As the capital of Texas, Austin is a major metropolitan area that gives seniors access to excellent hospitals, robust social services and a wide selection of long-term care facilities to choose from. It’s home to a fairly small senior population — less than 9% of residents are aged 65 and up. Like in many other Texas cities, Alzheimer’s and dementia are a steadily rising problem for older adults. According to the Centers for Disease Control, Alzheimer’s-related deaths rose from 223 in 2014 to 309 in 2018, an increase of 38.8%. Comparatively, the overall death rate rose by only 22.2%.

Fortunately, seniors with cognitive impairments can get help at one of Austin’s many memory care facilities. These provide strong security measures, safe environments, therapeutic memory support programming and a high level of assistance with each resident’s activities of daily living. In this guide, you’ll learn about the benefits and drawbacks of memory care in Austin, its price compared to other Central Texas cities and helpful resources for seniors and their families.

Memory Care Facilities in Austin, TX

2014, 2015, 2016

Brookdale Round Rock

8005 Cornerwood Drive, Austin, TX, 78717

Brookdale Round Rock is located just east of Avery Ranch Golf Club in Austin, Texas. Residents have access to laundry services, and cleaning crews stop by their suites every morning. Tai chi, cooking … (read more)

2015, 2016

Brookdale North Austin

5310 Duval Road, Austin, TX, 78727

Brookdale North Austin is located in the Duval Springs section of the Austin metro area, about 12 miles north of downtown. Staff members receive high ratings for their helpful and pleasant attitudes, … (read more)

Brookdale Beckett Meadows

7709 Beckett Road, Austin, TX, 78749

I like Brookdale Beckett Meadows very much. It was very nice. They had a resident dog there. It seemed good. The staff was awesome. I saw some activities. They had a place where you can fold laundry i … (read more)

Buckner Villas

11110 Tom Adams Dr, Austin, TX, 78753

Legacy Oaks of South Austin

7501 US-290, Austin, TX, 78736

I did an in-person tour of Legacy Oaks of South Austin.The facility is fairly new, I think she said, it’s six years old. So that’s a very nice feature. It looks like it’s in a pretty good location. It … (read more)

Ledgestone Senior Living

13150 Four Star Blvd, Austin, TX, 78737

Sodalis Austin

7017 Menchaca Road, Austin, TX, 78745

Excellent, attentive, patient, friendly care! Whitne is the absolute best, she’s very special to our family.

The Plaza at Querencia

2500 Barton Creek Blvd, Austin, TX, 78735

Maravilla at The Domain

11001 Austin Lane, Austin, TX, 78758

My wife is in Maravilla at The Domain in the memory care section. I think that the care she’s getting is very good and it works out OK. There are just some issues like trying to make sure that her med … (read more)

Pecan Ridge Memory Care

10025 Anderson Mill Rd., Austin, TX, 78750

My husband is in Pecan Ridge Memory Care. The atmosphere is nice and feels more like a family home instead of an institution. The people have been very nice and very helpful. They’ve done their job. I … (read more)

Brookdale Northwest Hills

5715 Mesa Dr., Austin, TX, 78731

Brookdale Northwest Hills was very high up on our list of where we were going to place our loved ones. The lady that showed us around was superb and very, very accommodating. She was informative, pers … (read more)

SoCo Village

3700 Payload Pass, Austin, TX, 78704

Auberge at Onion Creek

11330 Farrah, Austin, TX, 78748

I went to visit this facility, but the parking lot was full. Not sure what I would have done if my family member was there and I was wanting to visit. Facility is fairly new and looks like the perfect … (read more)

Sodalis at Dripping Springs

11013 Signal Hill Drive, Austin, TX, 78737

I really enjoyed the lady from Sodalis at Dripping Springs who showed me around. She was very straightforward and honest. I like that the place was small and not fancy. My mother was very old and very … (read more)

Longleaf Bee Cave

3936 South FM 620 Road, Austin, TX, 78738

Tech Ridge Oaks Assisted Living and Memory Care

400 E. Yager Lane, Austin, TX, 78753

I visited Tech Ridge Oaks Assisted Living and Memory Care for my friend. Everything was very serene the day that I went. It was before Christmas or the week of Christmas. It looked lovely and clean, a … (read more)

The Village at The Triangle

4517 Triangle Ave., Austin, TX, 78751

My husband went into the memory care at The Village at The Triangle. I was very pleased with it. They show a travelogue, have music, exercise, nature walks, and bowling. His room is very nice, a good … (read more)

Auberge at Bee Cave

14058 Bee Cave Parkway, Austin, TX, 78738

This is a wonderful place clean , family atmosphere, friendly staff and helpfulland frendly. They are a true blessing for family’s that need assistance with any memory issues. As my mother-in-law pass … (read more)

Colonial Gardens – Austin

3700 Adelphi Ln, Austin, TX, 78727

We have found a place called Colonial Gardens – Austin that’s providing memory care. It’s like assisted living but for dementia patients. We’ve never seen anything like it and it’s wonderful. The only … (read more)

Arden Courts of Austin

11630 Four Iron Dr, Austin, TX, 78750

My husband entered Arden Court 3-6-2020. It was one week before the COVID quarantine. I have not been able to visit for 4 months. The staff has been so helpful to keep me updated about his care. We ch … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in Austin

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in Texas. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in Austin

In Austin and the rest of Texas, facilities that provide memory care are licensed and regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services. Its website has a directory of licensed memory care facilities throughout Texas, quality monitoring information and a list of laws all communities are required to follow.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in Austin

• Austin boasts several of the state’s best hospitals, including Ascension Seton Medical Center, St. David’s Medical Center and Baylor Scott & White Medical Center. All were rated highly by U.S. News & World Report thanks to cutting-edge care in cardiology, neurology and other specialty services.
  • Austin has a Senior Transportation Program for adults 60 and older who are unable to drive themselves. Wheelchair-accessible vans are available for people with medical equipment. Residents can request a ride to nonemergency medical appointments, shopping centers, banks and other destinations throughout the service area.
  • Austin’s cost of living is higher than the national average, with an index of 119.3 compared to the U.S. index of 100. Housing (159.6) and transportation (109.9) are more expensive, but residents pay less for groceries (96.7), health care (94.4) and utilities (99.1).
  • Winter weather is fairly comfortable in Austin. Snow is a rare occurrence as the city receives an average of zero inches annually, and the average low temperature in January is 38 degrees. In July, the average high temperature is 95 degrees. Austin experiences approximately 228 sunny days per year, more than the national average of 205.
  • The air quality in Austin is on par with the national index of 58, which can make the city a safe choice for people with respiratory conditions such as COPD and asthma. Austin has excellent water quality — its index is 80, compared to the national index of 55. This indicates that the city’s water is low in bacteria, chemicals, metals and other harmful substances.
  • Austin’s property and violent crime rates are higher than average. However, memory care facilities are secure, usually with 24-hour staff and security systems.
  • Since 2012, Austin has been a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities. This means government agencies and local leaders have committed to making Austin a comfortable city to live in for people of all ages.

Paying for Memory Care in Austin

In Austin, the average monthly cost for memory care is $6,681. Memory care is often offered in specialized units of assisted living facilities. These units provide a high level of personal care, strict security measures, memory support programming and safe environments that are soothing to people with cognitive impairments. Memory care is typically 20%-30% more expensive than standard assisted living. The following prices are based on assisted living rates from Genworth’s 2021 Cost of Care Survey plus 25%.

The Cost of Memory Care in Nearby Cities

With prices averaging $6,681 per month, memory care in Austin is more expensive than the national average of $5,625 and the Texas average of $4,998. It’s also higher than most other cities in the region, such as San Antonio, where seniors pay about $4,266. Rates in College Station are on par with the Texas average, and in Killeen, prices are a bit higher at $5,271. Waco is one of the most affordable places for memory care in the area, with costs averaging only $3,500.

$6681

Killeen

$3500

Waco

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Memory care can be expensive in Austin, so residents may want to consider their other options. Hiring a home caregiver costs around $5,196, and home health care is priced the same. Seniors can receive daytime-only supervision for $1,517 and regular assisted living for $5,345. Nursing home care costs $8,973 for a private room and $5,931 for a semiprivate room.

$5196

Adult Day Health Care

$5345

Assisted Living

$5931

Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room)

$8973

Nursing Home Care (private room)

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Austin

In Austin, there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in Texas page.

More ways to pay for memory care in TX

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Texas page.

Free Memory Care Resources in Austin

Austin has many free resources, programs and services for seniors in memory care communities and their loved ones. Residents can consult the following resources to find answers to questions about Alzheimer’s disease, financial aid programs, health insurance for seniors and more.

Resource

Contact

Service

AAACAP provides information, referrals to local resources and direct assistance for Austin's seniors, family caregivers and loved ones. Services it provides include care coordination, Medicare benefits counseling, caregiver support and unbiased advice to help families choose a quality memory care facility.

The Alzheimer’s Association offers educational programming, support groups, referrals to community resources and individual planning services for people diagnosed with memory disease. Staff can answer questions about what to expect through the stages of Alzheimer’s, how to handle the transition to a memory care facility and financial assistance options families can use to pay for their loved one's care. It regularly offers caregiver support groups and special events where families can get help with finances, future planning and a variety of legal issues.

The ombudsman program investigates complaints regarding the quality of care in Austin's memory care facilities and advocates for residents' rights on their behalf. It helps with issues such as neglect and abuse, exploitation, improper nutrition, wrongful evictions and problems with staff. On its website, families can find a consumer guide to choosing a long-term care facility, which includes information about costs, inspection reports and quality measures to watch for when touring a community.

Through AGE of Central Texas, this program provides free durable medical equipment and incontinence products to seniors who can't afford to buy their own. Equipment availability varies but may include wheelchairs, walkers, shower chairs and shower transfer benches. There's no time limit on donations, so seniors are welcome to use the equipment for as long as they need.

Mike's Place is a respite program for seniors with early-stage Alzheimer’s or dementia and their loved ones. The program provides social activities for seniors, such as crafts and live entertainment, while giving family caregivers free time to rest and relax.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Austin

Austin Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Texas page for more information about these laws.

Laws and Regulations for memory care in Texas