Brookdale Sugar Land

151 Commerce Green Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77478
Brookdale Sugar Land (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 2 days

Independent and Assisted Living new residents receive $500 off the 1st full month and 4th full month free Base Rent. Must take financial possession by 2/28/2021. Ask for details when you tour.

Reviews of Brookdale Sugar Land

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Sugar Land

August 21, 2017

By Bart

My visit at Brookdale Sugar Land was very good. The rooms were very spacious. They didn’t have a garage, but they had covered parking. The one thing I didn’t like was that I have a cat and it would have to be kept inside. The dining area was very nice. We had an OK hamburger. The one- and two-bedrooms come in different but spacious sizes with walk-in closests. This is the one we would probably go to due to their location.

June 18, 2017

By Vicki Ireland

Brookdale Sugar Land is a little jewel nestled in the original Sugar Land settlement. The Executive Director runs a tight ship and the staff are very caring people.

March 04, 2017

By Cuc

Brookdale Sugar Land seemed like a really good community. They seemed really professional.

November 03, 2016

By Kathy783861

Brookdale Sugar Land had a lot of older people, and they seemed to be in worse shape than my mother-in-law. They were in wheelchairs kind of sitting and leaning. My mother-in-law needed assisted living, but she didn’t need that kind of living. However, it was a very clean place. It was very nice, and the people were great. The food looked good. I knew they had a bus that took place where they wanted to go. They would take you to doctor’s visits. I knew they had a doctor that came in. However, these people seemed to be a lot more intense care than my mother-in-law.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your visit. We'll pass your feedback along to our management team.

March 27, 2016

By Smita

I wasn’t very impressed with Brookdale Sugar Land. The people seemed a bit isolated, but it could have been the time of day I visited. The staff was very friendly. Everything was a bit older, not run down but just older and didn’t feel fresh or new. It was clean. They did mention that they were going to renovate. When I visited, they were playing bingo. It was OK. Nothing really stood out to me. It wasn’t my top choice.

November 30, 2015

By Larry116682350

Brookdale Sugarland has the lowest rates. I like them. The people were all attentive, helpful, and I thought they appeared to provide all the services that the residents needed. The place was clean. It’s an older place but comfortable. All the people that I visited there seem to be really happy. I spoke with people that had several years of experience with them, and they had nothing but good things to say about the care that their loved ones received. It is by far the most reasonably priced one. That’s the main reason I decided to go with them because they really offered a reasonable price that I can afford.

September 30, 2015

I liked Brookdale; I liked the people that I talked to and the people that I met that took me all around the hall. I met the cook, nurse, and the staff, and I was very comfortable with them. I talked to a few of the people that lived there, and they seemed to be happy. The rooms were very clean, roomy, and well-kept. They had facilities for people to be together. The food and the dining facility were adequate.

September 30, 2015

My mom is in Brookdale and everything is good so far and fine. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. My mom’s room is a basic room, and it has bathroom. The food is very good.

May 22, 2015

We chose Brookdale Sugar Land because it was closer to where I live. The staff were friendly and helpful. The place was very clean, and they have lots of different things going on. Their dining area is very nice .

April 07, 2015

By Laurie33

I visited Brookdale. The staff was very good. The rooms were very nice. It was very homey and very spacious. It was a very nice community.

January 05, 2015

Emeritus was an older facility with very nice people. The lady seemed very nice and very willing to work around my parent's pets. They were the ones most willing to work with my mother's sling and her disabilities. My mother requires a sling to get out of bed. Some other facilities do not allow the use of the sling in the assisted living. If my mother didn't have any problems, Emeritus probably would be the place we would have brought her. My mother started having seizures, and they found a brain tumor, so we need to work on that before we could do anything.

October 16, 2014

By Wayne12

My mother is in the memory care unit in Emeritus. Everything so far is good. I have nothing but good things to say. It is a nice facility and it has a homey feel. It is very well kept and very well run. It is also close to where I am. They keep everybody busy. Everybody is friendly, and they know each other. The security is very good. I like that all the people that work there seem to care about the residents and they know all of them. They are doing a really good job from what I see, and I go there three or four times a week. I have no complaints at all. It is a locked down facility. You have to punch a buzzer for you to be let in and let out. They have a keypad so not just anybody can just go in or go out. I will most definitely recommend them.

August 15, 2014

Mom was able to spend a week at Emeritus at Sugar Land and she really, really liked the facility. We liked how small it was and how the people were super friendly and nice, but in the end she just doesn’t really need that level of care yet. The staff seemed to really know their residents and care about them. If she would stay in a place, this is probably where she would stay. The rooms were a little bit older, but they were nice and big. We were able to eat there and it was fine.

January 31, 2014

For a period of time, I had my wife in Emeritus. I have come across them because I have known some people that had been there. The caregivers did a very good job. I didn't eat there but the food smelled wonderful. The facility was very clean and very nicely run; however, I had to move my wife out of there because the hospital recommended nursing care for her which they did not offer. We had a little hassle over at the billing after she had left that facility because I hadn't given them 30-day notice and that sort of thing. However, we finally got it resolved. As far as the facility itself, their caregivers, and the condition of the facility, it was excellent.

January 09, 2014

By houston773

Though this community is older, our main focus when looking was for the care. The caregivers in this community treat the residents as they are their own relatives. The staff is always friendly and the management is very approachable and supportive. I would rather have wonderful care than a brand new facility with nice furnishings.

December 17, 2013

By Disappointed son1

My father, a WW2 veteran, 88 yrs. of age with dementia was in Emeritus at Sugar Land when he received injuries requiring ER attention. He received a concussion and inch long laceration under his right eye. He had eloped from the memory care unit at 1:30 AM on June 30, 2013. While being escorted back to the memory care unit he was startled by the pages the staff members received. He hurriedly went forward toward the steel door entrance to memory care. The staff members say they could not stop my father from slamming into the door. I suppose the protocol for emergencies is to call the family member to come get the resident and take him to the ER. This is what happened. I was called and instructed to come get my father and take him to the ER. I questioned why I was being called, if my father needed emergency care, why had they not called 911. I was placed on hold for a minute or two and was told , when they returned , that they needed my permission. I gave it and joined my father at the Hospital ER. DADS (Dept. of Aging and Disability Service) has substantiated the allegation of neglect. I was unable to speak to both of the staff members who escorted my father to memory care. My father was billed for the medical services he received. Emeritus refuses to pay for the full amount. They offered to pay half if I signed a waiver releasing them of responsibility. I did not accept. How shameful for a company to behave in this manner. I placed my father there with the expectation of care and safety. They have broken that trust. I moved my father. Where are their ethics, honor and integrity? This happened on there watch and are responsible.

November 15, 2013

By dfoltx

MY RATING IS ZERO STARS. This place is all about the money. They took my mother into memory care and charged us 1 1/12 months in advance. She was there for a total of 8 days. They drugged her heavily initially, and we were encouraged not to visit for the "transition". By day 6, she choked on her food and had a seizure. They did not seek medical attention for this. Day 8 when we moved her out to a hospital (followed by hospice) she could no longer speak or walk and her eyes were rolled back in her head. Even though she left because they were not able to provide care for her as she required skilled nursing, they insisted on 30 days written notice for a refund of the prepayment. She passed away 16 days after she left the facility - this would have probably happened sooner but they inisted on sending her to hospital instead of hospice to extend her life and collect more money. Please do not put your loved ones here. They talk a good game but are money grabbers. The one day I visited my mother there, they just put her tray of food in front of her. Since they had assessed her, it seems like they would have known she was not capable of feeding herself. Her room was very isolated in a back corner, and I fear they just left her alone laying there too often with no one checking on her. I also think the idea that they do not refund prepayments when you die is unbelievable.

August 27, 2013

By Caring ESL

Emeritus at Sugar Land is not able to give me as much care as I need. They are not really able to take care of me properly. I have to hire my own help to get me up in the morning, for example. The staff at this facility will transfer me out of bed grudgingly because they really don't want to and then they'll leave. They don't help me brush my teeth, get me dressed, or help me take a shower. They don't help me to get fully prepared for the day. So I hired somebody to apparently stay with me and get me ready for the day. I think the staff members at Emeritus are supposed to help me a lot more than they do. If you call for somebody to help you, they might take over an hour to even come to you, if they even come, sometimes they don't come at all. So I'm not okay with this place at all. The whole facility needs to be upgraded. It is a very old facility and it hadn't been updated. I can't take a shower in my bathroom because it is not accessible. I'm in a powerchair and I can't get my knees under the sink. My shower chair cannot fit in the shower room.

December 28, 2012

By Pete 1

I like the staff and the executive director at Emeritus. My mother is in their memory care unit. She shares her room with another resident. When she was moved there, I didn't think some of the memory care staff were as skilled as they should have been. But it looks like they made some changes. They do everything. They monitor, they provide food, and they engage them in activities. They also have community activities, daily games, Christmas party, crafts, and even church service on Sundays.

December 16, 2012

By Mary26

Emeritus provide appropriate food for different types of needs, like a diabetic meal. They have big double-occupancy rooms for husband and wife or mother and daughter. They would have a courtyard, a book room or even a beauty shop. They are willing to try a sliding scale because I didn't have all that money. Although the facility is a little older, it's still in a good neighborhood. They still send me the newsletter every month. I also have an aunt that stays in Emeritus and she really love it there.

November 20, 2012

By bachmann

While helping a friend find assisted living for her grandfather, she wanted to tour a few facilities. I went with her to view the Emeritus facility. The first thing that stood out about Emeritus was the cleanliness of the rooms and recreational areas. The staff was extremely friendly, and they made you feel comfortable and safe. We did not encounter many residents at the time we visited, but the people we did meet seemed to be well taken care of and content with their surroundings. As with most facilities do, the staff treated the residents well while in our presence, but you get the impression that it isn't an act, and that they do truly care about their residents. The staff at this assisted living location were young to middle aged, and they were attentive to the residents. The rooms at this facility were meticulously clean, and they smelled like fresh flowers/air fresheners rather than the clinical, hospital smell that many assisted-living facilities smell like. All in all, this facility satisfied our concerns and though it was somewhat upscale, we feel as though it would definitely be worth considering.

June 03, 2012

By commercesd

We went to visit the Emeritus at Sugar Land assisted living facility since we happened to be in the vicinity looking at other places to consider for my brother's friend. The grounds looked well tended and maintained, with plenty of nice trees and shrubs. The residents here seemed to enjoy a nice level of freedom, though there was plenty of assistance when necessary. The rooms were all nicely decorated and the furnished community rooms were easy access. Residents may watch movies, use the computer, read, engage in arts and crafts, play games and gather for their many social events and parties. There were plenty of nice areas for quiet time as well as socializing with other residents and friends, family and other visitors. The dining rooms include both casual and formal options. Their menus offer a variety of healthy food options. The food we saw looked nutritious, delicious and smelled really good, too. The snacks also looked interesting and healthy with a nice mix of nutritious options. We also liked that they encourage drinking plenty of fluids for healthy hydration each day. The private areas were nicely decorated and personalized for the residents and it was clear that they enjoy their surroundings a great deal. The facility is pet friendly and one of the nicer features is the aviary. They also have many private courtyards and walkways, complete with patios, a garden and a gazebo. Residents may enjoy tending the garden where they grow their own fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers. The residents are encouraged to enjoy physical activity as much as possible. They may take exercise classes such as yoga and aerobics, or use the weight training and other equipment. They may also enjoy the outer walk ways around the building and courtyard. The facility is close to the metro area where residents may enjoy all of the local events, art, culture, music, shopping and fine and casual dining offered. We could really see that the residents are treated with care, kindness and respect so that they are very well cared for at all times, with plenty of freedom to enjoy their surroundings.

October 19, 2011

By wally2

The main thing that I like about this place is that the people living there have freedom. As soon as you walk in you see them outside on the porch or in the garden. Of course the nurse is there watching them, they seem really nice they played along with them. It smells good in there, I see people cleaning as I'm walking down the hall. The lobby seems and feels comfy with plants and sofas and a piano. The rooms are a pretty acceptable size with nice decor and for some room drawers. The cafeteria could use some work on decorating. There's an activity room where they can do arts and crafts which I like. There's also a prayer room. It's pretty quiet don't hear anything. It's a pretty reasonable price and if you're having a hard time paying they will work with you on your own payment plan.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Sugar Land

Questions about Brookdale Sugar Land

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Ongoing training for staff – all associates are assigned one or more computer based training each month in addition to the training provided by their department head.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Sugar Land. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents range in age from the late 60s to an amazing 105. Out residents enjoy exercising, playing games, bingo and happy hour and crafts.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Programs to enrich residents’ well-being – We have a full programming schedule daily. Enrichments programs include Be Fit exercises, Brain fitness games, weekly drives, trips to bookstores and other cultural venues,

What places are near Brookdale Sugar Land or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Places near the community or walking distance to community – we are a short drive to the historic Sugar Land Sugar Mill and its museum, wonderful restaurants, Constellation Field – home of the Sugar Land Skeeters baseball team, Sugar Land Town Center and First Colony Mall.

What transportation services does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation services – Monday, Wednesday & Friday – MD appointments within a 10 mile radius; Tuesdays – Walmart, Thursdays – out and about trip.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Sugar Land exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef is from Louisiana and he makes a fabulous gumbo. We service restaurant style with menus from which the residents make their choices.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Safety features – Brookdale Sugar Land is in a 1-story building. All Assisted Living resident are provides a call button they can use to call the nursing staff. The bathrooms are accessible and have well placed grab bars.

How does Brookdale Sugar Land keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We have an open door policy, Our management team is available for any question or concern. We have an active Facebook page where we post photographs of our events. The management staff contacts families about concerns or celebrations.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Sugar Land during daytime and nighttime hours?

Staffing ratios – we use a program that sets the staffing based on the number of residents and our residents needs not just on the number of residents.

If Brookdale Sugar Land accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Pets – pets are welcomed and we have an enclosed courtyard where they can play.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Sugar Land provide to protect residents who wander?

Safety features for residents who wander – Residents who might wander are kept safe in our Alzheimer’s and Dementia care community through staff intervention, activities and a secured environment.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

What techniques does Brookdale Sugar Land use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Dementia Care ongoing training – our associate who work in our Alzheimer’s and Dementia care community receive monthly training specifically for residents with dementia in addition to the monthly computer based training give to all associates.

How does Brookdale Sugar Land keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Keeping loved ones families informed on health care – our nurses communicate with our families on an ongoing basis and are available 24 hours a day to answer questions. We also have a care conference every 6 month where needs.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Sugar Land. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located a half a block off of Highway 99. We have office/retail on three sides and a neighborhood fourth side. We are only a few miles from Sugar Land Town Center and First Colony Mall.

Is Brookdale Sugar Land affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Affiliated with a hospital – our residents have several excellent hospitals to choose in the Sugar Land area – St. Lukes, Houston Methodist Sugar Land and Memorial Hermann Sugar Land. We are also a short 30-minute drive to the world renowned Texas Medical Center.

Photos of Brookdale Sugar Land

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Sugar Land

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

About Brookdale Sugar Land

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Sugar Land