136 Assisted Living Facilities near Alamo, CA
There are 136 Assisted Living Facilities in the Alamo area, with 6 in Alamo and 130 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Alamo is $6,300 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Danville with an average starting cost of $4,697.
To help you with your search, browse the 465 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Alamo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Alamo 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include San Ramon with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alamo, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Alamo, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alamo
Alamo is a suburb of San Francisco, which has twice ranked among the best U.S. cities for seniors based on factors including healthcare, transportation and the environment. As of the 2010 census, Alamo had almost 15,000 residents, more than 20 percent of whom were seniors aged 65 or older.
For those who are considering moving into assisted living, there are seven facilities available in Alamo and over 130 in surrounding communities. The California Department of Social Services licenses these facilities as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) and defines them as facilities where at least 75 percent of the residents are age 60 or older.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alamo
- Alamo's bright, beautiful year-round climate allows active seniors to make the most of their time outside. In a typical year, Alamo has 262 sunny days and only 24 inches of rain.
- Assisted living facilities in Alamo may offer outings for their residents. From dining at local eateries to browsing at the Alamo Plaza Shopping Center, Alamo has something to offer nearly every senior. As a bonus, all the attractions of San Francisco are also within easy reach.
- Seniors in Alamo who have respiratory conditions may want to keep an eye on local air quality reports when planning outdoor activities. Contra Costa County received an "F" for its annual average number of unhealthy ozone days between 2014 and 2016. Ozone pollution in the city has been worsening over time, although the city's particle pollution rates have improved.
- Many seniors in assisted living depend on safe, reliable transportation to get around town. In Alamo, County Connection provides local bus service and Bay Area Rapid Transit, or BART, offers transportation throughout much of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Living in Alamo, as in the rest of California, can take a bigger bite out of seniors' budgets than other parts of the country. Living costs in Alamo are 281.6 percent and 212.6 percent more expensive than national and state averages, respectively.
- The Alamo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including John Muir Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alamo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Alamo start around $5,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alamo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alamo
For many seniors considering assisted living, cost is a significant concern. Fortunately, California’s state Medicaid program, Medi-Cal, offers an Assisted Living Waiver Program to help eligible seniors cover the costs of assisted living in Contra Costa County. Aid is also available to those who qualify through California’s Optional State Supplement to Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alamo
Alamo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alamo, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alamo
Alamo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Alamo
Review of Villa Vietri
Villa Vietri is a care home. They just have six people. It's a very nice place. I think my husband will like it there. I went in to take a look at it. The owner is very nice. She is a nice young gi... Read more
Review of Alamo Residence Home
Great facility. Meeran S. was amazing to deal with initially in getting my mother situated in her new environment. They have many activities available and take great care of my mother. We are beyon... Read more
Review of Alamo Residence Home
It was a facility with larger rooms than what I have seen in other places. It is well furnished with interactive media for entertainment. The staff are friendly and caring. They have lively intera... Read more