Sunrise of Westlake Village

3101 Townsgate Road, Westlake Village, CA 91361
Sunrise of Westlake Village (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 24 days

Please ask about our March Special Incentives!

Reviews of Sunrise of Westlake Village

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Westlake Village

November 30, 2015

By Arlene13

My husband was at Sunrise of Westlake Village for one month. It was an extremely nice-looking, pleasant place. It was expensive to put him there, but I’m not worried at all. He got excellent care. They have a very helpful and friendly staff.

October 24, 2015

By Anonymous114619450

The rooms in Sunrise were OK. The dining area looked nice. The staff was very nice and showed me around.

June 22, 2015

Sunrise is outstanding. It’s a fabulous facility with fabulous people, and we are very happy with Sunrise. The rooms are clean, excellent, and better than expected. They have various kinds of activities all day. She loves the food, and we’re pleased. The dining area is excellent, and the people are great. It is very safe with double security, and it's very well organized and first class. I liked the friendliness of the people, their professionalism, and their attention to detail. Everything is outstanding.

February 11, 2015

Sunrise of Westlake Village is one of the better assisted living communities in this particular area. There are a number of assisted and also senior centers, and their problem is the restaurant food. It is by the same chef day in and day out that it gets to be a little bit boring. As far as the facility itself, it is a good facility. They have nurses on staff 24/7. The room I have is fairly small. But I am by myself, and I don't need very much room. It is adequate, and it faces the sun. The bathrooms are adequate. It has a shower and a stool, and the facilities are adequate. They need to improve their restaurant though. They need to get better food like fresh vegetables and fruits. The activities they have are good, but they need to continue to change them and get more of a variety.

September 04, 2014

By ddsharp33

Elder care is a miserable necessity. But I can confidently recommend Sunrise of Westlake Village under Director Royce, because of their current caring and clever staff. My mother with Alzheimer's has resided on the 3rd floor (Memory Care) at Sunrise for over a year. I cannot speak to the value of Sunrise's services since my father pays the bills. I am comfortable knowing my mom's physical and emotional needs are met with compassion, patience and humor here. The staff will meet with family, speak candidly - one on one and genuinely like caring for the elderly. It takes HUGE effort to visit often and to personally interact with this large staff (which is a must - anywhere). You get back what you put into this. Participating is an investment. Sunrise encourages family to join residents for meals, go on field trips, bring pets for visits and even sleep over! There are issues too at Sunrise. Staff changes happen and upset the systems. Policy for paperwork depends on who you ask. "No-Salt diets are close to impossible to adhere to anywhere. Residents clothes go missing often (my mom's new favorite fuscha sweater came from someone else's closet). I'm told my mom likes to curl up in bed at night with her roomate! Her missing eye glasses were found in a flower pot. Dementia is craziness. Sunrise's support group and staff have helped me to learn new ways to relate to and comfort my mom.

August 13, 2012

By florance

They take good care of my mother. The staff are wonderful. It's a very beautiful and clean place. They're an excellent community! The meal is not so good though. I think it's not that tasteful. A lot of people there complain about the taste of the meal. They say it's not so nice. Also, the meal time is too early for breakfast and there are short intervals in between the meals. I think they have breakfast at around eight to nine-thirty in the morning. The residents there are old people so they don't get up that early. Then around eleven or noon, they have their lunch and I guess they're not even hungry yet. The interval between meals are short and nobody can eat that many meals in such a short interval. So I would like them improve on making their meals more tasteful and adjusting the meal time for the residents. Otherwise, they're very good.

April 28, 2012

By spencerthibo

This facility is a very clean well organized and nice assisted living home. The staff are very kind and are always in a good mood. It is a very beautiful place and relaxing place to be. They have a nice pathway that runs all the way around the facility with bushes and flowers. They have a table in the middle of the facility to remember the folks that have passed away recently. There I helped set up tables for dinner and I also would talk to some of the residence so they had people to talk to. I also helped walk dogs that needed to go to the bathroom and needed walks. The faculty was very happy and grateful to have me helping out and I would definitely recommend going here. They also have daily activities set up and field trips so that residence don't get bored during the day. Great place.

August 04, 2011

By ElizabethRose

Other

I visited this facility about six months ago on a fact-finding mission related to my father's future care. I picked this facility as my father lived in this community for about 35 years and is comfortable with its surroundings. From the outside of the building and parking lot, the facility looks like a 5 star golfing resort as it is nestled up against a beautiful golf course. The grounds are quite beautiful with pathways and benches that are plentiful. In no way does this facility look like a care facility. On entering the lobby it appears very comfortable and homey. The receptionist has a companion dog that was lying on the floor near the desk and was friendly to all that arrived.The staff gave me a complete tour including introducing me to several residents, with a few proudly showing off their rooms. There seemed to be a wonderful sense of pride and community with the residents and they all seemed happy, independent and well cared for.The dining rooms, recreation rooms, sitting areas and multimedia rooms were all immaculate and beautifully decorated in a comfortable and inviting way.I was impressed with the staff members as I met them along the way including maintenance, kitchen and office staff.The director stressed the types of services available and how we could graduate to different levels of assistance as needed. She invited me back with my father to enjoy a lunch or dinner and to meet other residents.Overall this is a very well managed, clean and comfortable facility with a great deal to offer its residents.

May 29, 2011

By adilam

Friend or relative of resident

My family and I were very impressed with the care my grandmother got at this assisted living community. She didn't have the easiest time adjusting to being a group setting and didn't really want to participate in the activities at first, but the staff was very encouraging and nudged her to get involved. After a few weeks she started making a few friends and was saying she wished she moved there much earlier. We really appreciated the kindness they showed her and the sense of relief it gave us once she started to adjust. The food is good and the place itself is very attractive and classy.

Questions about Sunrise of Westlake Village

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Quarterly Class. Yearly behavioral Expressions & Memory Care Classes

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Westlake Village. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age is between 80-85. Residents love community outings, Out to Lunch Bunch, Friday Happy Hour, and live entertainment we offer at least twice a week.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Westlake Village offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Sing-Fit program designed for residences who have dementia which stimulates mind, body and spirit.

What places are near Sunrise of Westlake Village or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Golfing, Fine dining, Hiking, Shopping, Restaurants, and Movie Theaters.

What transportation services does Sunrise of Westlake Village offer to assisted living residents?

Wheelchair and walker accessible bus provides transportation to doctors appointments and outings.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Westlake Village exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

All meals are prepared using fresh seasonal ingredients. Meals include seasonal offering, regional dishes and traditional classics. Use of latest technology "Table Side Dining" to ensure resident satisfaction and safety.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Westlake Village offer to assisted living residents?

We offer pendants to call for assistance which are worn around the residents neck. Door alarms on all doors, wall pull cords in every room, grab bars in shower & next to toilet.

How does Sunrise of Westlake Village keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Monthly wellness calls to families. Every 6 months family meeting or as needed.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sunrise of Westlake Village during daytime and nighttime hours?

Sunrise has variable staffing which is based upon the acuity of residents, allowing us to meet the needs of each individual resident.

If Sunrise of Westlake Village accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept dogs and cats. We also have a house dog, Mia, who enjoys being petted and loved by all residents. All areas within the community are available for the animals to enjoy.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Quarterly classes on the computer. Monthly reviews at Town Hall. Daily/weekly in services during crossover

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Variable staffing to the acuity of residents.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Westlake Village provide to protect residents who wander?

Wander Guards for residents in AL for 30 days. If wandering becomes an issue the resident is moved to our memory care unit which is a secured neighborhood.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Westlake Village offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Sunrise Lives with Fulfillment Program, i.e., Life skills boxes and centers; Reminisce & feel needed by helping with dishes, sweeping, folding, set tables - also stimulates long term memories. Small groups based on residents likes and past experiences (ex-travel group; teachers group); Activities to stimulate mind, body and spirt; music sing alongs etc.

Wellness nurse and the Assisted Living or Reminiscence Coordinator. Consist monitoring of all residents for change in health or cognitive functioning.

What techniques does Sunrise of Westlake Village use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Always sit and speak in gentle tones. Offer small choices. Announce what is happening. Offer their favorite foods

How does Sunrise of Westlake Village keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Monthly Wellness Call. Weekly calls for new residents. Calls when there are changes and/or incidents. 6 month Individual Service Plan meetings.

Describe the neighborhood around Sunrise of Westlake Village. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Quite residential neighborhood close to restaurants, shopping and theaters all in walking distance.

Is Sunrise of Westlake Village affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

No affiliation with any one hospital.

Photos of Sunrise of Westlake Village