57 Assisted Living Facilities near Thousand Oaks, CA
With an average cost of $3,479 in Thousand Oaks, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 85 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 41 facilities in Thousand Oaks.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Thousand Oaks, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Thousand Oaks
WIth its close promimity to beaches, mountains, and various types of entertainment, Thousand Oaks, California offers seniors much to see and do outside of their assisted living communities. In Thousand Oaks, and all of California, such homes are referred to as Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs or Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE). They provide housing, meals, housekeeping, storage and distribution of medication and personal care assistance. There are 40 ALFs in the Thousand Oaks area and 13 nearby in the cities of Agoura Hills, Simi Valley and Moorpark.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Thousand Oaks
- The Thousand Oaks area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Los Robles Regional Medical Center and the Thousand Oaks Surgical Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Thousand Oaks has an array of community resources for seniors, including the County of Ventura Area Agency on Aging, which offers legal services, employment training and nutrition programs, as well as one senior center.
- The cost of living in Thousand Oaks is nearly twice that in comparison to the average US city and significantly more than other cities in the state. Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference with the cost of an average home around $719,000.
- Thousand Oaks receives approximately 17 inches of rain per year, which is half that of most US cities. With average summer temperatures around 80 and 268 sunny days per year, Thousand Oaks is ideal for those who like to spend time outdoors. The average winter low is around 46 degrees.
- Crime in the Thousand Oaks area is lower than other cities in the state and in the country. The most common offense is theft without force.
- Thousand Oaks has plenty of art and culture opportunities for seniors. Daily outings include trips to the San Diego Zoo or Universal Studios or taking in a show by the Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Thousand Oaks
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Thousand Oaks start around $3,488 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Thousand Oaks and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Thousand Oaks
California Medicaid provides assistance for eligible individuals in Thousand Oaks for an assisted living facility. Also called Medi-Cal, this program is designed for those with limited incomes and resources to receive personal care and nursing home care. The Assisted Living Waiver Program helps individuals who are eligible for a nursing home but would rather live in an ALF.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Thousand Oaks
Thousand Oaks and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Thousand Oaks, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Thousand Oaks
Thousand Oaks-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Thousand Oaks, CA
Other Options in Thousand Oaks, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Thousand Oaks
Review of Oakview
I would highly recommend living at Oakview for senior living. My mother-in-law moved to Oakview Assisted living. She is now 95. Safety and well-being of the staff and residents are the cornerstones... Read more
Review of Sage Mountain Senior Living
We chose Sage Mountain Senior Living for my mom, she's moving to their assisted living before June 30th. We've toured it, it looks modern, the staff is helpful, and I saw a studio apartment. I like... Read more
Review of Atria Hillcrest
I toured Atria Hillcrest for my parents, and I like their program. I really loved the community. It was very clean, very organized, and very operated. Jennifer was very helpful; she answered all my... Read more