110 Assisted Living Facilities near Bala Cynwyd, PA
Also serving communities of East Lansdowne.
There are 110 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bala Cynwyd area, with 3 in Bala Cynwyd and 107 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Bala Cynwyd is $6,494 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Haverford with an average starting cost of $6,086.
To help you with your search, browse the 614 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bala Cynwyd. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bala Cynwyd 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bala Cynwyd, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bala Cynwyd, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bala Cynwyd
Bala Cynwyd is the whimsically named northwestern suburb of Philadelphia, where the urban sprawl of America's first capital begins to flow into forested suburbs and old stone houses set back from the twisting lanes. A little more than 17% of Montgomery County's nearly 830,000 people are seniors aged 65 and over, though the county only has 14 assisted living facilities to serve their need for safe and comfortable senior care.
These assisted living communities in Bala Cynwyd, like all residential care facilities in the state, are inspected and licensed through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bala Cynwyd
- The weather in Bala Cynwyd tends to be mild in summer, though winters can get a bit cold for temperature-sensitive seniors. Summer highs in this part of the Philadelphia region average 87 degrees, while winter lows average 26. Bala Cynwyd gets 41.5 inches of rain and close to 23 inches of snow each year.
- The cost of living in Bala Cynwyd can be high for some seniors. Overall, costs here run to almost 50% higher than the national average for all common expense categories combined. Healthcare in Bala Cynwyd is more affordable, but seniors here still pay 15% higher costs than is typical nationally.
Crime rates in Bala Cynwyd are extremely low. Seniors who live in this part of the northeastern Philadelphia area experience less than 15% of the crime similar-sized cities get nationwide. Even this low rate of crime is mostly minor thefts and some property offenses, while violent crime is even less common.
- The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) provides much of the public transportation in Bala Cynwyd. This network offers locals throughout the region regularly scheduled bus and rail service, which seniors enjoy for free with a valid SEPTA ID card. State senior cards are not accepted for discount fares after September 2018. Rides across the state line into New Jersey and Delaware are half-price for seniors.
- The Bala Cynwyd area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Roxborough Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Bala Cynwyd has an array of community resources for seniors, including the New Horizons Senior Center, an organization that conducts classes for seniors on topics such as tech literacy, financial matters and basic wellness, as well as more than a dozen senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bala Cynwyd
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Bala Cynwyd start around $6,494 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bala Cynwyd and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bala Cynwyd
Seniors who live in Bala Cynwyd and receive monthly benefits through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program may be able to get a discount on assisted living costs. State law requires Pennsylvania's assisted living communities to limit the amount charged for residence to SSI recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bala Cynwyd
Bala Cynwyd and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bala Cynwyd, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bala Cynwyd
Bala Cynwyd-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Bala Cynwyd, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bala Cynwyd
Review of Symphony Square
I love Symphony Square. It was very nice and the people were extremely friendly. They met most of the needs that my father would be looking for. However, the cost was a little bit prohibitive. The ... Read more
Review of Symphony Square
Symphony Square was a nice place. Lani was excellent and knew her stuff. The residents were doing baking and crafts projects while I was there. The dining area was beautiful, but I did not taste th... Read more
Review of Symphony Square
Symphony Square was lovely. The rooms were rather small but very pretty and comfortable. They didn't have enough activities for me though. I did see some amenities there, but I'm not ready for this... Read more