115 Assisted Living Facilities near Jenkintown, PA
Also serving communities of Rydal.
There are 115 Assisted Living Facilities in the Jenkintown area.
To help you with your search, browse the 671 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Jenkintown. Better rated regions include Wyncote with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Jenkintown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Jenkintown, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Jenkintown
The Borough of Jenkintown is among the oldest boroughs in Montgomery County, with a history that stretches back to 1874. Among the city's most popular attractions is the Hiway Theater, a nonprofit community-based movie theater that opened in 1913. Today, the theater plays old and new films and hosts special events throughout the year. Seniors over 62 receive a discount on admission.
To support the senior population, this 4,400-person community has one assisted living facility. These are another 55 facilities located nearby, providing numerous options for seniors. These facilities are officially called "assisted living residences" or "personal care homes," depending on the level of care they provide. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing. Personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Jenkintown
- Jenkintown's overall cost of living is about 18 percent higher than the state and national averages, which may be a consideration for seniors on a budget. Among the most significant factors in the cost of living difference are health care costs and transportation, which are about 15 percent higher than the national average.
- Jenkintown's climate is wet and partly cloudy year-round, with summer highs in the mid-80s and winter lows around 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The area gets just 16 inches of snow annually, which may be well-suited for seniors who enjoy traveling locally.
- Montgomery County received a poor grade from the American Lung Association for ozone pollution, which may pose a risk for seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses.
- Jenkintown has a relatively low crime rate. On a scale of one to 100, with one being the safest, the borough's violent crime rate is 24.0 and the property crime rate is 24.5. This is several points lower than regional and national averages, which may be appealing to seniors who enjoy being out alone in the community.
- Jenkintown seniors do not pay income tax on their Social Security benefits or income they receive from retirement accounts. Pension income is tax-exempt for seniors over the age of 60.
- The Jenkintown area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Meadowbrook.
Paying for Assisted Living in Jenkintown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Jenkintown start around $3,600 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Jenkintown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Jenkintown
While Pennsylvania's Medicaid program does not cover assisted living, the state does add money to the federal Supplemental Security Income benefit. Qualifying seniors can use this money toward the cost of their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Jenkintown
Jenkintown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Jenkintown, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Jenkintown
Jenkintown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.