Brookdale Sugar Land

Reviews of Brookdale Sugar Land

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Sugar Land

August 02, 2019

By Dawn

I liked Brookdale Sugar very much, and I felt welcomed. The person who actually welcomed me was the maintenance man, which I thought was really nice. We met with the director, which was really good. The facilities were a little bit older, but it was kept clean and tidy. It was a different type of senior community because it didn't have independent living and was much smaller compared to others I have seen. They talked about the activities they have available although I didn't see the interaction at that time. The dining area was very wide and open. They had just remodelled it and it looked very nice. The staff who gave me the tour tried her very best. I would rate the layout of the facility itself a 4 because it's older and was not wide, open, and airy. It felt more closed. I think that place goes back to the '80s and '90s so they might think about updating.

June 24, 2018

By Tara

We didn't like Brookdale Sugar Land at all. It just didn't seem like home to me. The ambiance wasn't something that I would be comfortable with for my grandmother. The person who gave us the tour was kind, but not as organized as the person who gave us the tour. I went over the pricing, but it was equally priced when compared to another community that was better than this one. It's not dirty, but I wouldn't say that it's really clean either. We walked through the cafeteria. We didn't get to taste the food, but it didn't look appetizing to me regardless.

We are sorry to hear your tour of Brookdale Sugar Land did not meet your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and providing feedback. Our staff is committed to providing the highest-quality service and care and we will share your feedback with our management team.

November 20, 2017

By Grateful for care

My mother (87 years old) and has not been in good health for years. She has been at Brookdale Sugar Land for 1-year now. She is in a private room - small, but has everything she needs. She has been on Hospice care for 7-months, but they are not responsible for her day-to-day care, which she receives from the incredibly caring staff at Brookdale. She was previously at another assisted living facility, but they could not provide the additional care Mom requires (she is a fall-risk), so when I found Brookdale Sugar Land, I immediately had a good feeling about the facility, the amenities and especially the staff. We have the peace of mind knowing Mom is being well cared for. They have monthly family dinners and with the 'open door' policy - you can come and visit your family member (and dine with them) whenever. It is very clean - doesn't look like many other facilities, which look more like a 'hospital/nursing home'. There is a central dining room and residents order off a menu. There is also a Doctor on staff & RNs to assist. They will take residents to ballgames, sight see, out to lunch and help them feel they are not 'trapped'. We cannot recommend any place more than our family does Brookdale Sugar Land.

August 21, 2017

By Bart

My visit at Brookdale Sugar Land was very good. The rooms were very spacious. They didn’t have a garage, but they had covered parking. The one thing I didn’t like was that I have a cat and it would have to be kept inside. The dining area was very nice. We had an OK hamburger. The one- and two-bedrooms come in different but spacious sizes with walk-in closests. This is the one we would probably go to due to their location.

June 18, 2017

By Vicki Ireland

Brookdale Sugar Land is a little jewel nestled in the original Sugar Land settlement. The Executive Director runs a tight ship and the staff are very caring people.

March 04, 2017

By Cuc

Brookdale Sugar Land seemed like a really good community. They seemed really professional.

November 03, 2016

By Kathy783861

Brookdale Sugar Land had a lot of older people, and they seemed to be in worse shape than my mother-in-law. They were in wheelchairs kind of sitting and leaning. My mother-in-law needed assisted living, but she didn’t need that kind of living. However, it was a very clean place. It was very nice, and the people were great. The food looked good. I knew they had a bus that took place where they wanted to go. They would take you to doctor’s visits. I knew they had a doctor that came in. However, these people seemed to be a lot more intense care than my mother-in-law.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your visit. We'll pass your feedback along to our management team.

March 27, 2016

By Smita

I wasn’t very impressed with Brookdale Sugar Land. The people seemed a bit isolated, but it could have been the time of day I visited. The staff was very friendly. Everything was a bit older, not run down but just older and didn’t feel fresh or new. It was clean. They did mention that they were going to renovate. When I visited, they were playing bingo. It was OK. Nothing really stood out to me. It wasn’t my top choice.

November 30, 2015

By Larry116682350

Brookdale Sugarland has the lowest rates. I like them. The people were all attentive, helpful, and I thought they appeared to provide all the services that the residents needed. The place was clean. It’s an older place but comfortable. All the people that I visited there seem to be really happy. I spoke with people that had several years of experience with them, and they had nothing but good things to say about the care that their loved ones received. It is by far the most reasonably priced one. That’s the main reason I decided to go with them because they really offered a reasonable price that I can afford.

September 30, 2015

I liked Brookdale; I liked the people that I talked to and the people that I met that took me all around the hall. I met the cook, nurse, and the staff, and I was very comfortable with them. I talked to a few of the people that lived there, and they seemed to be happy. The rooms were very clean, roomy, and well-kept. They had facilities for people to be together. The food and the dining facility were adequate.

September 30, 2015

My mom is in Brookdale and everything is good so far and fine. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. My mom’s room is a basic room, and it has bathroom. The food is very good.

May 22, 2015

We chose Brookdale Sugar Land because it was closer to where I live. The staff were friendly and helpful. The place was very clean, and they have lots of different things going on. Their dining area is very nice .

April 07, 2015

By Laurie33

I visited Brookdale. The staff was very good. The rooms were very nice. It was very homey and very spacious. It was a very nice community.

August 15, 2014

Mom was able to spend a week here and she really, really liked the facility. We liked how small it was and how the people were super friendly and nice, but in the end she just doesn’t really need that level of care yet. The staff seemed to really know their residents and care about them. If she would stay in a place, this is probably where she would stay. The rooms were a little bit older, but they were nice and big. We were able to eat there and it was fine.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Sugar Land

Questions about Brookdale Sugar Land

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Ongoing training for staff – all associates are assigned one or more computer based training each month in addition to the training provided by their department head.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Sugar Land. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents range in age from the late 60s to an amazing 105. Out residents enjoy exercising, playing games, bingo and happy hour and crafts.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Programs to enrich residents’ well-being – We have a full programming schedule daily. Enrichments programs include Be Fit exercises, Brain fitness games, weekly drives, trips to bookstores and other cultural venues,

What places are near Brookdale Sugar Land or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Places near the community or walking distance to community – we are a short drive to the historic Sugar Land Sugar Mill and its museum, wonderful restaurants, Constellation Field – home of the Sugar Land Skeeters baseball team, Sugar Land Town Center and First Colony Mall.

What transportation services does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation services – Monday, Wednesday & Friday – MD appointments within a 10 mile radius; Tuesdays – Walmart, Thursdays – out and about trip.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Sugar Land exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef is from Louisiana and he makes a fabulous gumbo. We service restaurant style with menus from which the residents make their choices.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to assisted living residents?

Safety features – Brookdale Sugar Land is in a 1-story building. All Assisted Living resident are provides a call button they can use to call the nursing staff. The bathrooms are accessible and have well placed grab bars.

How does Brookdale Sugar Land keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We have an open door policy, Our management team is available for any question or concern. We have an active Facebook page where we post photographs of our events. The management staff contacts families about concerns or celebrations.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Sugar Land during daytime and nighttime hours?

Staffing ratios – we use a program that sets the staffing based on the number of residents and our residents needs not just on the number of residents.

If Brookdale Sugar Land accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Pets – pets are welcomed and we have an enclosed courtyard where they can play.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Sugar Land provide to protect residents who wander?

Safety features for residents who wander – Residents who might wander are kept safe in our Alzheimer’s and Dementia care community through staff intervention, activities and a secured environment.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Sugar Land offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

What techniques does Brookdale Sugar Land use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Dementia Care ongoing training – our associate who work in our Alzheimer’s and Dementia care community receive monthly training specifically for residents with dementia in addition to the monthly computer based training give to all associates.

How does Brookdale Sugar Land keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Keeping loved ones families informed on health care – our nurses communicate with our families on an ongoing basis and are available 24 hours a day to answer questions. We also have a care conference every 6 month where needs.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Sugar Land. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located a half a block off of Highway 99. We have office/retail on three sides and a neighborhood fourth side. We are only a few miles from Sugar Land Town Center and First Colony Mall.

Is Brookdale Sugar Land affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Affiliated with a hospital – our residents have several excellent hospitals to choose in the Sugar Land area – St. Lukes, Houston Methodist Sugar Land and Memorial Hermann Sugar Land. We are also a short 30-minute drive to the world renowned Texas Medical Center.

Photos of Brookdale Sugar Land

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Sugar Land

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

About Brookdale Sugar Land

Brookdale Sugar Land is a senior housing facility that offers a homelike setting and cheerful smiles from their professional staff who greet you every day. Their caring staff offers the assistance residents need while respecting their independence. Its peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment everyday. The genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to the residents' experience. Through special events, activities, clubs and ongoing cultural enrichment programs Brookdale offers unlimited opportunities for residents to get to know each other and the staff.

Map of Brookdale Sugar Land