32 Assisted Living Facilities near San Luis Obispo, CA
With an average cost of $4,225 in San Luis Obispo, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 30 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 10 facilities in San Luis Obispo.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in San Luis Obispo, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Luis Obispo
Located on the Central Coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, the city of San Luis Obispo has a population of 46,716. In San Luis Obispo, as in the rest of California, assisted living facilities are called residental care facilities for the elderly (RCF). There are seven RCFs in San Luis Obispo and 38 nearby. Each helps seniors with personal care and activities of daily living and is regulated and licensed by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Luis Obispo
- San Luis Obispo seniors should be cautious about going outdoors when there are unhealthy air quality levels reported by the Air Quality Index. This is common during fall and spring months. Due to the town's high particle pollution, it was ranked 13th worse in the nation by the American Lung Association (ALA).
- The cost of living in California is 52 percent higher than the national median, while the city of San Luis Obispo has an 83 percent higher one. This is inflated mainly due to housing costs, with other living expenses remaining relatively average. Seniors pay 2.8 percent less on health bills and 12.7 percent less on groceries than those in neighboring cities, which could help those on a limited income in California.
- San Luis Obispo is only considered safer than 4 percent of other communities in California. Seniors may want to consider the 27.75 percent higher violent crime rates compared to the national average before moving here if security is an issue.
- Seniors enjoy the relatively mild year-round weather in the San Luis Obispo area that allows for more outdoor activity than others in the nation. The hottest month, September, averages 65 degrees while the coldest month, December, averages 52 degrees.
- The San Luis Obispo area has an array of community resources for seniors, including the San Luis Obispo Senior Center, an organization that provides clubs, senior services and outdoor activities at the local senior center.
- Seniors enjoy the discounts on the abundant transportation options available in San Luis Obispo, including the Morro Bay Transit, Paso Express, SLO Transit, South County Transit (SCT) and Regional Transit Authority.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Luis Obispo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Luis Obispo start around $4,225 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Luis Obispo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Luis Obispo
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Luis Obispo, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near San Luis Obispo, CA
Other Options in San Luis Obispo, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Luis Obispo
Review of Avila Senior Living at Downtown SLO
The staff here are wonderful and caring, but the facility is understaffed and the administration isn't responsive. Residents can wait at the table up to an hour to be served their meals. Transpo... Read more
Review of The Village at Sydney Creek
The Village at Sydney Creek is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, clean, and spacious. It wasn't overwhelming. It was safe. The building was definitely built for its purpose. The staff was very positi... Read more
Review of Avila Senior Living at Downtown SLO
I really enjoyed my visit at the Avila Senior Living facility. While looking for a soft landing place for my mom, I immediately felt at home when i walked in the building. There is a cozy sitting a... Read more