22 Assisted Living Facilities near Los Osos, CA
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Los Osos area, with 5 in Los Osos and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Los Osos is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 38 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Los Osos. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Los Osos 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Morro Bay with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Los Osos, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Los Osos, CA
17 Assisted Living Facilities near Los Osos, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Los Osos
Los Osos is a small coastal town on the western edge of San Luis Obispo County, on California's scenic Central Coast. Home to just over 14,000 people, 23 percent of Los Osos' residents are seniors age 65 and over. The South Bay region in and around Los Osos is served by at least 22 assisted living facilities, where seniors can live independently and still have help with activities of daily living (ADLs) that have become difficult for them to do alone. Like all such facilities in the state, Los Osos' assisted living communities are regulated and licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Los Osos
- Los Osos is a coastal community in San Luis Obispo County, which has uniformly mild weather. Annual high temperatures here average 80 degrees, while winters average lows of just 40 degrees. Around 19 inches of rain falls over Los Osos in a typical year.
- The cost of living is high in Los Osos, compared with the rest of the country. Overall, costs in all categories combined are 55 percent above the national average, while healthcare is actually 12 percent less expensive than the national average.
Crime rates are somewhat higher than average in Los Osos. Like much of the rest of San Luis Obispo County, property crime rates here are roughly 25 percent higher than the national median. Violent crime remains rare in Los Osos, with perhaps one-third fewer violent incidents than is typical for similar-sized cities in America.
- Public transportation in Los Osos is in the hands of the San Luis Obispo Regional Transit Authority, which operates bus routes throughout the coastal strip and into San Luis Obispo itself. Disabled ride services are available through the transit authority, and seniors with valid ID qualify for a discount on all regular services.
- The Los Osos area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as French Hospital Medical Center and Twin Cities Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Osos has an array of community resources for seniors, including the South Bay Community Center, an organization that operates a senior nutrition program that's free to all Los Osos and Moro Bay seniors, as well as more than three senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Los Osos
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Los Osos start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Los Osos and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Los Osos
San Luis Obispo County does not take part in California's assisted living waiver program for Medicaid recipients, though seniors in Los Osos can get some help managing the cost of senior living through the Grants-in-Aid program run by the city of San Luis Obispo.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Los Osos
Los Osos and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Los Osos, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Los Osos
Los Osos-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Los Osos, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Los Osos
Review of Southbay Maxi Care
Two months ago, my husband and I moved in at Southbay Maxi Care. It's a small facility but everything is pretty good. The staff are really fine and they seem to do their best. The food is not wonde... Read more