Located less than 20 miles from downtown Houston, Missouri City is a great fit for assisted living residents who are looking for a well-connected suburban location with a reasonable cost of living. This community of 75,457 is home to more than 10,000 seniors, who benefit from a variety of age-friendly amenities. The city offers a number of recreational programs for older adults, and residents have easy access to major transportation corridors and on-demand ride-sharing programs that travel to destinations across the metropolitan area.

Seniors who need a higher level of care than they can receive at home or want to enjoy a more socially engaged lifestyle may consider assisted living. In Missouri City and the greater Houston area, the median monthly cost of care is $4,750. Local prices are higher than the state and national averages, but they’re fairly competitive for the region.

This guide provides information about assisted living, including local providers and average prices, to help seniors and their families make informed decisions about long-term care. Readers will also find information about the state’s licensing requirements and a directory of government agencies and nonprofits that can help seniors develop a plan for healthy aging.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Missouri City, TX

2018

The Avenues of Fort Bend

3505 FM 1092, Missouri City, TX, 77459

My tour at The Avenues of Fort Bend was fine; it was nice. I saw both the assisted living and memory care, because as we were walking, the staff was showing me around, and showing me everything. Someo … (read more)

Anderson Independent Home

1423 River Rock Drive, Missouri City, TX, 77489

My friend has been in Anderson Independent Home for a year now. She is so much better since she has been over there. I’m very pleased with the care that Sharon gives her. My friend is gaining her weig … (read more)

Quality Living

2029 Farm 1092, Missouri City, TX, 77459

My husband was I. Their care for about 5 mo the. He was diagnosed with progressive Alzheimer’s and was given 6 months to live. He got excellent care here and I was informed daily of his health. T … (read more)

Optimum Personal Care

2021 Farm 1092, Missouri City, TX, 77459

My mom was at the Optimum Personal Care for respite care. It’s a quaint facility, and it looked like they’ve done some remodeling. It’s a cute place that had a pretty landscape and friendly staff. It’ … (read more)

CIRCLES at Wrenway, LLC

1602 Wrenway Dr., Missouri City, TX, 77489

2015, 2022

Atria Sugar Land

1401 Soldiers Field Drive, Sugar Land, TX, 77479

Atria Sugar Land is located in Sugar Land, Texas, conveniently close to the freeway and just thirty minutes’ drive from Houston. Visitors and residents’ loved ones remark on the clean, well-maintained … (read more)

2013, 2015, 2016

Belmont Village West University

2929 W. Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77025

I went and visited Belmont Village West University. I didn’t like the location, there was way too much traffic. I like that it was a clean, nice facility, and the people seemed to be helpful. It was a … (read more)

Brookdale Sugar Land

151 Commerce Green Blvd, Sugar Land, TX, 77478

Brockdale Sugar Land, located in Sugar Land, TX, is ideally located in a beautiful setting and provides a real ‘home away from home’ experience. The home boasts a range of fantastic amenities, includi … (read more)

2015

Atria Westchase

11424 Richmond Avenue, Houston, TX, 77082

My mother is a new resident at Atria Westchase and we are extremely impressed with all they provide, and the staff there is absolutely fabulous! My brothers and I couldn’t be happier that we chose t … (read more)

2015, 2016

Brookdale Shadowlake

2835 Shadowbriar Dr., Houston, TX, 77077

Brookdale Shadowlake was well-kept. They offered three meals a day, snacks, and activities for the residents. They were also pet-friendly, so that was a bit of a difference there. Pricing was a bit hi … (read more)

Brookdale Galleria

2929 Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX, 77056

My tour at Brookdale Galleria was alright. It was good. The staff was good. The apartment was fine, it was very similar to where my mother is now. It was farther away than I wanted it to be. They have … (read more)

The Buckingham

8580 Woodway, Houston, TX, 77063

LIPSTICK ON A PIG.. I have had multiple relatives there on multiple occasions and will not allow anyone in my family to ever be admitted there again. The Plaza is simply a dressed up version of a lo … (read more)

St. Dominic Village

2401 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, 77021

We have chosen St. Dominic Village for my mom. I like the level of care and the accommodations. They have life alerts for all of the residents in the assisted living facility. So if anything happens, … (read more)

2016

The Village of Meyerland

4141 N Braeswood Blvd, Houston, TX, 77025

I’m at The Village of Meyerland. Everything is fine except the price. There is a lot of places that you can go to, to sit down and have a coffee or something. They have a very good activity area, an a … (read more)

The Village of River Oaks

1015 S Shepherd, Houston, TX, 77019

I had an in-person tour of The Village of River Oaks. It was super close to our house. The staff members were also super nice. The facility was also super clean. The layout was fine. It was just I don … (read more)

2015, 2016

Braeswood Estates Senior Living

2555 South Braeswood, Houston, TX, 77025

My mom has moved into Braeswood Estates Senior Living. I like the environment, the design of the rooms, the facility itself, and the staff. They’re very helpful, and they keep an eye on her. The place … (read more)

2014

Brookdale Spring Shadows

9889 Kempwood Dr., Houston, TX, 77080

We toured Brookdale Spring Shadows and actually placed a deposit there; however, before my mother could move in, she failed very quickly and passed. The ladies were very patient, and we had a good tou … (read more)

Brookdale Memorial Oaks

1414 Sandy Springs Rd., Houston, TX, 77042

The tour I had with Brookdale Memorial Oaks was very thorough. The administrator was very knowledgeable about what they had to offer. It was very clean. The patients seemed very happy. They showed us … (read more)

Holly Hall Retirement Community

2000 Holly Hall Street, Houston, TX, 77054

My parents chose Holly Hall for it’s beautiful campus and continuity of care. Holly Hall did not disappoint. Throughout their seven years here, they have enjoyed the chef prepared meals, entertainin … (read more)

Orchard Park at Southfork

3151 Southfork Parkway, Manvel, TX, 77578

My dad will be moving to Orchard Park at Southfork. We chose this one because the room that they have available opens out to a courtyard area, and he has a dog; they’re dog friendly. They also allow o … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Missouri City

All assisted living facilities in Missouri City must follow regulations enforced by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, Licensing and Certification Unit. The state licenses two types of facilities that are classified according to the level of care they’re authorized to provide.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Missouri City

• Missouri City is slightly less comfortable than other parts of the Lone Star State due to high summer temperatures and oppressive humidity levels. However, the area also enjoys mild Gulf Coast winters that are comfortable for seniors, and most assisted living facilities offer individual temperature controls for year-round comfort.
  • Seniors who need help getting around town can schedule wheelchair-accessible on-demand transportation through the Missouri City Community Connector. Seniors, disabled adults and Medicare beneficiaries qualify for discounted fares starting at 60 cents per ride. The city’s senior center also organizes bus trips to regional destinations and events.
  • Seniors in Missouri City benefit from a moderate cost of living that’s just 5% higher than the national average. Most cost indices for essential items are very close to the U.S. median. Two exceptions are transportation, which costs 21.5% more than average, and health care, which is 8.5% more affordable.
  • The area’s reasonable cost of living is bolstered by competitive tax rates. There’s no state income tax, so seniors can keep more of the retirement benefits, and the local sales tax rate is just 1% higher than the national average. Long-term care is also less expensive than in many parts of the country.
  • Missouri City is a relatively safe location for seniors, who may be targeted by scammers more than members of other age groups. The city’s violent crime and property crime rates are well below the national average. Law enforcement agencies report just 141 crimes per 100,000 residents, compared to 379 nationally.
  • Local residents who need emergency medical care or help managing chronic medical conditions can access world-class treatment at more than 60 local hospitals. Residents are close to the nationally-ranked Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital and several other high-performing health care facilities.

Paying for Assisted Living in Missouri City

Assisted living facilities in Missouri City, Texas, charge approximately $4,750 per month, which is higher than the state and national averages.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Data from Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey shows that assisted living facilities in Missouri City charge $450 more than the national average and $750 more than the state median. Seniors in College Station pay $605 more per month at $5,355, and rates jump by $775 to $5,525 in Victoria. Seniors who are looking for more competitive rates may consider Austin, where prices are close to the national average. Beaumont is another affordable location that offers an expected monthly savings of $1,160 per month.

$4400

Victoria

$4250

Austin

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

With a median cost of $4,750, assisted living prices are fairly competitive when compared to other forms of care since rates include room, board and personal assistance. In-home care costs $460 less per month, with an average of $4,290. However, seniors are still responsible for everyday expenses. Nursing homes cost $877 more per month for a semiprivate room, and the price difference jumps to $1,800 per month for private rooms. Seniors who may benefit from limited support can sign up for a daytime health care program for just $1,138 per month.

$4290

Adult Day Health Care

$4750

Assisted Living Facility

$5627

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7635

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Missouri City was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Houston, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Missouri City

The Texas Department of Health and Human Services can help seniors find assisted living homes in Missouri City, Texas, within their budget and that provide the level of care they require. Those with Medicaid, Medicare or SSI income, may be eligible for assisted living financing. The STAR+PLUS serves specific areas of the state, providing an alternative to nursing facility placement and also covers the cost of assisted living.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Texas

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Missouri City

The following organizations can help local seniors apply for Medicaid long-term care benefits, access government services and maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. Most services are available to seniors aged 60 and older and their caregivers.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Houston-Galveston Area Agency on Aging is a comprehensive resource for seniors who want more information about assisted living, long-term care and community-based supports. It offers free informational services to help seniors and caregivers learn more about programs that are available in their area, including benefits that can pay for personal care, prescription medications, medical equipment and other essentials.

Funded by the City of Houston and Fort Bend County, the LEED-certified Pinnacle Senior Center offers an extensive array of amenities and recreational activities for local residents aged 50 and older. It operates a gym and aquatic center that offers water aerobics and Aqua Zumba. It also hosts ping-pong tournaments, games and dance classes. Activities are scheduled Monday through Saturday.

The Mamie George Community Center in Richmond offers a variety of supportive services to seniors in Missouri City and Fort Bend County. Creative activities and senior wellness programs, including line dancing, Zumba, art classes and Medicare consultations, are available to residents aged 55 and older. It also offers transportation, case management services, benefits enrollment help and financial assistance.

Care Connection is a federally recognized Aging & Disability Resource Center that serves seniors and disabled adults in Missouri City and the greater Houston area. It offers benefits consultations and connects residents to programs that offer transportation, caregiver training and community-based long-term care, such as assisted living.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Missouri City

Missouri City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Texas