17 Assisted Living Facilities near Monterey, CA
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Monterey area, with 7 in Monterey and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Monterey is $4,718 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 71 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Monterey. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Monterey 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Marina with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Monterey find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Monterey, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in Monterey, CA
10 Assisted Living Facilities near Monterey, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Monterey
All assisted living facilities in the highly desired, oceanside California community of Monterey are known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, or RCFE’s, as are all assisted living facilities across the state of California. With strict laws and regulations, these facilities assist seniors with personal care, memory care, and medication management. In the Monterey vicinity, there are 21 assisted living facilities for seniors to explore.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Monterey
- With a location along the ocean in Northern California, Monterey’s weather stays between the mid-70s in the summer and the low 40s in the winter months. There’s also little precipitation year-round, though most of the rain is in the fall and winter, which could be attractive to seniors who enjoy changing seasons without weather extremes.
Air quality in the Monterey peninsula is usually good to excellent overall, as it has a constant ocean breeze and is far enough from the metroplex of the Bay area to maintain clear air most of the time.
- Monterey has a surprisingly affordable cost of living when compared to other oceanside communities of California and the rest of the United States overall. While the average home costs more than twice what it would in the rest of the United States, it is in line with average home costs in the Golden State. All other things, from groceries to healthcare to transportation are on par or just slightly more expensive than the median averages in the nation, which could be an issue for seniors on a budget.
- The crime rate in Monterey is higher than most seaside communities. While it’s well below state median and a little below the national median, it is only considered safer than 9 percent of U.S. cities.
- The Monterey-Salinas transit authority provides discounted rates for seniors, veterans and those with disabilities who rely on the bus system to get around. The United Way also helps with transportation for seniors in the area.
- The Monterey area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, in the event medical care is needed.
Paying for Assisted Living in Monterey
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Monterey start around $4,718 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Monterey and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Monterey
Medi-Cal will pay for assisted living facilities in Monterey, when medically necessary, as they will for seniors across the state of California. The Monterey County Department of Social Services assists seniors financially, namely through their Supplemental Security Income Advocacy Program which helps seniors qualify for assistance through the Social Security Administration.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Monterey
Monterey and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Monterey, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Monterey
Monterey-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Monterey, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Monterey
Review of The Park Lane
Beautiful place. Delicious food. Cynthia is an AWESOME help ! Read more
Review of The Park Lane
We had an excellent tour. The staff and residents were all very friendly. The staff is very competent and accommodating! Read more
Review of The Park Lane
My daughter and I had a comprehensive tour of the building and the apartment in consideration. We were treated to lunch in their beautiful dining room. Beautiful facility, inside and out. Warm, fri... Read more