Situated in the southeastern corner of Pennsylvania about 40 miles west of Philadelphia, Chester County promotes comfortable retirement with easy access to sprawling botanical gardens, chain and locally owned stores and restaurants, nationally ranked hospitals and a reliable public transportation system. It’s home to Longwood Gardens, a beautiful 1,100-acre public garden that hosts learning opportunities for adults, live performances and over 10,000 plants. Four public bus providers, a paratransit system and two rail providers make it easy for seniors to navigate the region, even without a private vehicle, and several senior centers provide social and recreational opportunities.

There are over 50 licensed assisted living facilities in Chester County, including small family-style group homes with as few as four beds to large communities with over 100 beds, letting local seniors find the option that best suits their lifestyle and budget. On average, assisted living services in Chester County cost $4,050 per month, which is affordable compared to the national median.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Chester County, PA

Freedom Village at Brandywine

15 Freedom Blvd., Coatesville, PA, 19320

We’re very happy with Freedom Village at Brandywine. The place is very nice and the staff is very good. There’s a good Bridge group and they play board games. Mom said the food is good.

Sunrise of Westtown

1045 Wilmington Pike , West Chester, PA, 19382

My dad is now at Sunrise of Westtown. We chose this community because the staff there have been there for a long time, so that kinda spoke to me as far as how much they like working there. They are ve … (read more)

Pinnacle at Plymouth Meeting

215 Plymouth Rd., Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19362

Pinnacle at Plymouth was brand-new, and it was beautiful. It was like being at a hotel in Atlantic City. It was very busy. It’s a place for socially active people. They had a cooking class going on wh … (read more)

Arbour Square at West Chester

1205 Ward Avenue, West Chester, PA, 19380

Arbour Square at West Chester was very nice, but we thought it was a little too fancy and more expensive. The interior was very nice. The rooms were very nice. There were apartments and studios. They … (read more)

Sunrise of Exton

200 Sunrise Boulevard, Exton, PA, 19341

My mother-in-law moved into Sunrise of Exton. They’re very friendly, helpful, and caring. We’re very happy with them. The layout is very good, and it’s clean. I think they take care of the place prett … (read more)

St. Martha Villa

490 Manor Avenue, Downingtown, PA, 19335

I thought St. Martha Villa was good. My parents were not 100% for it, so it was a very short visit, but I thought it was a good place. The apartments were not furnished, they were just empty, but they … (read more)

Sunrise of Paoli

324 West Lancaster Avenue, Malvern, PA, 19355

The staff at Sunrise treated my mother as they would their own mother. They were accessible when we called or visited, which was a lot! Mom lived independently for 92 years so our family was concerne … (read more)

Wellington at Hershey’s Mill

1361 Boot Road, West Chester, PA, 19380

My visit to Wellington at Hershey’s Mill was good. The facility was good; my father just decided it was too expensive. They offer meals, activities, crafts and that kind of stuff. They weren’t doing i … (read more)

The Hickman

400 North Walnut Street, West Chester, PA, 19380

The Hickman was really nice. I liked it. I liked the people there. I had an in-person tour, but it was limited. You can’t get all over. Most of the time, we’re sitting out on the covered patio in the … (read more)

Eagleview Landing

650 Stockton Drive, Exton, PA, 19341

My mother moved into Eagleview Landing. It’s a new building, and it has a very nice appearance. It was important to my mom that it be very up to date and well decorated. The rooms are very spacious, c … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Willistown

1713 West Chester Pike, West Chester, PA, 19382

It is really small, and hardly has any grounds. If you want to gather around, watch football, and drink whiskey, this is your place. It felt like they were really intent on having a good time. I didn’ … (read more)

Friends Home in Kennett

147 West State Street, Kennett Square, PA, 19348

I have visited Friends Home in Kennett several times, and every time I leave, I feel absolutely wonderful. The staff and residents are wonderful. It is different from some others because it is an old … (read more)

Woodbridge Place

1191 Rapps Dam Road, Phoenixville, PA, 19442

We liked Woodbridge Place a lot. Everybody was very friendly and caring. The facility was very nice. The apartments were home-like. It didn’t feel like you were sitting in a room. We looked at the one … (read more)

Highgate at Paoli Pointe

600 Paoli Pointe Drive, Paoli, PA, 19301

Not enough nursing staff on the second and third shift. The most deplorable is the facility is not locked!!!!! The terrace level is free for anyone to walk in! It’s not safe for residents or staff!!!

Arbor Terrace Exton

100 Oaklands Blvd, Exton, PA, 19341

2014, 2015

Bellingham Retirement Community

1615 East Boot Road, West Chester, PA, 19380

Bellingham Retirement has independent and assisted living. It is an older place, but it is extremely well kept. It is very clean and very organized. It is very nice. They offer a broad selection of ac … (read more)

2014, 2015

Brandywine Living at Senior Suites

2101 New Hope Street, East Norriton, PA, 19401

My loving, charismatic grandpop has always had a larger than life personality. My grandmom always had a way of grounding him and caring for him, most times better than he for himself! When we lost our … (read more)

Tel Hai

1200 Tel Hai Circle, Po Box 190, Honey Brook, PA, 19344

I was very impressed with Tel Hai Retirement Community. I have friends there who are very happy. I was very impressed with the staff. Dinner was home-style cooking with not a lot of sauces and seasoni … (read more)

2016

Exton Senior Living

600 North Pottstown Pike, Exton, PA, 19341

Exton Senior Living seemed not to be very well maintained. The rooms were tiny and needed attention. We had an appointment and I thought it was odd to be shown around by the maintenance manager becaus … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at Longwood

301 Victoria Gardens Drive, Kennett Square, PA, 19348

When a family member needs to make the decision to move a loved one from their home, there is no tougher decision. But Brandywine Senior Living at Kennett Square helped this difficult decision. Sinc … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Chester County

According to senior care data published in Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, seniors in the United States pay $4,300 per month on average for assisted living. However, some regions have lower monthly costs depending on a range of factors, such as how many facilities are open, local living costs and licensing regulations. Pennsylvania is generally affordable for assisted living, with monthly fees coming in about 8% lower at $3,955. Cost data isn’t available for Chester County, but in Lancaster, which is located just east of the county and has a comparable cost of living, monthly fees are higher than the state median but lower than the national rate at $4,050 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Chester County is among the cost-effective options in the state for assisted living, with monthly rates averaging $4,050. Even so, more affordable care options are available, including Gettysburg, which is situated about 80 miles west of Chester County’s center and has monthly assisted living rates of $3,443. In Pittsburgh, fees are a little higher at $3,550, and in Reading, care costs are consistent with the statewide median at $3,950. In York, facilities charge approximately $4,260, and in Lebanon, monthly fees average $4,420. Philadelphia is the costliest option in the state for this type of care, with monthly rates surpassing the state and national averages at $5,550.

$4050

Philadelphia

$3550

Pittsburgh

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chester County

Chester County seniors who meet certain eligibility requirements for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging waiver may qualify for financial assistance in order to pay for care within one of the city’s assisted living facilities. In addition, if you receive SSI and need to live in an assisted living facility, the state can pay a supplement to the facility if you qualify.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chester County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Chester County

ResourceContact Service
Senior Centers(610) 344-6000Chester County is home to seven senior centers that provide social and recreational programming for older adults. Amenities and programs vary by location but typically include art and music classes, exercise programs, day trips and card and board games. These centers host congregate meals and administer health screenings to help residents monitor their health. Wellness seminars and educational classes and programs support life-long learning, and the centers’ counseling and informational assistance programs help seniors access local programs and services. The centers also provide volunteer opportunities that enable seniors to use their knowledge and experience to serve their communities.
Chester County Aging Services(610) 344-6350The county’s Department of Aging is the designated Area Agency on Aging. This nonprofit organization receives federal funds to plan and implement a wide array of services. It administers the statewide APPRISE program, which provides free, unbiased health insurance counseling and can help seniors identify ways to pay for assisted living services. The agency’s LIFE program is the local PACE program that provides a single point of contact for those who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, and its Nursing Home Transition program can help those in nursing homes transfer to assisted living.
Ombudsman Program(610) 344-6350The county’s ombudsman program advocates on behalf of seniors living in assisted living, ensuring that they understand their rights and receive the services in their care plan. The ombudsmen help resolve residents’ concerns about their quality of life and the quality of care they receive in their community and educates them on how to self-advocate. They also field and investigate issues related to problems with care, such as call lights not being answered, mistakes with medication or neglectful hygiene practices, violations of rights related to privacy or dignity and discharge or transfer problems.
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA(610) 436-4510Legal Aid of Southeastern PA is a local nonprofit legal firm staffed by volunteer lawyers and other legal professionals that specialize in elder law. Through this agency, seniors receive one-on-one assistance with obtaining public benefits, such as Social Security, disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid, which may help them cover assisted living expenses. The agency can also help with future planning, including creating simple wills, assigning powers of attorney and healthcare directives.
Veterans Affairs(610) 344-6375The local Veterans Affairs Office serves local veterans and their qualifying family members or survivors by helping them locate and apply for state and federal benefits that they’re eligible for. Through the office, veterans can apply for the federal Aid and Attendance benefit, which can be used at the beneficiary’s discretion to cover living costs, including assisted living. Other benefits that officers help visitors apply for include pension programs, disability compensation, life insurance and burial benefits.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chester County

Chester County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chester County