102 Assisted Living Facilities near Walnut Creek, CA
With an average cost of $3,908 in Walnut Creek, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 122 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 40 facilities in Walnut Creek.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Walnut Creek, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Walnut Creek
Part of Contra Costa County, Walnut Creek, California, is in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area. There are 179 assisted living and residential care communities in Walnut Creek, CA, and the surrounding areas.. Like the city itself, these are scattered in a roughly Y-shaped pattern through the western valley of Contra Costa County, at the base of Mount Diablo. Residential care and assisted living facilities in California are regulated through the state Department of Social Services Senior Care Licensing Program; and offer 24-hour monitoring, room and board and help from staff doing the normal activities of daily living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Walnut Creek
- Contra Costa is on the warm side of the San Francisco Bay Area, and Walnut Creek benefits from that with warm summers and very mild winters. Daytime highs in the city average 69 degrees Fahrenheit, lows average 48 degrees, and the prevailing Delta breeze brings 25 inches of rain annually off the Bay.
- The cost of living in Walnut Creek is significantly higher than the average for both California and the United States generally. Groceries, for instance, cost an average 25 percent more in Walnut Creek than nationally.
- California imposes significant taxes on its residents, as does Contra Costa County. Residents who earn income here pay 10.8 percent in state income tax, though SSI and most retirement income are exempt. Property taxes can also take a bite out of homeowners, though residents in assisted living feel the cost much less directly.
Crime in Walnut Creek is very low in all categories. Serious crimes fall below one-third the national average.
- Walnut Creek has the good fortune to be right on the East Bay route for Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). This network of buses and trains can carry a senior, whose Medicare card can be accepted for a senior discount pass, anywhere in the region, from Santa Cruz in the south to Sausalito in the north.
- Walnut Creek has two of the region's most prestigious hospitals. John Muir Memorial Hospital and Kaiser Permanente Walnut Creek Medical Center. Both of these providers maintain large inpatient facilities near the center of town, and both operate extensive networks of outpatient and specialty clinics throughout the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Walnut Creek
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Walnut Creek start around $3,908 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Walnut Creek and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Walnut Creek
Financial aid is available for low-income and indigent aging citizens, and personal free care consultations can be arranged through the Care First website. Help managing the costs of assisted living is also available from the state through its Medi-Cal waiver program, which helps divert eligible seniors from skilled nursing homes and into residential care communities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Walnut Creek
Walnut Creek and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Walnut Creek, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Walnut Creek
Walnut Creek-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Walnut Creek, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Walnut Creek
Review of Byron Park
On the upside: Nice residents, beautiful building, beautiful courtyard, nice staff. On the downside: A bait and switch approach to pricing. My mom moved to assisted living several years ago, think... Read more
Review of Atria Valley View
We went Atria Valley View. I didn't think the meal service was good, they weren't that friendly at lunch, we had lunch there, and the waitress wasn't that friendly. The person who gave the tour did... Read more
Review of Tiffany Court of Walnut Creek
I moved my spouse from a 120 sq ft facility care room to a spacious Tiffany Court studio apt with self contain Bathroom. Our previous care facility room was half the size with shared bathroom. T... Read more