12 Assisted Living Facilities near Brookshire, TX
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brookshire area, with 2 in Brookshire and 10 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 56 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brookshire. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brookshire 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Missouri City with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brookshire, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Brookshire, TX
10 Assisted Living Facilities near Brookshire, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brookshire
Brookshire is a small suburb of Houston, part of the greater Houston metro area. The town, formerly known as Kellner, has a history rich in agriculture, and more recently, natural gas production. The population of Brookshire is 5,000, 10% of whom are aged 65 and older. To support those in this age group who require help with the tasks of daily living, Brookshire has two assisted living facilities, with eight more in nearby communities.
The Texas Department of Health and Senior Services licenses and regulates assisted living facilities. Care homes are divided into two tiers, based on the level of care that the residents require. Assisted living communities are considered Class A, where the residents don't require around the clock supervision.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brookshire
Brookshire weather means long, hot summers and mild, snow-free winters. Although the nearby Gulf of Mexico often provides cool breezes, seniors sensitive to high temperatures may be uncomfortable here.
- The cost of living in Brookshire is slightly lower than the national average, 94 compared to the baseline of 100. At 66, housing costs are some of the lowest in the Houston metro area. The lower cost of housing may translate into lower fees for residents in assisted living, as the facilities may have lower operating costs.
- Seniors in Brookshire may be eligible for reduced fares on the METRO public bus and light rail system, operating in the greater Houston area.
- Crime rates in the US are rated on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest. Brookshire crime rates are lower than the national average, with violent crimes at 21 compared to 23 and property crimes at 24 compared to 35. Seniors are still advised to use caution when traveling into Houston proper.
- The Brookshire area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Hermann in Katy, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Brookshire, as part of the greater Houston area, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brookshire
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Brookshire start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brookshire and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brookshire
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services offers a STAR+PLUS program, similar to a Medicaid waiver, that helps offset the costs of assisted living for Brookshire seniors. It's not available in all areas of the state, however, and has an enrollment cap.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brookshire
Brookshire and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brookshire, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brookshire
Brookshire-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brookshire
Review of Ms G's Personal Care Home
Ms. G’s price was a little more decent. The personnel seemed to be very accessible; they try to accommodate any questions I have and gave me attention when I come in there. It was a good place, but... Read more
Review of Brookwood Community
Brookwood is a state of the art facility located in the countryside on a massive plot of land where residents live full time. The staff are highly trained and professional. The facility is supporte... Read more