69 Assisted Living Facilities near Oakland, CA
With an average cost of $3,853 in Oakland, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 97 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 27 facilities in Oakland.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Oakland, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oakland
Oakland is a large industrial and port city located just across the bay from San Francisco. Oakland is home to over 425,000 residents, 8.8 percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. Oakland's 71 assisted living facilities are officially known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs). These facilities, like all residential care communities in the state, are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oakland
- The weather in Oakland is generally stable and cool, due to the proximity of the Bay. Summer highs in Oakland average 74 degrees, and many of the older homes in the city do without air conditioning altogether. Winter lows average 44 degrees in December. Rainfall totals vary a lot between the flats and the hills above Oakland, but the city averages just under 24 inches of rain in a typical year.
- The cost of living in Oakland is at least 49 percent higher than the national average. Much of the extra cost of living in Oakland is in the much higher-than-average housing prices, but even healthcare costs close to 17 percent more in Oakland than it does nationwide.
- Crime rates in Oakland are very high across all categories of reported offenses. Overall rates of crime in Oakland are roughly three times higher than the national average, with more property crime than violence.
- Public transportation in Oakland is provided by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), which operates bus and rail service throughout the Bay Area. Seniors can ride BART vehicles at a discount, and an underground train conveniently connects Oakland with San Francisco.
- The Oakland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Highland Hospital and Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Oakland is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oakland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Oakland start around $3,858 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oakland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oakland
The majority of assisted living facilities in Oakland are private pay only, and there aren't many opportunities for financial assistance unless you're living in a small selection of communities. Residents in these designated RCFEs can benefit from the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) if they have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility and meet other requirements. The ALW only allows reimbursement for services and does not pay for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oakland
Oakland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oakland, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oakland
Oakland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Oakland, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oakland
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights
Please know how absolutely delighted I am with my aunt Hilde's experience at Pacifica. I'm in awe of the staff and the tender loving and compassionate care she is shown. She's made a remarkable adj... Read more
Review of Golden Living Guest Home, LLC
Nirmala and her staff are caring and took extremely good care of my mother-in-law. Nirmala is very perceptive and understands how various medication can affect the patient. The staff is very atten... Read more
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights
I loved Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights; it had a very sweet atmosphere. It was like a little village with a little main street to itself. The two-bedroom that we looked at was just too smal... Read more