Montgomery County is a community of approximately 830,000 residents. It has a large senior population that accounts for over 18% of residents, which is high compared to the national average. Older adults can enjoy a comfortable retirement with easy access to restaurants to suit any preference, nearly endless shopping venues and over 300,000 yards of golf courses. The region has a vibrant arts and culture scene with over 200 attractions, ranging from award-winning playhouses and historic movie theaters to museums and art galleries.

There are approximately 60 assisted living facilities in Montgomery County. Monthly rates in these facilities, which are licensed as assisted living facilities or personal care homes, average $5,550, which is high compared to state and national fees. Although, costs between individual facilities may vary, depending on location, fee structures and the level of care provided.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Montgomery County, PA

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

The Birches at Harleysville

691 Main Street, Harleysville, PA, 19438

We took Mom out of Birches at Harleysville after two months! Think long and hard about how much care your Mom or Dad need before considering Birches. It was a complete disaster for our 94-year-old M … (read more)

2015, 2016

Sunrise of Blue Bell

795 Penllyn Pike, Blue Bell, PA, 19422

The tour at Sunrise was excellent. They took us on a grand tour of both the assisted living and the memory care unit (because I was also interested in that). The layout was beautiful there. It was lov … (read more)

The Quadrangle

3300 Darby Road, Haverford, PA, 19041

The professional care staff lacked interpersonal skills and medical knowledge on how to care for our uncle who was there to recover from a fall.

Sunrise of Abington

1801 Susquehanna Road, Abington, PA, 19001

Sunrise of Abington had just opened where we could actually tour the facility. We toured their independent living and their assisted living, and we decided that independent living is better for my sis … (read more)

Traditions of Lansdale

1800 Walnut Street, Lansdale, PA, 19446

The Traditions of Lansdale was clean, it was open, it was very airy. It was a one-floor which I think was tremendous because I don’t think seniors should be going into an elevator for some reason and … (read more)

Park Creek Place Assisted Living

1091 Horsham Road, North Wales, PA, 19454

We went to Park Place today, and we had a good visit. It was a good and very informative tour. The place is small but lovely. They have everything there that you need. You do not need to put a lot of … (read more)

Commonwealth Senior Living at Willow Grove

1120 York Road, Willow Grove, PA, 19090

Commonwealth Senior Living at Willow Grove (Formerly The Landing At Willow Grove) was more hospital-like and much, much smaller, which I didn’t think was really gonna benefit my father. We didn’t spen … (read more)

Symphony Square

35 Old Lancaster Rd, Bala Cynwyd, PA, 19004

I love Symphony Square. It was very nice and the people were extremely friendly. They met most of the needs that my father would be looking for. However, the cost was a little bit prohibitive. The sam … (read more)

Springfield Senior Living

551 East Evergreen Avenue, Wyndmoor, PA, 19038

We chose Springfield Senior Living Community for my parents since a lot of places are not accepting new residents due to the virus. We got lucky and found a place that would accept them. Initially the … (read more)

Sunrise of Haverford

217 West Montgomery Avenue, Haverford, PA, 19041

The first reason why I chose Sunrise of Haverford for my husband is that it’s very beautiful. It’s very aesthetic, doesn’t look like anything sad or depressing, and it’s attractive. Everything about i … (read more)

Sunrise of North Wales

1419 Horsham Road , North Wales, PA, 19454

It was beautiful but a little bit smaller. The only thing that my mom didn’t like about it was it was more remote, but it was very clean and the staff was lovely. It was very nice and centrally locate … (read more)

Greenfield of Perkiomen Valley

300 Perkiomen Avenue, Schwenksville, PA, 19473

We selected Greenfield of Perkiomen Valley for Mom because it was close to family and the staff was friendly. We had positive reviews from the staff at other assisted living homes. Mom says the food i … (read more)

Sanatoga Court

227 Evergreen Road, Pottstown, PA, 19464

2016

Sunrise of Dresher

1650 Susquehanna Road, Dresher, PA, 19025

My mother-in-law moved into Sunrise of Dresher. We chose it because of convenience and reputation, and we were familiar with other people who had stayed there who spoke highly of it. They were very … (read more)

Atria Lafayette Hill (Now Open)

9303 Ridge Pike, Lafayette Hill, PA, 19444

The staff were so welcoming when I came for a tour. They even had my name and balloons on a welcome sign as soon as I entered. the tour was very thorough and we saw so many residents outside in the … (read more)

Sunrise of Lafayette Hill

429 Ridge Pike, Lafayette Hill, PA, 19444

First impressions are lasting. Walking in to some of these assisted living facilities can be somewhat depressing. When I entered Sunrise in Lafayette Hill there was a flurry of activity and smiles f … (read more)

Penn Assisted Care

68 Main St., Pennsburg, PA, 18073

The staff are kind and patient and I have been very impressed so far. The building is kept very clean. I’ve read some reviews and feel they are unfair. The place is not fancy but the price is very r … (read more)

St. Mary Center For Rehabilitation & Healthcare

701 Lansdale Avenue, Lansdale, PA, 19446

My 97 year old mother needed care in the last few months of her life and I toured the lovely facility and grounds with the Admissions Director, Bernhard. The almost 100 year old church is at the cente … (read more)

Dresher Hill Health and Rehab

1390 Camp Hill Road, Fort Washington, PA, 19034

Paying for Assisted Living in Montgomery County

Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey discloses regional senior care costs throughout the United States, helping seniors make informed decisions for retirement. Because no data is available for Montgomery County, the following cost comparison is based on the fees listed for Philadelphia, which is located about 30 miles away. Here, assisted living fees are relatively high at $5,550 per month. This is nearly $1,600 higher than the state median of $3,955 and approximately $1,250 higher than the national average of $4,300, making it among the more expensive options in the nation for assisted living.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

At $5,550 per month, assisted living fees in the Montgomery County region are among the highest in the state. Those seeking affordable care have many options to choose from. In the capital city of Harrisburg, care costs exceed state and national averages but are considerably lower than in Montgomery County at $4,857 per month. In Erie, fees are closer to the national median at $4,315, and in the York area, care costs are a little lower at $4,260 per month. Rates in Lancaster average $4,050 per month, and in Pittsburgh, the second-most populous city in the state after Philadelphia, monthly care costs are very affordable at $3,550. The Scranton area is the cheapest city in the state for assisted living, with monthly fees coming in at $2,450.

$5550

Pittsburgh

$4315

Erie

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Montgomery County

Montgomery County seniors who meet certain eligibility requirements for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging waiver may qualify for financial assistance in order to pay for care within one of the city’s assisted living facilities. In addition, if you receive SSI and need to live in an assisted living facility, the state can pay a supplement to the facility if you qualify.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Montgomery County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Montgomery County

ResourceContact Service
Montgomery County Senior Services(610) 78-3601The county’s Senior Services Division plans, coordinates and administers a broad array of free and low-cost services to area residents aged 60 and over. Through this nonprofit agency, seniors can schedule level of care assessments, which may be required for those seeking accommodations in certain types of assisted living facilities. The agency also has a long-term care ombudsman who advocates on behalf of assisted living residents who’ve received subpar care. The ombudsman can help residents understand their rights, obtain the services outlined in the personalized care plan and resolve interpersonal issues that arise. They can also field and investigate reports of abuse or neglect.
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA(610) 275-5400Legal Aid of Southeastern PA is a local nonprofit legal firm that provides free representation and assistance to those aged 60 and over. The agency specializes in elder law and can help older adults with creating simple wills and assigning guardianship and powers of attorney. The agency can also help seniors obtain public benefits that may help them cover assisted living expenses, including Social Security and Medicaid.
Senior Adult Activities Center of Montgomery County(610) 275-1960SAAC is a local nonprofit organization that offers a wide array of social and recreational opportunities for older adults in Montgomery County. It operates two senior centers where members participate in age-friendly fitness programs, play games, enjoy congregate meals and connect with advisors who can help them identify and apply for programs and services. The agency has a social services team that helps with applications for public benefits, educates older adults on how to protect themselves from fraud and helps seniors obtain mental health services. It also administers programs to support holistic wellness, including Walk with Ease and tai chi.
Veterans Affairs(610) 278-3285The county’s Veterans Affairs office is operated by veterans who are trained to help qualifying seniors who served the country through military service. At this location, veterans get help with applying for benefits that help cover assisted living expenses, including pension programs, disability compensation and the Aid and Attendance benefit. The office provides free shuttle service to nearby VA medical facilities, special advocacy services and tax assistance. It can also help veterans connect with local organizations, such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
RSVP(610) 834-1040RSVP is a volunteer organization for those aged 55 and over. Through this nonprofit agency, older adults can serve their communities in the capacities that fit their abilities, schedule and interests. There are numerous volunteer opportunities to choose from, including virtually tutoring veterans or high school students in math, providing administrative support to local nonprofit organizations and charities and advising nonprofit management.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Montgomery County

Montgomery County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Montgomery County