44 Assisted Living Facilities near Evanston, IL
Also serving communities of Wilmette.
There are 44 Assisted Living Facilities in the Evanston area, with 2 in Evanston and 42 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 270 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Evanston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Evanston 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lincolnwood with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Evanston, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Evanston, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Evanston
Evanston is a city of around 75,000 people that's only around a ten-mile drive from downtown Chicago. Around 10,000, or 14 percent of these 75,000 residents are aged 65 and over. Some are in need of assisted living facilities to help with the tasks of daily living like grooming, housekeeping and medication management.
In Evanston, like the rest of Illinois, assisted living communities are the responsibility of The Division of Assisted Living. There are two such facilities in Evanston and almost 40 in nearby communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Evanston
- The Evanston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Presence Saint Francis Hospital and the North Shore University Evanston Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Evanston has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Levy Senior Center, an organization that provides local seniors with a variety of resources, including fitness classes and computer training.
- Seniors who live in Evanston, Illinois, don't have their Social Security payments taxed by the state. This may be appealing for seniors on a low income as it could leave them with more spare income.
- Weather could be too harsh for some seniors in the Evanston area as there's an average of 38 inches of snow per year, compared to the national average of 26.
- The cost of living in Evanston could be too expensive for seniors on a budget. While the overall cost of living is around 35 percent more expensive than the national average, healthcare is around six percent cheaper.
- Violent crimes reported in Evanston are considerably lower than the national average. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the lowest crime rates and 100 the highest, Evanston scores 15 in comparison to the national average of 22.7. Property crime is reported at a slightly higher rate than the national average at 35.8 compared to 35.4.
Paying for Assisted Living in Evanston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Evanston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Evanston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Evanston
The state's Medicaid program, specifically the Supportive Living Program, can provide support to low-income seniors living in Evanston who might not be able to pay for the total cost of an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Evanston
Evanston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Evanston, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Evanston Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Evanston
Evanston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Evanston, IL
Other Options in Evanston, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Evanston
Review of Westminster Place
I love it here. It's a beautiful, 40-acre campus with lots of flowers and trees. We do everything under the sun. We have more activities than we can do. I'm in a townhouse, and it's like home. We h... Read more
Review of Westminster Place
A good friend from church was admitted here recently and I was given the opportunity to visit her with some of her family members. When I got there, she was in the middle of a health checkup by one... Read more
Review of Westminster Place
I have never experienced a more committed and professional group of staff. What a wonderful community. Read more