70 Assisted Living Facilities near Oakland, CA
With an average cost of $3,603 in Oakland, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 95 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 28 facilities in Oakland.
28 Assisted Living Facilities in Oakland, CA
42 Assisted Living Facilities near Oakland, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oakland
Oakland is a large industrial and port city located just across the bay from San Francisco. Oakland is home to over 425,000 residents, 8.8 percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. Oakland's 71 assisted living facilities are officially known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs). These facilities, like all residential care communities in the state, are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oakland
- The weather in Oakland is generally stable and cool, due to the proximity of the Bay. Summer highs in Oakland average 74 degrees, and many of the older homes in the city do without air conditioning altogether. Winter lows average 44 degrees in December. Rainfall totals vary a lot between the flats and the hills above Oakland, but the city averages just under 24 inches of rain in a typical year.
- The cost of living in Oakland is at least 49 percent higher than the national average. Much of the extra cost of living in Oakland is in the much higher-than-average housing prices, but even healthcare costs close to 17 percent more in Oakland than it does nationwide.
- Crime rates in Oakland are very high across all categories of reported offenses. Overall rates of crime in Oakland are roughly three times higher than the national average, with more property crime than violence.
- Public transportation in Oakland is provided by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), which operates bus and rail service throughout the Bay Area. Seniors can ride BART vehicles at a discount, and an underground train conveniently connects Oakland with San Francisco.
- The Oakland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Highland Hospital and Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Oakland is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oakland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Oakland start around $3,603 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oakland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oakland
The majority of assisted living facilities in Oakland are private pay only, and there aren't many opportunities for financial assistance unless you're living in a small selection of communities. Residents in these designated RCFEs can benefit from the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) if they have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility and meet other requirements. The ALW only allows reimbursement for services and does not pay for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oakland
Oakland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oakland, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oakland
Oakland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Oakland, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oakland
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights
Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights was great, but they couldn't take my mom because she has C. diff. We were also upset because at first we thought she was going to assisted living, and what ha... Read more
Review of The Point at Rockridge
I really like The Point at Rockridge. The staff was amazing and the place was amazing. However, it was not a convenient location for the family. That was the only reason, otherwise, we probably wou... Read more
Review of House of Psalms Assisted Living
House of Psalms Assisted Living is the most reasonable out of all the places I visited. There are no amenities. It's pretty much a place to stay for room and board. The place is very basic and ther... Read more