The Kensington

Reviews of The Kensington

Assisted Living Reviews for The Kensington

June 30, 2014

By Joy10

I really liked The Kensington very much, but that was too much money, and the family's budget is very small. I thought it would be very suitable for my husband, and I am sorry that we didn't have enough money to do that. It was friendly; the staff was welcoming and very helpful during our visit. We enjoyed a delicious meal there. I could see that the service was good and that they had a variety of food. There were many factors that appealed to me -- beautiful grounds, outdoor living possible so people who want to be outside can, very comfortably. Their memory care unit seemed to offer a variety of activities for mental stimulation. They had various kinds of games and pictures that they were looking at and giving information about and talking about their own; those who could and wanted to could share their own personal experiences. Walking, talking in small groups, playing other board games, preparing foods, just a variety of activities. They offer a variety of choices; the residents can make choices as to their food rather than just being served something. They get someone who can answer your question exactly, if the person you are talking to is not qualified. They were very forthcoming and glad to help and they did; they got another person who was in charge of that. The ratio of staff to personnel was good; it was adequate, and all the staff was very friendly and warm, and I could understand their language. They have other activities scheduled all throughout the day, so people can participate in many different ways. I like that, and I like generally the atmosphere. It was a friendly and happy place. I would have put my husband there if I was able to afford it.

May 20, 2014

My aunt was at The Kensington a little over two years. It's a very good facility. They had a good staff, and they took very good care of her. They had a courtyard, which was very pleasant and beautiful yet still enclosed within their buildings. My aunt found a boyfriend while she was there. They had excellent food, and they also had an excellent chef.

April 29, 2014

By Marlene19

We loved Vintage Senior Living. It was an older facility, but it was very nicely appointed. It was very warm from the minute you walked in. Everyone was very friendly. The dining area had just been remodeled, and it was very nice. We had lunch there, and the food was great. They had crab night once a week, which was really out of the ordinary. I liked that it was very oriented to the people who lived there. They had wonderful amenities and great activities.

April 29, 2014

My mom was at Vintage Senior Living. She was in the independent living. At the time, my dad was living also, and they’d used several different facilities, and that was the one that they liked the best. Also, it was conveniently located in relation to where my sister works and lives. We thought it was very nice; it was very homey. The staff was very cordial, and they offered a variety of activities. They had bingo, exercise, movie nights. They had an on-site beauty salon. They had a game room with pool table. They had a library where people would play cards and do puzzles. When my mom first moved, the food was good, but it was bought out by a company, and the quality of the food went down. There were a lot of complaints by the residents about the food. The apartment had a 1-bedroom, which was large enough to accommodate the king-sized bed. The bathroom was located in the bedroom. There was a small kitchen area with a full-sized refrigerator and a pantry, and then there was a living room area.

January 30, 2014

The Kensington is a fairly large community. It was pretty well priced but they have a waiting list. You're paying for all the amenities so you really need someone who's going to use those amenities to make it cost effective. If you're not going to have someone that's social, you're paying for a lot of amenities that they're never going to use like living in a country club but you don't golf or play tennis. They were remodeling at the time and they had just had a big luncheon so the day that I went, they were kind of not their normal but it was large and for that, it was great for a social person. There were plenty of people to connect with. They had everything, games, movie nights, ice cream socials, a library.

September 26, 2013

The Kensington is a lovely place and it's the newest from all the other facilities I've visited. It was a very nice place. I didn't see too much staff, but from what I saw the staff were good. One lady showed me the activity room, the gym, the game room, and they were all very nice. I would say the place is pricey.

August 08, 2013

By Skymsr

This is the nicest facility of the three we have visited in our search for a two-bedroom unit within a community offering independent and assisted living and memory care. The building is very nice, the grounds are lovely, the staff appears to be dedicated and competent, and the activity schedule offers something for everyone. The residents we met while on our tour all appeared to be happy here.

July 24, 2013

By Caring 6350

My experience during my visit at The Kensington with what I have seen was very good. Everything was nice. It was a beautiful facility. They have excellent food. However, their dining room was pretty formal. People have to dress up to go to the dining room and that was a little intimidating for my mother. Also this facility was too expensive for us.

July 24, 2013

By Christopher2

The Kensington seemed like a pretty nice place. It's very clean, it smelled good, and the landscaping was very nice. The management and their worker seemed to be pretty nice, too. But it's not cheap. My friend's room was okay. It wasn't cramped and he had a little kitchen. They have a little theater room where they could go down and watch movies. They also have a very nice lobby with a grand piano, and they would have a piano player come in 1 or 2 hours a day. And sometimes they'd have a little group come in and they have a concert. They had a library and an exercise room as well.

May 31, 2013

By Martha9

Vintage Senior Living was very nice. It seemed like the people and their services were very integrated. It was very pleasant. The staff was helpful and personable. They sat down with us and tried to do a breakdown of the cost, which was difficult for my sister because if she was inside, she would need to have a caregiver with her there. So, we were going to work out some more details and right now, things are kind of on hold. But, yes, I was very, very impressed. They sat us down, gave us lunch, we talked, and it was just very impressive. They have a supreme chef who will be able to accommodate my sister's special needs because she's a diabetic, and he could do this for her on a daily basis. The rooms are all nice and I would prefer my sister to be on the first level because she'd have a patio.

October 24, 2012

By pickledkid

My grandmother has had severe dementia, which progressed to stage 4 Alzheimer's.In the last 5 years, our family was unable to give her the total support and medical attention she deserved/needed. When we took her to Vintage Senior Living, we felt completely supported in a very emotionally traumatizing time. Their staff is incredibly well trained, constantly checking in on her and being transparent with our family, whom visit every week. The program and activities look very engaging, and when my grandmother was more cognitive, she enjoyed exercising with the groups there and taking dance lessons. The facility itself is very big and the outdoor area is beautiful, as it is facing the hills on the East Side of the Bay. The food is great, tasting restaurant quality and open to all residents, as well as visitors. My grandmother is always smelling fresh, well groomed, and any open wound/rash is taken care of right away, due to their beauty salon and medical staff. Overall, Vintage Senior Living is a fantastic facility that I feel safe and secure that my grandmother stays there.

September 27, 2012

This is a great facility hands down! They specialize in Dementia Care and have people trained who seem to really care about seniors with memory challenges - a challenge for family & friends of loved ones. I LOVE the mesh of activities they have available promoting seniors to continually be social & physical! I was pretty impressed. It's a unique place w a special focus on keeping seniors healthy, busy & active - doing the normal everyday things so the transition isn't such a challenge.

January 27, 2012

By exTex

The Kensington is full of light and it's lovely without being pretentious. Every room looks out into a garden, and many rooms have their own patios, which residents have filled with plants and bird feeders.The place has no unpleasant smells despite the large number of elderly residents. The activities chart is always filled with things to do, and the variety of events is heartening. The dining area is large and welcoming, and the food is excellent. The chef is especially good at cooking fish; it is never dry or crusty. A bar serves alcoholic drinks to those who can still partake.A beauty and barber shop keep the residents looking good, and there are exercise classes every day. The staff is very kind and responsive. They address most of the residents by name. Even the janitors are very polite and engaged.The rooms are fairly large and allow for privacy when procedures must be done while guests are visiting. They have individual thermostats and residents can keep their rooms as warm as they like.

January 06, 2012

By wcresident435

My grandmother previously lived here for a short time a few years ago and I went to visit her with my family when I was younger. Upon entering this facility, you can see that it is very well taken care of. The environment inside is friendly and welcoming -- just the kind of place you would want your loved one to be staying. The staff at The Kensington all seemed very warm and caring, and the nurses and doctors seemed to really enjoy what they do for a living.This facility has a very large dining hall from what I remember. The food looked delicious and the room had the ambiance of a nice restaurant. You could hear the piano playing throughout the whole room. It was a very peaceful setting for a lunch with my grandmother.Overall I was very impressed with this place. It's nicer than the average nursing home, definitely.

June 08, 2011

By hopingandhelping

Other

This used to be an independent living facility. Now it's assisted living, and it's very good. Some of the residents from the old independent living days still drive and have cars. They also have a new memory care unit, which is geared to those with more advanced dementia. I have a client there and have visited many times (to see other clients too). It's a large facility"”very nice and recently renovated. But it's near a busy intersection, close to the freeway. There's nowhere to walk except for a garden area in back of the facility. The apartments in the independent and assisted living are small but with good natural lighting. There are one bedroom and studio apartments. The food seems superior. The staff are a plus. They're tolerant of dementia behaviors, and they're caring and attentive. Medications management"”one of the keys to dementia care"”is also good. They have a large hall and a wide-open hall, which is good for walking and activities. One of the things I like is that even though the memory unit has a separate entrance, there's some supervised interaction between the memory unit residents and the other parts of the facility.

October 04, 2008

By Jean

My loved one stayed here

My dad stayed here a few months ago and we moved him to another property because there just seemed to be too many internal problems going on with the employees. They were always gossiping and on their cell phones. They didnt seem to pay attention to my dads needs and often missed cleaning his apt. The food was fine and activities passable. I wouldnt recomment this property to anyone wanting to find a warm loving place for their parent. It was just too sad things couldnt improve in time.

Independent Living Reviews for The Kensington

Costs for The Kensington

Photos of The Kensington

Services and Amenities of The Kensington

• Companion Suites: No

• Pets: Small Pets Allowed Only

• State Licenses: 079200623

About The Kensington

The Kensington is a retirement community in the heart of culture and the arts, just minutes from the Bedford Gallery, Lesher Center and the California Symphony – and with easy access to the surrounding Bay Area. Enjoy a morning walk along the Walnut Creek’s Iron Trail. Explore the downtown area, with its hundred-year-old buildings and high-end shopping. Or catch the Contra Costa BART for a day trip to the city. No matter your preference, you will discover endless opportunities for fun and excitement.

Independent Living at The Kensington

As a resident at The Kensington, you will find all kinds of opportunities for social connections, health and wellness activities, and the comforts and conveniences to help simplify life. Here are the included services for independent living:

• Exceptional restaurant-style dining options for breakfast, lunch and dinner including outdoor patio seating
  • Weekly housekeeping and flat linen laundry services
  • Full calendar of social, cultural, educational, and recreational activities and programs
  • Health and fitness classes
  • 24-hour emergency call system and onsite staff
  • Scheduled group transportation services to doctors’ appointments, shopping, events and entertainment
  • Utilities (except phone) including access to Wi-Fi, heating and air conditioning
  • Interior and exterior care and maintenance of all residences, common areas and grounds

Assisted Living at The Kensington

The Kensington’s assisted living services take a “whole-person” approach to wellness, and are tailored to meet your needs, now and in the future. Services can be dialed up, or back, at any time, so you can get the support you need. Residents choosing assisted living services enjoy the service amenities and common areas as listed above, as well as highly-personalized care services as needed to provide assistance for independence and wellness. Here are the additional services offered in assisted living:

• Restaurant-style dining choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • Weekly housekeeping, personal and flat linen laundry service
  • Help with daily activities, including bathing, dressing and grooming
  • Assistance with managing medications
  • Licensed nurse on staff
  • A holistic personal wellness plan that supports the whole “you”—physical, spiritual, emotional, social and intellectual

Memory Care at The Kensington

The Kensington’s Enliven™ Memory Care offers personalized care within a secure residential environment. Our carefully selected and trained staff works closely with memory-impaired residents and their families, developing individualized and innovative programs. Here are the services provided in our memory care residences:

• Three family-style meals served daily
  • Access to private dining room for family celebrations
  • Secured, residential environment
  • Specially-designed common areas and outdoor courtyard
  • Interior walking paths and private garden
  • Weekly housekeeping, personal and flat linen laundry service
  • 24-hour staffing and emergency call system
  • Scheduled group transportation
  • Weekly scenic drives and daily strolls
  • Help with daily activities, including bathing, dressing and grooming
  • Assistance with managing medications
  • Licensed nurse on staff
  • A full calendar of social, cultural and recreational activity programming that maximizes independence while focusing on strength and abilities
  • An environment (physical, social, and cultural) designed to encourage and support independence
  • Personalized care services to meet the changing needs of each resident
  • Shared studio suite
  • Utilities (except phone and cable)

As a resident at The Kensington, you will find a CARF-Accredited community with all kinds of lifestyle opportunities for social connections, health, and wellness activities through our ZEST™ Wellness, along with all the comforts and conveniences of care services to help simplify life.

Map of The Kensington