Situated in the southeastern corner of Pennsylvania about 40 miles west of Philadelphia, Chester County promotes comfortable retirement with easy access to sprawling botanical gardens, chain and locally owned stores and restaurants, nationally ranked hospitals and a reliable public transportation system. It’s home to Longwood Gardens, a beautiful 1,100-acre public garden that hosts learning opportunities for adults, live performances and over 10,000 plants. Four public bus providers, a paratransit system and two rail providers make it easy for seniors to navigate the region, even without a private vehicle, and several senior centers provide social and recreational opportunities.

There are over 50 licensed assisted living facilities in Chester County, including small family-style group homes with as few as four beds to large communities with over 100 beds, letting local seniors find the option that best suits their lifestyle and budget. On average, assisted living services in Chester County cost $4,050 per month, which is affordable compared to the national median.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Chester County, PA

Freedom Village at Brandywine

15 Freedom Blvd., Coatesville, PA, 19320

We’re very happy with Freedom Village at Brandywine. The place is very nice and the staff is very good. There’s a good Bridge group and they play board games. Mom said the food is good.

Sunrise of Westtown

1045 Wilmington Pike , West Chester, PA, 19382

I toured Sunrise of Westtown. It’s a good feeling. The grounds are fine. They’re well taken care of. I was assisted by the person who runs the place, but it was fine. She was very helpful. She answere … (read more)

Pinnacle at Plymouth Meeting

215 Plymouth Rd., Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19362

Pinnacle at Plymouth was brand-new, and it was beautiful. It was like being at a hotel in Atlantic City. It was very busy. It’s a place for socially active people. They had a cooking class going on wh … (read more)

2016

Exton Senior Living

600 North Pottstown Pike, Exton, PA, 19341

We went to look at Exton Senior Living. The guide for us was the head of housekeeping. He was very nice, and he did a great job. He introduced us to some of the residents that were there. It was very … (read more)

2013

Spring Mill Senior Living

3000 Balfour Circle, Phoenixville, PA, 19460

My mom lived here during the pandemic. They did a great job of keeping her safe. They also got some new management in recently and the food, caregivers and activities have gotten really good. They wer … (read more)

Eagleview Landing

650 Stockton Drive, Exton, PA, 19341

I was very pleased with my tour at Eagleview Landing. I was impressed with the person who gave the information. They were very informative. It’s a very clean, open, and bright environment. It seemed l … (read more)

Sunrise of Paoli

324 West Lancaster Avenue, Malvern, PA, 19355

Sunrise of Paoli was really nice, it was just rather expensive. They were spacious with a variety of different options available to the residents. They have a one-bedroom, two-bedroom, or studio. The … (read more)

Merrill Gardens at West Chester

1201 Ward Avenue, West Chester, PA, 19380

My father moved to Arbour Square in West Chester. I think they’re doing a very good job on trying to make him comfortable and ease into the community. The food is fine. They have lots of options in te … (read more)

St. Martha Villa

490 Manor Avenue, Downingtown, PA, 19335

I toured St. Martha Villa. The person with the information was fine. But the facility was not nice. It was much smaller, narrower, darker, and older than the other place. The building didn’t flow easi … (read more)

Sunrise of Exton

200 Sunrise Boulevard, Exton, PA, 19341

So upon moving mom out the mail issues have been a nightmare. They don’t have individual mail boxes for residents so because sunrise sorts all mail in house you cant forward mail through the post offi … (read more)

The Hickman

400 North Walnut Street, West Chester, PA, 19380

We visited a friend/former neighbor here pre-Coved. She had a 2 room apt. in the older part of the building, which looks to have been a large, private home at one time. It was a corner unit with lot … (read more)

Wellington at Hershey’s Mill

1361 Boot Road, West Chester, PA, 19380

My visit to Wellington at Hershey’s Mill was good. The facility was good; my father just decided it was too expensive. They offer meals, activities, crafts and that kind of stuff. They weren’t doing i … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Exton

100 Oaklands Blvd, Exton, PA, 19341

I have to admit that I was very nervous to visit an assisted living community. I am not sure I am ready to make a move from my home. Victoria and the rest of the staff helped me feel so at ease. V … (read more)

Friends Home in Kennett

147 West State Street, Kennett Square, PA, 19348

I have visited Friends Home in Kennett several times, and every time I leave, I feel absolutely wonderful. The staff and residents are wonderful. It is different from some others because it is an old … (read more)

Woodbridge Place

1191 Rapps Dam Road, Phoenixville, PA, 19442

We had an in-person tour of Woodbridge Place. It was an excellent tour. The grounds were beautiful. The rooms were very nice. They had great amenities. They were very friendly. Their dining room was l … (read more)

2014, 2015

The Watermark at Bellingham

1615 East Boot Road, West Chester, PA, 19380

We toured Park Lane. The staff was quite pleasant. The people there were very standoffish, and they seemed to be older than in some other places. I don’t think it was a continuing care facility. The s … (read more)

2014, 2015

Brandywine Living at Senior Suites

2101 New Hope Street, East Norriton, PA, 19401

My dad will move to Brandywine Living at Senior Suites. I like the feel of the place, I felt that it was appropriate for my father. I felt like some of the rooms were a little bit dark, and some were … (read more)

Tel Hai

1200 Tel Hai Circle, Po Box 190, Honey Brook, PA, 19344

I was very impressed with Tel Hai Retirement Community. I have friends there who are very happy. I was very impressed with the staff. Dinner was home-style cooking with not a lot of sauces and seasoni … (read more)

2015

Brandywine Living at Longwood

301 Victoria Gardens Drive, Kennett Square, PA, 19348

When a family member needs to make the decision to move a loved one from their home, there is no tougher decision. But Brandywine Senior Living at Kennett Square helped this difficult decision. Sinc … (read more)

Harrison House of Chester County

300 Strode Avenue East, Coatesville, PA, 19320

My mother currently lives at Harrison House of Chester County. She’s in assisted living or personal care. Overall, it’s good. I think she’s received attentive care. The workers are caring and compassi … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Chester County

According to senior care data published in Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, seniors in the United States pay $4,300 per month on average for assisted living. However, some regions have lower monthly costs depending on a range of factors, such as how many facilities are open, local living costs and licensing regulations. Pennsylvania is generally affordable for assisted living, with monthly fees coming in about 8% lower at $3,955. Cost data isn’t available for Chester County, but in Lancaster, which is located just east of the county and has a comparable cost of living, monthly fees are higher than the state median but lower than the national rate at $4,050 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Chester County is among the cost-effective options in the state for assisted living, with monthly rates averaging $4,050. Even so, more affordable care options are available, including Gettysburg, which is situated about 80 miles west of Chester County’s center and has monthly assisted living rates of $3,443. In Pittsburgh, fees are a little higher at $3,550, and in Reading, care costs are consistent with the statewide median at $3,950. In York, facilities charge approximately $4,260, and in Lebanon, monthly fees average $4,420. Philadelphia is the costliest option in the state for this type of care, with monthly rates surpassing the state and national averages at $5,550.

$4050

Philadelphia

$3550

Pittsburgh

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chester County

Chester County seniors who meet certain eligibility requirements for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging waiver may qualify for financial assistance in order to pay for care within one of the city’s assisted living facilities. In addition, if you receive SSI and need to live in an assisted living facility, the state can pay a supplement to the facility if you qualify.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chester County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Chester County

ResourceContact Service
Senior Centers(610) 344-6000Chester County is home to seven senior centers that provide social and recreational programming for older adults. Amenities and programs vary by location but typically include art and music classes, exercise programs, day trips and card and board games. These centers host congregate meals and administer health screenings to help residents monitor their health. Wellness seminars and educational classes and programs support life-long learning, and the centers’ counseling and informational assistance programs help seniors access local programs and services. The centers also provide volunteer opportunities that enable seniors to use their knowledge and experience to serve their communities.
Chester County Aging Services(610) 344-6350The county’s Department of Aging is the designated Area Agency on Aging. This nonprofit organization receives federal funds to plan and implement a wide array of services. It administers the statewide APPRISE program, which provides free, unbiased health insurance counseling and can help seniors identify ways to pay for assisted living services. The agency’s LIFE program is the local PACE program that provides a single point of contact for those who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, and its Nursing Home Transition program can help those in nursing homes transfer to assisted living.
Ombudsman Program(610) 344-6350The county’s ombudsman program advocates on behalf of seniors living in assisted living, ensuring that they understand their rights and receive the services in their care plan. The ombudsmen help resolve residents’ concerns about their quality of life and the quality of care they receive in their community and educates them on how to self-advocate. They also field and investigate issues related to problems with care, such as call lights not being answered, mistakes with medication or neglectful hygiene practices, violations of rights related to privacy or dignity and discharge or transfer problems.
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA(610) 436-4510Legal Aid of Southeastern PA is a local nonprofit legal firm staffed by volunteer lawyers and other legal professionals that specialize in elder law. Through this agency, seniors receive one-on-one assistance with obtaining public benefits, such as Social Security, disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid, which may help them cover assisted living expenses. The agency can also help with future planning, including creating simple wills, assigning powers of attorney and healthcare directives.
Veterans Affairs(610) 344-6375The local Veterans Affairs Office serves local veterans and their qualifying family members or survivors by helping them locate and apply for state and federal benefits that they’re eligible for. Through the office, veterans can apply for the federal Aid and Attendance benefit, which can be used at the beneficiary’s discretion to cover living costs, including assisted living. Other benefits that officers help visitors apply for include pension programs, disability compensation, life insurance and burial benefits.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chester County

Chester County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chester County