52 Assisted Living Facilities near Alameda, CA
There are 52 Assisted Living Facilities in the Alameda area, with 8 in Alameda and 44 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Alameda is $5,043 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Oakland with an average starting cost of $3,603.
To help you with your search, browse the 183 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Alameda. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Alameda 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lafayette with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alameda, call (855) 863-8283.
8 Assisted Living Facilities in Alameda, CA
44 Assisted Living Facilities near Alameda, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alameda
Alameda is a city in Alameda County, California located on Alameda Island and Bay Farm Island. Alameda assisted living facilities are regulated by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division. Like other California cities, these communities are called residential care facilities, and at least 75 percent of the resident population must be at least 60 years old to maintain the designation. Seniors have their choice of eight assisted living facilities in Alameda with 45 additional options in the surrounding areas of Oakland and Hayward.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alameda
- Alameda scores an 81 out of 100 on the Sperling's Comfort Index, indicating a more agreeable climate throughout the year. The area experiences a high of around 71 degrees Fahrenheit in July and a low of 44 degrees in January. The average rainfall in the city is 21 inches, and snowfall is rare.
- The city offers a number of transportation options. AC Transit provides bus service to Alameda and the surrounding areas, including an express bus that runs to San Francisco. The BART shuttle service connects to most of the San Francisco Bay Area and the San Francisco Bay Ferry is also available to Alameda residents. All three services offer discount fares to seniors who are at least 65 years old.
- The Alameda area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Alameda Hospital, Kaiser Permanente San Leandro Medical Center and Highland Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Alameda seniors over the age of 65 can take advantage of the many tax benefits available to them in California. The state offers the Senior Income Tax Exemption Credit, and California does not tax social security income, including disability benefits and survivor's benefits. Prescription purchases, whether medication or medical equipment, are non-taxable for all California residents.
- The property crime rate in Alameda is almost even with the national average but is lower than the state average. The rate of violent crime in the city is significantly lower than the California and U.S. indexes.
- Alameda's overall cost of living is higher than the state of California and is more than twice the national average. This is mostly due to the inflated cost of housing but groceries, health care and transportation are also above the U.S. average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alameda
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Alameda start around $4,855 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alameda and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alameda
Alameda seniors can seek financial assistance for assisted living through Medi-Cal's Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Program, the Assisted Living Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alameda
Alameda and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alameda, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alameda
Alameda-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Alameda, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Alameda
Review of Bay Harbour Residential Care Home
Everyone was in their room when I went to Bay Harbour Residential Care Home. I didn't see anyone except one man who always sits in the kitchen. The place seemed a little small and I didn't see the ... Read more
Review of Oakmont of Mariner Point
Oakmont of Mariner Point was a very pleasant and elegant but quite a small community. The food and the staff were very good. They had a second community right next door they're associated with that... Read more
Review of Waters Edge Lodge
My mother was a resident of The Lodge for over 3 years. She enjoyed her time there. She was able to find a group to play bridge with and had a great time at bingo every night. The owners are genius... Read more