160 Assisted Living Facilities in Harris County, TX
The average cost of assisted living in Harris County is $3,554 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Fort Bend County with an average starting cost of $3,398.
To help you with your search, browse the 786 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Harris County. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Harris County 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fort Bend County with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 98 families in Harris County find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Harris County, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city:
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Harris County
Harris County which is home to the world-famous Houston Zoo offers plenty of options for seniors seeking assisted living. The region boasts 152 assisted living facilities to support the senior population which is comprised of roughly 13 percent of the total population of 4,500,000 people. Assisted living facilities in this county, as well as in all of Texas, are licensed through the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. Facilities are divided into two categories, which are based on the ambulatory needs of residents: Type A facilities are for residents who can evacuate independently in the event of an emergency, while Type B facilities are for those who need assistance evacuating.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Harris County
- Harris County seniors can expect hot summers with highs in the low 90s which may be uncomfortable for those who are sensitive to heat. However, the mild winters make it easy for active older adults to enjoy year-round outdoor activities.
- Seniors on a budget will appreciate Harris County’s low cost of living which is about 8 percent below the national average. In most cities in this county, seniors can expect to spend roughly 16 percent less on groceries as well as about 3 percent less on health-care and transportation expenses.
- Harris County ranks higher in both violent crime and property crime than other counties in the nation. While assisted living facilities generally have security systems to keep residents safe, seniors may want to practice caution when they’re out and about.
- The combined sales tax rate in Harris County is 7.25 percent, though the actual rate may be higher depending on which city a senior lives in. However, Texas does not charge income tax on Social Security or retirement income which may leave more money in the bank for assisted living.
- The Harris County area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Texas Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Harris County has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Fun4Seniors, an organization that provides social, recreational and educational opportunities for the county's older adults, as well as 13 senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Harris County
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Harris County start around $3,546 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Harris County and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Harris County
In Harris County, seniors who are eligible for Medicaid can receive financial assistance for assisted living through STAR+PLUS, Texas's Medicaid waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Harris County
Harris County and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Harris County, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Harris County
Harris County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Harris County, TX
Assisted Living near Harris County, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Harris County
Review of Brookdale The Heights
My Mom researched and chose this place. The place is run down, very slow to do needed repairs in room. Care was inconsistent. Sometimes good but when bad, really bad. Note that this place is ri... Read more
Review of Brookdale Cypress Station
The people who accommodated me at Brookdale Cypress Station were very prompt and the staff was very professional and kind. I have no complaints at all. The place was clean and the residents seemed ... Read more
Review of Atria Westchase
Atria Westchase was a wonderful property visually. The staff was friendly, and all the residents looked happy. There were a lot of activities for them to engage in. They gave me an apple pie as tha... Read more