anywhere with that price range.

Toni, we are glad we could help and thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review!

August 06, 2018

By Steve

My mom was a resident of The Waterford at Thousand Oaks, and we really like it there. It was very positive and friendly, and the staff was very caring. The community events they had there for the residents were excellent. It just had a really homey feel and my mom was really happy there. The grounds were very well-kept and the place is well-located. I equate my mother's apartment to a studio apartment, and it had a small refrigerator, microwave and a sink. So it's has a very small kitchenette, not really anything you could cook on but it was comfortable for my mother.

Steve, thank you so much for the positive review!

November 29, 2017

By Ann

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks is very nice and very clean, which is a must for us. The layout is very nice, too. The dining area is very large. They have a gym, activity rooms, and transportation. The director and the staff are nice, but I don't like the Marketing Director. We're very happy with Waterford.

May 22, 2017

By dennis338677

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks was clean and excellent. The apartments were adequate but too expensive. The staff was informative and did a satisfactory job. Their dining area was nice and clean, and the food was good.

May 22, 2017

By rich357840

We moved to The Waterford, which is being remodeled. Everybody has been extremely helpful and very friendly. The dining area is nice and large, and has assigned seating with four to a table. The food is excellent; they give you good choice of meals, and if you don't like the daily special, they give you something else. They have a bus that takes us to Walmart 2x a week and to the doctors.

May 09, 2017

By Lynn216042

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks was the first on our list because it was the closest to where we live. I took my friend to see it, and she fell in love with it. They are very attentive to her needs. Whatever she needs, they attend to it in a timely manner.

March 29, 2017

By Marie808831

The staff at the Waterford at Thousand Oaks was very helpful and very kind. Right away, they accepted me as one of them. They were very accepting -- especially the back office -- and they were ready to sign me up. The room was a very good size, and it was just beautiful. Everything was so new. The carpeting, even the laminate flooring, was beautiful. It had a kitchenette, and it was just beautiful that I think any person would have loved to live in that kind of environment. And the activities were wonderful, so I wish I could have stayed there. I fell in love with it.

February 01, 2017

By TM620316

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks had beautiful apartments, but it wasn’t as homey as other ones. The residents could put a wreath on their door, but they couldn’t really decorate the outside. It looked brand new and was at least 10 or 15 years old. The food was good. They were very friendly. I didn’t like that their fridges were tiny. They had big rooms and big living rooms, but small kitchenettes tht were more like a bar. It would have been nicer to have a bigger refrigerator and more cabinets for the kitchen area. Their library was tiny. They also had a TV room, but it was so tiny.

December 16, 2016

By Sandra453135

We visited The Waterford at Thousand Oaks. It was very nice, but the price was out of our budget. We would have loved to pick them because they were in our neighborhood. They did not have a model apartment for us to look at. We had to look at one that somebody was living in that was OK. It was a little awkward because there were people there. The dining area was beautiful.

October 20, 2016

By Markell

The Waterford at Thousand Oaks is really nice, and it seemed like somewhere I want to live if I got pretty old. The staff is very friendly and seemed like they were eager to help me and my family out. The rooms are not very spacious, but it seemed very nice. Everything is really nice. If I were to put my grandfather in a home, that's where I'll put him. I thought the price could be a little bit less, but maybe I just didn't experience everything that they had so maybe their price is right. It wasn't too expensive, but I felt like it could be a little bit lower.

October 13, 2016

By Ron483271

I was very impressed with The Waterford at Thousand Oaks. It was very clean. It was very uplifting. Everybody seemed to be happy and in a good mood. It was a very good experience there. The rooms were very nice, very kept up, and very clean. I’m sure my mom would thoroughly enjoy it there if we pursue that. With my limited exposure to them, they get a 5, I was very impressed with it. They had lots of activities. They were going on with bingo, and they showed us several rooms where they have a pet rally for the Spurs, arts and crafts, a library, and things like that. I was very impressed with everything.

September 30, 2016

By SG460237

The Waterford was great, and the pricing was really good, but their apartments were just a little smaller. A lady was really nice there too. It is an older place and better on his budget. The dining room was really nice, well-maintained, and the residents seemed happy.

September 15, 2016

By Cindy727732

The Waterford was a really nice facility. However, they did not have anything close to the size of the room accommodation that my mother was looking for. All they had was their smallest room -- which was right around 300 sq. ft. -- and they were not able to help us in saving any money as well. We were trying to see if we can get a room that would give her a little more space and also if we can save her some money, and they weren’t able to do either one. As far as everything else, the facility was very nice, everybody was very nice, and they gave me an opportunity to look at their menu and their restaurant style dining and to also talk to the other residents. The residents there were very happy, and it’s a really nice place. It just did not meet our mother’s criteria. This is a very good location for seniors because it’s nestled right in the middle of just a lot of businesses where I can see that a bus ride or even a van ride there wouldn’t be a very long ride. Across the street is a grocery store, and down the road are a dollar store and a bank. They’re really in a very nice location where all the amenities that people really need at their convenience are right there.

July 29, 2016

By Bonnie M

I visited the community when a friend of mine was invited. The event was a Memorial Day cookout. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and I got to meet some friendly people. I will certainly consider this place when I decide to move to a community.

May 10, 2016

By Caring daughter in law1

The staff was excellent at the Waterford. The residents looked happy, busy and have been very engaging with each other. It seemed like there were more women than men.

January 29, 2016

By Jan G.

We visited The Waterford for my mother. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. The entrance was very open, and airy. I enjoyed the lunch. I met with some of the staff, and some of the residents. I liked the room choices. The facility was expensive, but reasonably-priced. Overall, it may be next to the top-pick for my mom. They had a recreational director, too. At that time, we walked in on a group that was learning about the iPad. Somebody would come in once a week, and give a class on that. They would take you to medical appointments, too.

December 29, 2015

By AlliefWilliam

My mother has lived at Waterford for eight months now. She loves the food and companionship she has found there. She is residing in a one bedroom apartment with her own furniture. They provide cleaning service weekly including washing bed and bath linens. Washing machines for everyone's use are provided. She enjoys participating in the exercise and walking classes. And she loves the Bingo games.

November 24, 2015

By Florence16

I love The Waterford and has everything I need. Transportation is very good, and they have a lot of activities, which I like. The staff is very helpful and has always been very considerate. Sometimes I don't like the food because it's something I don't like orI don't like the way it's made, but for the most part, it's OK. Living in a community where there are many people, you can't satisfy everybody all the time. I like the different choices offered; they do an ala-carte menu in addition to their daily menu. I've been in three different apartments in this place. One was the smallest size they offer and was very comfortable when I first moved in, but I started needing more medical supplies and found it got cramped. The medium-sized one didn't have enough closet space, which was the only problem I had in that room. In the room I'm have now, the closet is very large, and there's also a coat closet, so there is plenty of space to store stuff. We play bingo twice a week and Pokeno once a week. They have a happy hour plus some other activity every Friday, transportation to church if you want to go, and transportation to Walmart and HEB once a week. They also have what they call quick errands twice a week, and you can go to the bank, the post office, to get your watch repaired, to one of those places to get your hemlines fixed, or other places like that. You can go almost anywhere. We have a walking group who walk inside the building because we have a lot of handicapped seniors and it is better for them to walk on a smooth surface. They walk the building and every hall three times a week. I would like a pool, but I don't think that's going to happen. We do use the community pool; we have access to it, I believe, three times a week. They'll transport us to the pool Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, or about three times a week when it's open during the season because it's an outside pool. They also have an exercise room available whenever you want to use it and exercise classes five days a week. You use it at your own risk, but we do have it. We have weights, bikes, and one of those walking machines.

October 19, 2015

By Caring Daughter28

I like the layout of the room at the Waterford. It was smaller. The grounds was way down on the northeast side of town. It’s pretty well established, old and kind of rundown too.

August 11, 2015

By Michael110956550

The Waterford is a good community. It has excellent amenities and services. My mother's room is good, the staff is good, everybody is really good. It's just that she doesn't like it. We put her there because there's a life there. They have events, games, exercise, libraries, bingo, they take the elderly out, and even some residents have their own cars. Each resident has their own room, and they also have rooms for husbands and wives. They provide different rooms for different types of budgets. They have a suite that has a bedroom, a living room, and a little kitchen area. My mom is in one room that has a little refrigerator.

July 04, 2015

By Mary110357150

My mother-in-law moves in The Waterford at Thousand Oaks. We like it primarily because it is close to the residence of her children. It is convenient for the family. The facility is clean and bright. The services seem to be comprehensive. The price is right, and you do not make a long-term commitment. They have various activities. They make postcards. They have an exercise group, and they go out to lunch sometimes. Her room is spacious.

June 06, 2015

I visited The Waterford. It was clean. I liked it better, but it was too far away.

June 10, 2014

By Gary35

The Waterford looked like a nice place. I talked to some residents there, and they liked it. It’s independent living, but they do have some facilities for assisted as needed. It has a nice feel. It’s clean and friendly. Mom is in a smaller studio. They did have better options, but that was what she needed. That has her own room with a separate bathroom and a little kitchenette. They serve food, and it’s actually very good. I’ve eaten there a few times myself. They have something going on every day.

January 17, 2014

I had been out to The Waterford several times. It was a very nice place. I liked it and the apartments were really nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. The food was very good. I liked the amount of activities they had because there were a lot of things to choose from. There was something to do every day out there. They had parties all the time for various occasion and I had been invited to all their events. They brought a lot of outside people for entertainment.However, the community was not familiar with me at all because I lived in the opposite direction. I would not consider living there because it was too far from where I lived. I don't know the area and I don't think I would be comfortable out there.

September 26, 2013

By Lance3

I love the place. They really have a nice set up. Everybody was really friendly there. The place is clean and everybody was organized. It also got a nice location. I might end up being at Waterford when I need a facility. I would surely recommend this facility.

Questions about The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

We are conveniently located between 4 major highways, 410, 281, 1604 and IH-35. We are surrounded be restaurants, shopping malls and a short distance from the airport. We are directly in front of the Northern Hills golf course and adjacent to Walmart, HEB, and several banks.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at The Waterford at Thousand Oaks has organized?

We have enjoyed taking our residents to local shops, artisan showcases, the San Antonio Aquarium, and all the way down to Kickapoo Casino. Due to covid-19 we have postponed our outings for the safety of our residents. We are excited though to look to the future adventures we can take in a safer world.

What transportation services does The Waterford at Thousand Oaks offer to independent living residents?

Our transportation is top notch, with friendly faces and a helping hand in and out of our vehicles. We offer transportation Monday through Thursday to doctors appointments around the city of San Antonio.

What makes the chef or dining program at The Waterford at Thousand Oaks exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our team has over 30 years of culinary experience that help us create a dining experience that is delicious. Each meal there are menu options to choose from or you can choose the signature dish. We offer a variety to fit anyone, from steak or fried chicken, to egg salad sandwiches or veggie wraps.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Our community was built to support our active seniors to keep fit and have fun. Venture from our game room with billiards and poker to our media room for a movie for a leisure afternoon. Feel the need to move and groove then visit our gym with several fitness classes offered through out the week. Crafts from puzzles to wreath making are all available with classes from residents with professional backgrounds to help hone our artistry skills. Our chapel host bible studies, hymn singing groups to communion. We welcome everyone to find a calming space to practice their faith.

What safety features or security measures does The Waterford at Thousand Oaks offer to independent living residents?

We are a gated community with well lit parking lots. Each of our apartments has emergency pull cord system installed offering 24 hour response.

If The Waterford at Thousand Oaks accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We welcome our furry friends to call us home with space designed just for them. We have open lawn spaces for them to take their friends on a walk or venture off their leashes in our dog park.

Does The Waterford at Thousand Oaks work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We work with a variety of providers to ensure our residents have access to set up the care they may need. We can help connect you with different groups local to our area.

Photos of The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

Payment options

• Check
  • Payment Options Extra: Automatic Withdrawal

About The Waterford at Thousand Oaks

Remember The Waterford at Thousand Oaks for Independent Living in San Antonio, Texas. Our blend of desired amenities and convenient services offers residents a vibrant lifestyle with the independence they expect and deserve. From thoughtfully designed studio, one- and two-bedroom floor plans to myriad recreational and social opportunities including ice cream socials, happy hours and movie nights, residents may just find that we have thought of everything. Our apartments boast vaulted ceilings and walk-in closets as special touches to make residents feel right at home. Four-legged friends will find comfort in our community, as well, with an onsite pet park where owners can share stories while dogs run and play in San Antonio’s gorgeous weather. Our San Antonio ZIP code means there are plenty of entertainment and recreational opportunities outside of the fun our residents have each and every day at The Waterford. Residents who want to escape to any number of local and chain restaurants in the surrounding city can take advantage of our car and 22-passenger bus or use VIA bus, which runs right by our gated community.

Map of The Waterford at Thousand Oaks