19 Assisted Living Facilities near Pacific Grove, CA
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Pacific Grove area, with 4 in Pacific Grove and 15 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 79 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pacific Grove. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pacific Grove 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Monterey with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pacific Grove, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Pacific Grove, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove is a coastal city in Monterey County with a population of 15,546 and median age of 49, which 36 percent higher than the California median age, 36. It is home to 23 assisted living facilities, with four in the city proper and another 19 facilities located nearby. Here, facilities are licensed through the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division and are officially referred to as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs). A minimum of 75 percent of residents in these facilities are aged 60 or older, and varying degrees of care and supervision are provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pacific Grove
- Pacific Grove rates high on Sperling’s Comfort Index, scoring 83 out of 100. There is little variance in temperature throughout the year, as summer highs are in the mid-60s and winter lows are in the mid-40s, making it ideal for seniors who enjoy outdoor living.
- Pacific Grove has a high cost of living that is more than double the national average, which can largely be contributed to the high cost of housing. While the cost of groceries is about the same here as elsewhere, seniors may pay about 7 percent more on health care costs and about 5 percent more on transportation.
- Pacific Grove has a low overall crime rate that is 31 percent lower than the state average and 27 percent lower than the national average. The rate of violent crimes in the city is 87 percent lower than the state average and 85 percent lower than the U.S. average.
Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) operates a free trolley in Pacific Grove. Additionally, MST has more than 50 city bus routes throughout the Pacific Grove region, and seniors receive a discount on fares. The city also funds transportation programs for seniors.
- The Pacific Grove area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Monterey.
- Pacific Grove has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Carmel Foundation, an organization that offers educational classes and workshops, free medical equipment loans, free blood pressure checks and a variety of other services, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pacific Grove
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Pacific Grove start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pacific Grove and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pacific Grove
In Pacific Grove, seniors may qualify for financial aid to help pay for the cost of assisted living. There are two programs that may help fund assisted living, Medi-Cal, which offers an Assisted Living Waiver program, and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pacific Grove, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Pacific Grove, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pacific Grove
Review of Canterbury Woods - Pacific Grove
My dad moved into assisted living at Canterbury Woods - Pacific Grove. It looks very nice. He knows several people who currently live there and he's able to work out a deal where his current home h... Read more
Review of Forest Hill Manor
Forest Hill Manor has a very nice atmosphere and is in a good location. The rooms have a view of the Pacific Grove lights. They have a very nice restaurant, a library, an exercise room, craft rooms... Read more
Review of Canterbury Woods - Pacific Grove
Canterbury Woods would not be for me because everything was too close. It used to be a beautiful mansion, and they tore it down. Their chalets which would interest me were right by the street, so y... Read more