Greatwood at Sugar Land

Reviews of Greatwood at Sugar Land

Assisted Living Reviews for Greatwood at Sugar Land

February 12, 2017

By jbird1822

I love this place! Our family friend lives here and she is always busy with fun activities and has made friends with many residents and staff too. They go on trips and the staff seems to genuinely enjoy interacting with residents. Food is great too, I have eaten there as a guest.

November 03, 2016

By Kathy270414

My mother-in-law is in Greatwood at Sugar Land right now. It is a beautiful place. The amenities are great. They take them where they want to go. They take them shopping. All food is there. They do their laundry. They come in once a week and clean, and they pick-up the trash. They have fruits all the time sitting out in bowls like bananas, apples, and oranges. They have water out everywhere. They have all kinds of entertainments like one time they had somebody come in with these baby kangaroos and lemurs. They get to hold them in their arms and everything. I mean, you know, little things like that. Somebody came in with clothing for women, and they get to go shop for that. Then they have old cars for the men. Then one night, they have a big chocolate extravaganza with this thing with all kinds of chocolates on it. That looks fantastic.

October 18, 2016

By White266201

I was able to visit Greatwood at Sugar Land, and their staff was great. We took a tour of their rooms, and they were clean and nice. The only reason why we did not go there is because of it’s location. We haven’t tried the food, but the residents there said they were great. The residents that I saw were very active.

September 30, 2016

By Patricia734381

Greatwood at Sugar Land provided care for independent and assisted. They offer apartments, and it's a monthly rental. It's an older facility, but it's well set up for someone who's handicapped. It has all the proper equipment there for people who have difficulty walking or for people who have walkers. It has bars at every place that you can hold on to. I do know from other people who have been there and stayed there that the food is good. They really want you to participate in the food service, and it has a lot of staff around. It's $4000 to $5000 a month, so it's expensive because it's independent OR assisted.

Thank you for the kind words regarding our dining program and staff, we really appreciate it! As the Executive Director, I speak for all of us here at Greatwood at Sugar Land when I say that we take all feedback seriously as we strive to create a positive experience for residents and employees alike. I would love to speak with you further regarding our community, you may reach me at 281-343-8400. Thank you again; Jessica Del Aguila, Executive Director.

May 10, 2016

By ShirleyNGMKW

Greatwood at Sugar Land was fine. I rate them as satisfactory. They had two-bedroom available, and everything else was taken, but that was OK. They had a daily schedule of different things. They went out on trips to stores and for shopping. They had a fair amount of activities.

December 29, 2015

By JHO

Greatwood at Sugar Land was an older facility, and it smelled. It was a Victorian two-story assisted living place with carpets that really needed to be replaced. When I visited several months ago, people were sitting outside the front door looking unattended and not really happy. I had to wait for quite a while before somebody came to give me a tour. I met just one lady who took me around and showed me a studio apartment that was being renovated. It definitely had a smell. I was not really impressed with the place at all. They had a card room and a room where the residents can have birthday celebrations with their loved ones. They really need to check on the smell in that home and change the carpets. They should have somebody come in to freshen up and update the whole place.

I am so disappointed to hear that you did not have a better experience when visiting our community. We appreciate your feedback and I would love to speak with you further regarding your visit. My name is Jessica Del Aguila and I am the Executive Director here at Greatwood at Sugarland and I may be reached at (281) 343-8400. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

October 28, 2015

By Bill115275250

I looked at Greatwood. It was beautiful. The room had everything. It had a kitchen, a bathroom, and a bedroom. They had all kinds of activities. They had a big game room. If I had the kind of money for that kind of living, then that would be very nice.

June 21, 2015

By sugarland2015

The staff at Greatwood are great but the Executive Director on the other hand is not a caring person what so ever. My mother has had a couple of run ins with her and she was very inappropriate with her and no resident should ever experience that. She now feels like she can never go and speak with her if she needed something. A couple weeks in a row she didnt receive housekeeping because they were short staffed. When talking to the Maintaince Director about this he just told my mother that they were short staffed and wouldnt be able to do it till next week. So then the next week the same thing happened and he gave her the same response. If the old Maintenance Director would of still been there then he would clean apartments if he was down housekeepers but the new one isnt about to help out. They need a better management tream that is going to care for the residents.

We are very disappointed to learn about your mom’s recent negative experience at Greatwood at Sugar Land. I would like to reassure you that it is our expectation that each resident of our community be treated with respect and dignity at all times, and also that each resident’s apartment be cleaned weekly. It is our top priority to deliver the highest quality of services and care to our residents! I would be happy to talk with you in more detail about your concerns. We welcome any additional insight into how our management team can better serve the residents and their families. I can be reached at 281-343-8400. Lesha Vaccaro, Operations Specialist

April 27, 2015

By Lisa103523350

Probably the best impression that I got was Greatwood. They have amenities for the seniors. They have art classes where an actual artist comes and teaches them, and then they display their art. They have a poker room and a meeting room. They seem to be a super friendly staff that enjoys what they do. People move from assisted living to the more needy situation of senior care, so that’s what I liked about them. It’s a little bit farther out than I want it to be from my house if my brother-in-law and sister-in-law were moving here. They had a library that was built by a couple of the residents that put a huge amount of effort into getting book contributions, the designing and layout, and raising money for it. I was impressed with the library because so much of it was individual effort on the part of these two ladies that put time into raising money.

January 05, 2015

At Greatwood, they have very nice people but the facility was completely inappropriate for my mother. My mother requires a sling to get out of bed but they would not allow the sling in the assisted living side. We didn't see any activity when we visited, because it was during lunch time. I would give this facility a 5 if you don't need skilled nursing.

April 12, 2014

By LovelyLady00000461

When we went to Greatwood, there was no question as towhere we want them to be. We chose it for what they have to offer and for the price. My in-laws are in the independent living, and it's next to the assisted; thus, there's easy transition from one life stage to another. There are people that have been there for 10 years living life HAPPILY, and that atmosphere is contagious. A lot of people are lovingly ready to assist and we were absolutely impressed with that congeniality. They provide three meals a day in three different dining rooms where people can go from one to the other. In addition, they have a resident counsel; they test recipes and get feedback from the residents to see if everybody's happy with what they've done. They have a well-stocked library that's just lovely and comfortable, a game room, a crafts room, a place where people could read magazines, and another place to read newspapers, and a gathering area with a huge TV and chairs not facing the doorway. This is the place where life happens.

March 31, 2014

The staff at Greatwood was very adequate, informative, and very good. The rooms were very nice, and I liked their size. They had the same activities as the others.

February 28, 2014

I went for a visit at Greatwood at Sugar Land. It would have been probably a choice, but the parking was not to my liking. Parking was limited. The traffic coming to the location was also heavy. It was quite a little walk to the entrance of the facility. However, it was a very nice facility. The staff was very friendly and exceptionally nice. I did have lunch at the dining room and the food was good.

December 04, 2013

By bodiddly

Greatwood was a wonderful, lovely, clean environment when we had members relocate there quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, it is now showing it's age. The interior needs dusting, lighting needs to be replaced in a timely manner, the carpet in the dining room and main areas need to be cleaned, and the furniture is showing wear and tear. The exterior is still pleasing but it would be helpful to have sidewalks around the entire complex. General upkeep seems to have taken a downturn. This is nothing that cannot be remedied and I hesitated to give this type of review but these types of details make a huge difference in many people as they are making decisions about their loved ones. I hope these concerns are taken seriously. The employees and staff are kind and very helpful to all who come through the door - no complaints there at all.

My name is Erica Willis and I am the Executive Director of Greatwood of Sugar Land. I would like to thank you for the feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that your last visit to Greatwood was less than desirable. It is our top priority to deliver the best quality of services and care for our residents. Daily housekeeping, such as dusting, has always been a priority of ours as we employ several housekeepers whom work diligently day in and day out. I take every review to the upmost importance. I would like to encourage you to talk with me in person or contact me at the number below to share more information on why we failed to meet your expectations and how we can improve. I would like to learn more from you in order for Greatwood to remain the premier retirement and assisted living community in the Fort Bend area. Greatwood has been rated the Best of the Best for multiple years in a row. I may be reached at ewillis@seniorlifestyle.com or (281) 343-8400.

December 16, 2012

By Mary26

Greatwood is a beautiful place. They have apartments with walk-in showers and equipped with emergency buttons. They provide different levels of care. The staff was wonderful. It's a little expensive because of the care that they provide and the support that they give you.

April 15, 2012

By franklins1

The Greatwood facility is very attractive and the staff are helpful. Seniors need the social activities that are available at the assisted living home. The food was the hardest to give high marks. The cooks were replaced often, the meals were often not very tasty and there wasn't a lot of variety. The staff were not allowed to help out the guests in any way other than their assigned jobs. For instance, my mother needed help with laundry, but although the staff wanted to help, they would have been disciplined or fired if they accepted the jobs.In spite of the staffs inability to help the guests as they saw the need and the meals being below par, our family's experience with Greatwood's assisted living facility was a good one. I would without hesitation encourage others to look at assisted living for loved ones needing just a bit of help and social interaction.

Independent Living Reviews for Greatwood at Sugar Land

January 09, 2015

By Irene17

Greatwood was a beautiful place. It was gorgeous, and I really liked it, but I could not afford it. I saw the dining room, the grounds, and everything else there. You have access to the freeway, all the doctors, and there is a nearby hospital which you can see from the facility.

February 24, 2014

By Janet72600350

We were very happy with Greatwood but we couldn't keep my mom there because it was too expensive. It was a wonderful place. They kept up with the occupants. It was very nice and clean. We never went in there with a smell of a nursing home. Someone is always out cleaning things. On one side there's the assisted living and on the other side the independent living. They had a very nice dining facility with 3 meals a day. When my dad was still alive, they were residents because there was still money. They tried to work with me but I just couldn't keep her there. They offered him extra service. My mom was taking care of my dad when he was ill so they weren't able to do a lot of things. My dad supposedly was going to rehab, they would let my mom take the bus to the rehab so she can be with my dad everyday and they would take her home in the evening. I thought that was such a nice gesture. But unfortunately before he got there he passed away. Once that happened, they were extremely kind to my mom. Several people were checking on her and just keeping up with her.

Questions about Greatwood at Sugar Land

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Greatwood at Sugar Land. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Greatwood's population has a fantastic family atmosphere. Everyone looks out for one another and there is always a friend around. The average age is late 70's to early 80s, but we do have our fair share of "young" residents. Residents here love to sing, act, dance, complete puzzles, read and play bingo.

What programs or activities does Greatwood at Sugar Land offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our "Be Inspired" program addresses each aspect of our resident's physical and mental well-being. From daily exercise programs, to group discussions, we do it all.

What places are near Greatwood at Sugar Land or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

The Greatwood neighborhood is known for it's beautiful landscaping and walking paths. We are located next to the Greatwood Golf Course.

What transportation services does Greatwood at Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Our wheelchair friendly bus can transport residents withing 10 miles of the community. It operates Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm.

What makes the chef or dining program at Greatwood at Sugar Land exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Greatwood has all-day restaurant style dining from 8am to 6pm. Residents are able to come at any time during the restaurant's hours and can order off of our "all day" menu, or enjoy our daily specials. We also feature resident recipes on a monthly basis.

What safety features or security measures does Greatwood at Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Our concierge is on site 24 hours a day making regular rounds of the building to ensure the doors are locked at night, and our residents are safe. Residents are issued a "fob" that allows them access to the building after hours. Assisted living residents can enjoy the peace of mind of 24 hour staffing of caregivers and medication aides as well.

How does Greatwood at Sugar Land keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Greatwood sends updates via email to our families.

If Greatwood at Sugar Land accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Pets up to 20lbs are welcome at Greatwood and can enjoy either of our two enclosed courtyards, as well as the beautiful perimeter grounds.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All team members are required to complete monthly training on rotating topics pertaining to senior care. Partner health services companies frequently hold in-service training for our staff.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Greatwood at Sugar Land. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Residents are able to enjoy the plentiful shopping in the Sugar Land area.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Greatwood at Sugar Land has organized?

We've recently taken our residents to the casino in Livingston, the Museum of Natural Science, the Train Museum and many more!

What transportation services does Greatwood at Sugar Land offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Greatwood at Sugar Land exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

All of our residents are welcome to our many seating areas, our outdoor seating areas and gazebo, our variety of activity rooms and our enclosed courtyards.

What safety features or security measures does Greatwood at Sugar Land offer to independent living residents?

Does Greatwood at Sugar Land work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for Greatwood at Sugar Land

• Staff Patient Ratio: 10:1
  • Pets: Yes

• Licenses: 132339

About Greatwood at Sugar Land

Senior assisted living at Greatwood at Sugar Land offers residents the best of both worlds. All benefits of our senior living community are combined with a full spectrum of senior care services to create a premier senior assisted living community. Residents enjoy beautiful surroundings, on-site amenities and social programs alongside continual on-call medical care.

At Greatwood at Sugar Land, we adhere to state-of-the-art standards of senior assisted living while providing a special touch. Our residents receive personal and comprehensive care and are consistently treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. Whether our residents need help with day-to-day activities, getting to appointments, or medication management, our caregivers kindly and competently meet those needs.

Our assisted living community in Sugar Land has been purposefully designed to provide you or your loved one with a nurturing, comfortable, home-like environment that is attractive and easy to navigate. We foster community and family by hosting many activities and events each month. Residents are encouraged to participate in as many pursuits and outings as they like, appropriate to their ability. No matter what, everyone is treated as an individual person with unique needs.

At Greatwood at Sugar Land, our residents live life to its fullest as they age in place.

Assisted Living Amenities

• Dining for Wellness™ - educational and wellness program
  • Brain Health University™
  • Beauty and Barber Shop
  • Housekeeping and maintenance service
  • All utilities and basic cable included
  • Individually controlled heat and central air
  • Fresh, seasonal cuisine prepared by the dining service team

Greatwood at Sugar Land offers independent living in Sugar Land for seniors who are able and inclined to live independently, but crave the comfort, security and social opportunity a retirement community offers.

On-call assistance and maintenance-free living means you never need worry about anything but living life to the fullest! Just steps from your front door, you'll find easy access to a fitness center, media room and a wide assortment of activities, as well as special events and regularly scheduled outings into the community.

If you are looking for a vibrant, active place to call home during your retirement years, Greatwood at Sugar Land will fulfill your desires. Come visit us and see how great senior independent living can be.

Independent Living Amenities

• All utilities included except telephone and cable
  • Housekeeping and maintenance service
  • Guest Suites
  • Individually controlled heat and central air
  • Scheduled transportation to local shopping and medical appointments
  • Safety features including smoke detectors and sprinklers
  • Award winning Wellness Everyday™ programs, provided 7 days a week