106 Assisted Living Facilities near Irvine, CA
There are 106 Assisted Living Facilities in the Irvine area, with 16 in Irvine and 90 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Irvine is $4,524 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Tustin with an average starting cost of $3,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 332 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Irvine. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Irvine 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Laguna Hills with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Irvine, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Irvine, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Irvine
As a master-planned city in Orange County, Irvine has grown to accommodate over 277,000 people, yet only 10.2 percent are 65 and over. There are 16 assisted living facilities in Irvine, California, with an additional 44 facilities in the surrounding areas for a total of 60 to choose from. Assisted living facilities provide housing and care for individuals who aren't able to live independently. In California, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) are heavily regulated and are required to support independence for residents and encourage self-direction.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Irvine
- The summer high temperature in Irvine averages 83 degrees, and the winter low is around 46 degrees. With zero average days of snow and Sperling Comfort Index rank of 85 out of 100, Irvine has a fairly comfortable year-round climate. Compare this to a city like Chicago, where the summertime average is very close to that of Irvine's, a mere degree cooler at 82 degrees, but the winter temperatures dip to an average of a frigidly cold 19 degrees with 26 inches of snow cover and a Sperling rank of just 46.
- The air quality in Orange County, California, where Irvine is located, earns an F-rating and the 24-hour particle pollution rating is D, as noted by the American Lung Association. This may be an important consideration for seniors with respiratory conditions.
- The cost of living in Irvine is a hefty 107 percent higher than the national average, making it one of the less affordable cities in the United States.
- California doesn't tax Social Security checks, but that can be offset by the fact that California places some of the nation's highest tax rates on pensions, retirement accounts and sales taxes. This, combined with the higher-than-average cost of living, may significantly cut into a senior's assisted living budget.
- The Irvine area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Hoag Hospital Irvine, in the event of medical emergencies or illness. This offers the reassurance that help is close by in the event of a medical emergency.
- Irvine has an array of community resources available for seniors, including the TRIPS transportation system, an organization that provides low-cost, wheel-chair accessible, door-to-door transportation for seniors and disabled adults, and there are three local senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Irvine
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Irvine start around $4,554 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Irvine and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Irvine
Seniors who require financial assistance with an ALF can seek eligibility through the California Medicaid program. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an ALF rather than a nursing home may also receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Irvine
Irvine and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Irvine, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Irvine
Irvine-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Irvine, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Irvine
Review of Whispering Oaks - Yankee
Food brought to facility for resident disappears and the constantly changing staff knows nothing about it. Staff often doesnt speak English. Facility is clean! Staff stability is a constant problem... Read more
Review of Irvine Cottages 1
My mom is in the Irvine Cottage at 16 Porter. I just have to say that The Irvine Cottages are the creme de la creme of boarding care homes. They have a 5 star team available for all residents n... Read more
Review of Irvine Cottages 1
My sister was a member of Irvine Cottages for about 7 years. My experience as her brother visiting every week is...they are clean, staffed with caring caregivers (that includes the administration) ... Read more