The Birches at Harleysville

Reviews of The Birches at Harleysville

Assisted Living Reviews for The Birches at Harleysville

March 02, 2021

By SalesGal82

We took Mom out of Birches at Harleysville after two months! Think long and hard about how much care your Mom or Dad need before considering Birches. It was a complete disaster for our 94-year-old Mom. She needs assistance standing up, sitting down, walking, transitioning from bed to chair and from chair to bathroom. The staff did not provide adequate care - we assume because the staff to patient ratio is too low. The first two weeks there she fell four times (inadequate ambulatory help provided) and had to be taken to the hospital once because she hit her head while falling. She was so ignored she ended up with bedsores on her bottom. Her hearing aid batteries weren’t changed. Her dentures were filthy. Sorry for the graphics – her diapers were usually stinking and soaking when we visited. Most staff were incredibly slow to return phone calls and emails – if they did at all. We couldn’t get Mom out of there fast enough. Mom commented, “They ignored me. It was like I was there at their service.” Well, she’s not there anymore. If your Mom or Dad need lots of care – don’t even consider Birches. The room was fine. The food was fine. The care was woefully inadequate.

We are sorry that your Mother had a negative experience. We recognize that it is difficult to trust the care of someone that you love to a community; and that the restrictions with COVID-19 added to that unease. Please know that we recognize the great responsibility of caring for the residents who choose to make The Birches ‘home’ and that when mistakes are made, we work to correct them. The Birches is committed to providing exceptional care to our residents and have added your concerns to our Quality Assurance program for ongoing review.

December 04, 2020

By Gloria

I toured The Birches at Harleysville virtually and in person, but I could not go to the memory care unit. I went just to look at the place, and I liked it. I thought it was very nice. The people that I spoke with were very nice. I really liked everything about The Birches. It was a good size, and it was a good area. I was pleased with the majority of everything I saw there. I was virtually put through memory care, but I was able to be there and actually look at the personal care. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and available. They didn't have much of a walking area outside, but the area for sitting outside was nice.

April 13, 2020

By Allen

We like The Birches at Harleysville, but it is just too expensive. Their apartments were very nice. They have music every so often and they have game rooms. Amenities were pretty standard, but the food was very good.

January 01, 2020

By JohnMF

Our family visited numerous Personal Care facilities in the area and The Birches was by far the best in regards to pricing, room accommodations, professionalism of staff, and the size and appearance of common areas. The staff members who we interacted with seemed sincerely interested in the residents based on our observations and the Marketing Director was involved and helpful without being pushy. For personal location reasons, the family member chose another facility that, although not as desirable as The Birches, is also excellent.

September 06, 2019

By Food and physical therapy are outstanding

I recently had a two week respite stay at The Birches Harleysville. Retiring from the food service industry after 40 years, I enjoyed many meals at senior living communities. Food is a very important part of the resident experience. I was pleasantly surprised how wonderful the food tasted. I'm a soup person and I would give them 5+ stars in this area. They are all homemade. Also, I enjoyed the Fox Rehab team. Their physical and occupational therapists were outstanding, genuine and very helpful.

August 05, 2019

By Robin

We visited the Birches at Harleysville. It's a nice facility, they're very friendly, but I did not like that they have two people in a room. She would need more care than they could provide her. The staff member was very friendly and know the residents. It was nice.

Thank you so much for visiting The Birches and your kind words about our team. Although we do offer companion apartments, I hope you were also able to see our Private Studio and One Bedroom Apartment floor plans.

May 24, 2019

By Florida Monika

I initially came for a tour knowing that our mom had come to a point that she needed to have more supervision. I was immediately put to ease experiencing the caring attitude that each staff person extended towards me. Unexpectedly, my mom became a resident within a short time first thru Respite and now a permanent resident. Her room is beautiful and spacious. The facilities are absolutely clean and fresh smelling no matter where you go. The daily activities are plentiful and varied. The activity therapist was very inviting and allowed us all to join in the fun on that second day of my mother’s stay. We stayed for dinner and enjoyed a wonderful 3 course meal. The options were plentiful and well prepared. My mom ate with pleasure which was a joy since she had a limited appetite at home. The waiters at dinner time were so gracious and patient. It was a very busy Saturday night and they hustled to provide everyone there course with a smile on their faces. They have a very nice laundry room one the residents floor that dispenses Tide automatically and dryer free of charge.

February 01, 2019

By blue8

I could not be more pleased! My mother moved in about 6 months ago and we are still so happy. My mother needed a lot of help when she first arrived and the stress of choosing a place and taking the next steps was more than overwhelming to say the least. The staff made us feel so welcomed from the very start. The marketing girl spent so much time with mom and I to ease our worries. All of the staff have been so caring and mom has built so many relationships with staff and other residents. The only complaint we had was, the with the Doctor that was seeing mom at The Birches. She never got back to us when we would call. We were recently notified that The Birches decided to have a new Doctor come in and since switching over, mom has had good things to say! I'm so pleased with our move to The Birches!

January 18, 2019

By gra567

I would just like to thank you for all the help you were at getting my father into your facility. I really appreciated that you were there to meet us at 7:00 pm. All the staff at the Birches was also very helpful and friendly. Thanks again George

October 02, 2018

By egordon

I arrived here in April of 2017. I had the good experience of being here before and looked forward to reliving the same great days. I have met wonderful people, some of whom became my dearest friends. The Activities Department has had a great influence on me indeed, and all staff are an important part of my life. I thank the Activities Director for helping me to start a new program here at The Birches.

July 06, 2018

By D. Schadler

My Mother recently transitioned to Birches after over 3 years in another local facility. The warmth, concern and personalization that was shown during the decision making process has continued through my Mother's transition period. The other facility forced us to accept mediocre, impersonal care with constant, unclearly substantiated increases in cost. We are SO happy with the transfer to Birches.

December 07, 2017

By Nancy

The Birches looked lovely. They had people out there singing and doing some activities with someone involving them. It looked nice enough, and the people seemed very lovely and caring. I saw the dining room in the memory unit, which was one big room. I had a meal there before in the regular dining room of the community that was quite lovely. The person who assisted me did very well. She was very nice, pleasant, answered all the questions that I have, and since called back to check. The place was clean and smelled good.

December 09, 2016

By Jody4

I want to thank you and the staff for the excellent care and attention you had given to my aunt from day one in November 2014. At times she was a tough one, I was aware of that, but undeniably, everyone there made sure she felt right at home. No, she was at home. It was also a pleasure and a blessing to play the piano for the residents. In fact, they had blessed me more than I had blessed them. Hence, I hope you won't mind if once in a while I stop in to play for them.

November 20, 2016

By Megan822656

My mother lived here. The staff was great, and the facility was nice. The food was delicious, and she had a studio with a good enough size and a kitchenette. It was good enough for one person to live. My mom was very happy there before she passed, and they were really good with her through the very end. They offered supportive care, and the nurses were very nice and were even crying because they got really attached to her and were very sad.

Thank you so much for your comments. We do become very close to the residents. It is not an exaggeration to say that we come to think of them as extended family. Megan, your mother was a delightful lady and we are all better for knowing her.

December 30, 2015

By Christine118639950

Everything here was very clean, and the staff seemed very efficient. They had a hairdresser, a movie room, and a big cage with live parakeets. In the memory care area, they had a very nice walkway outside with gardens and stuff. Their dining area was really nice and restaurant-style.

September 19, 2015

By Ms. F

My mother has been at Birches for several months now and I can't tell you how pleased I am at the care she is receiving. The facility is very neat and clean, the staff is courteous, thoughtful and extremely helpful and my mother raves about the food! The whole experience of transitioning my mother from her home of 63 years to The Birches was, with the help of the staff at Birches, a wonderful experience and certainly less traumatic than I'd ever imagined it would be. My mother is happy, well taken care of and able to enjoy this phase of her life.

April 06, 2015

By Sara Jane

It was very nice, but the food was not as good. The rooms were a little larger. The staff seemed to be extremely courteous and knew the residents well. They had better and much more extensive PT facilities.

Sara Jane ~ Thanks for your 5-Star Review! We are excited that you identified the employees and therapy program as two of our strengths. We work hard to hire, train and retain the best caregivers. Our therapy program is individualized so that residents can remain as independent as possible. Of course, we were disappointed about your comment regarding the food. If there is anything you can share specifically about the meal, please let us know. We are always open to making changes to improve the quality of life for our residents.

September 23, 2014

By Thomas45

Birches was very nice as well as the people. The rooms were comfortable, and the dining area is big and clean. The staff was accommodating and friendly and the residents looked happy.

Memory Care Reviews for The Birches at Harleysville

March 22, 2013

By berna1radical

I am very happy that I chose this facility for my Mother who has dementia. The staff is caring and always concerned about her welfare. Her room is lovely and always kept clean and neat. My Mother loves her new home and the new friends she has made among the staff an residents. They have designated times for entertainment and things to do for the residents and have a lovely outside area that my Mother can use when the weather permits. I recommend the Birches for anyone looking for placement for their loved one.
See all Memory Care reviews (5) See fewer reviews

• Companion Suites: Yes
  • Housing Extra: Shared Living

• Coffee Shop
  • Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym, W/D In Apt., Movie Theater, Art Studio

• Pharma

• Activities Extra: Computer Class, Woodworking

• Home Sale Assistance

• Pets: Yes

• Occupational Therapy

• State Licenses: 142660 - PERSONAL CARE HOMES

About The Birches at Harleysville

At The Birches at Harleysville Personal Care & Dementia Care Community in Harleysville, PA, you'll find all the personal care assistance you need to live a healthy and happy life. No more worrying about maintaining a house, cooking or cleaning. The month-to-month lease includes three meals daily served in the dining room, housekeeping and laundry services, social events and transportation to local outings and appointments plus 24-hour personal care assistance and medication management.

Our staff is specially trained and updated in the latest methods and techniques in caring for a resident with Alzheimer's disease or other related dementias. This means that your loved one will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity in an environment that is kind and loving.

Map of The Birches at Harleysville