28 Assisted Living Facilities near Northbrook, IL
With an average cost of $5,697 in Northbrook, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 20 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 2 facilities in Northbrook.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Northbrook, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Northbrook
Located 20 miles north of Chicago, the suburb of Northbrook is known for its parks, golf courses, walking trails and proximity to the Chicago Botanic Garden. Northbrook is a medium-sized village with a population of about 33,400 people, yet it has plenty to offer seniors looking for an assisted living community.
Over 25 percent of Northbrook’s residents are age 65 or older. To help accommodate this significant population, there are two assisted living facilities located within the village, plus an additional 28 available in neighboring suburbs. These communities provide an alternative for seniors who need some assistance with daily living, but do not require skilled nursing care. In Northbrook, and all of Illinois, assisted living facilities are overseen by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Northbrook
- Northbrook experiences all four seasons, with weather conditions ranging from pleasantly mild to miserably cold. With the influence of Lake Michigan, Northbrook averages 37 inches of snow per winter. Wind chills can also plummet into negative temperatures, making it difficult to enjoy time outdoors between December and March.
- The overall cost of living in Northbrook is 65 percent higher than the national average. However, the biggest factor in this difference is housing. Northbrook home prices are among the most expensive in the entire country. The cost of groceries, health services and utilities remain on par with the national average.
- Northbrook’s overall crime rate is notably lower than average, making it safer than most comparably sized communities across the country. The village has a violent crime rate of 0 per 1,000 residents.
- Metra’s Milwaukee District North line provides rail service between Northbrook and Chicago Union Station. Seniors are eligible for the Regional Transit Authority’s reduced fare program for travel on Metra, which runs seven bus routes throughout Northbrook. Residents may also benefit from Subsidized Taxicab and Dial-A-Ride programs.
- The Northbrook area is home to world-class medical facilities, including NorthShore University Glenbrook Hospital, Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital and Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illnesses.
- Northbrook has an array of community resources for seniors, including the North Suburban YMCA, an organization that offers fitness and lifelong learning classes for older adults, as well as three nearby senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Northbrook
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Northbrook start around $5,697 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Northbrook and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Northbrook
In Illinois, the HCBS Medicaid Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities helps pay for services in some assisted living communities, but it does not pay for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Northbrook
Northbrook and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Northbrook, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Northbrook
Northbrook-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Northbrook, IL
Other Options in Northbrook, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Northbrook
Review of North Shore Place
North Shore Place was very fancy, very high end, very beautiful, and had nice grounds. The people were very friendly. One of the reasons we didn't choose them is because they have assisted living w... Read more
Review of North Shore Place
It takes time to let your family member settle into a facility and it takes time to adjust. It took my family time as well, and we are extremely pleased with the care our family member has received... Read more
Review of North Shore Place
My wife was one of the early residents of Legacy Court, the Memory Care Unit of NSP. Her parents experiences with a similar facility in Oklahoma, and my Mother"s in Ohio, leaves me confident that ... Read more