59 Assisted Living Facilities near Richmond, TX
There are 59 Assisted Living Facilities in the Richmond area, with 12 in Richmond and 47 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Richmond is $3,214 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 284 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Richmond. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Richmond 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Rosenberg with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Richmond, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Richmond, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Richmond
Richmond is a suburb of Houston, Texas, located along the Gulf of Mexico at the southeastern part of the state. Seniors who enjoy the outdoors can enjoy the scenic views from the walking trails along the Brazos River, while those who like a slower pace of life will feel welcomed by the small-town ambiance. The population of Richmond is just 12,000, with nearly 15 percent being seniors over 65. There are 62 assisted living facilities in Richmond.
Assisted living facilities in Richmond, as in the rest of Texas, are licensed and regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services. There are two levels of assisted living: Type A facilities house residents able to evacuate on their own in an emergency, while Type B facilities serve residents who need overnight care and need staff direction in case of an evacuation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Richmond
- Gulf Coast weather is hot and humid, with risks of hurricanes in the fall. Summers are long and hot and winters are mild with no snow. Seniors sensitive to high heat may be uncomfortable, but those with respiratory conditions alleviated by warmer temperatures should find relief.
- The cost of living in Richmond is 119 compared to a U.S. average of 100. Grocery costs and healthcare are slightly lower than the average. Housing costs in Richmond are nearly one and a half times the U.S. average, which may affect the cost of assisted living for some seniors.
- Violent crime rates in Richmond are slightly higher than the national average, while property crimes such as car break-ins and petty theft are about two-thirds less than the average across the U.S. Seniors may enjoy the small town feel of Richmond but are advised to take precautions, especially if traveling into Houston.
- Texas has no state income tax, meaning that retirement income and Social Security benefits are not subject to taxation. Seniors on a budget may have more disposable income for assisted living needs. However, other tax rates, specifically property taxes and sales tax, are among the highest in the nation.
- Richmond is home to world-class medical facilities, including OakBend Medical Center and Memorial Hermann, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Richmond, as a suburb of Houston, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Richmond
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Richmond start around $3,214 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Richmond and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Richmond
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services facilitates Medicaid Waivers for assisted living, offering partial financing for those who qualify. Seniors who receive Medicare or Medicaid, or who are entitled to SSI income, may be eligible for the STAR+PLUS program. It serves specific areas of the state, providing an alternative to nursing facility placement and covering the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Richmond
Richmond and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Richmond, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Richmond
Richmond-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Richmond, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Richmond
Review of Osa Heritage Homes - Richmond
My mother moved into Osa Heritage Homes - Richmond. I like the amount of care that she would be getting. I like the caring attitude of the employees there. The owner was very helpful. It's just a w... Read more
Review of Agape Heritage Home
I had a good experience with Agape Heritage Home. I liked the cleanliness, they were very friendly, and they had a lot of activities, but my mother would not be able to participate in their activit... Read more
Review of The Delaney at Parkway Lakes
Delaney Parkway was a beautiful place; it just was gorgeous. Tracey -- I think she's the manager over there -- she was just delightful. She was absolutely exceptional, she was professional about ev... Read more