The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Moraga, CA for 2023
There are 174 Assisted Living Facilities in the Moraga area, with 2 in Moraga and 172 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 723 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Moraga. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Moraga 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lafayette with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Moraga, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Moraga, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Moraga
Moraga is a residential city in the scenic hills above Oakland, about halfway from the bay coast to the San Joaquin Valley. Just over 17,600 people live in Moraga, 20 percent of whom are seniors age 65 and over, and the town is linked with nearly a dozen other hill communities where 175 assisted living facilities provide safe, comfortable independent living for seniors. Like all residential care communities in the state, Moraga's assisted living facilities are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Moraga
- The climate in Moraga is both warmer and more variable than lower-altitude Bay communities like Oakland. Summers get hot here, with daily average highs of 85 degrees. Winters in Moraga are cooler than on the flats, but still mild with average lows of 40 degrees. A little over 25 inches of rain fall on Moraga in a typical year, which causes winter and spring greening of the hills and can raise mold and pollen allergens that trouble some seniors with asthma.
- The cost of living in Moraga is very high by national standards. All costs combined here average 300 percent the national rate, and the median home cost in Moraga is over $1.3 million. Healthcare is less disproportionately expensive, but typical costs are still 2 percent above average rates paid nationwide.
- Crime rates in Moraga are very low. For all crime categories combined, Moraga has 80 percent less crime than equivalent-sized communities elsewhere in America. Violent crime is even less common than property offenses such as theft and vandalism.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) provides bus service throughout the East Bay Area. Scheduled bus routes and dial-a-ride service can bring Moraga seniors to transit hubs in Oakland and Berkeley at a discount, from which riders can reach almost any community in the region. All BART buses and trains are ADA-compliant, and drivers can assist mobility-impaired riders with wheelchair access.
- The Moraga area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Alta Bates Summit Medical Center and Kaiser Permanente Walnut Creek Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Moraga has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Diablo Valley Foundation for the Aging, an organization that performs needs assessments and regular check-ins with seniors in Moraga, as well as four senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Moraga
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Moraga start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Moraga and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Moraga
Seniors in Moraga who meet the income and asset requirements for Medicaid may qualify for a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver program. This waiver covers some or all of the cost of residence in assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Moraga
Moraga and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Moraga, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Moraga
Moraga-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Moraga
Review of Aegis Living Moraga
Great facility. Wonderful staff. If your loved one has dementia or Alzheimer’s, I would highly recommend you ask to speak with others residents’ family members RE: potential cost increases before s... Read more
Review of Moraga Royale
We chose to move Dad to Moraga Royale because my sister lives within walking distance. That was a big reason. It also has better weather than San Francisco. The facility looks really good, very cle... Read more
Review of Aegis Living Moraga
Aegis Living Moraga was nice, clean, and homey. The staff member who accommodated me was very helpful and she also followed up. The also have amenities. Read more