105 Assisted Living Facilities near Sylmar, CA
Also serving communities of San Fernando.
There are 105 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sylmar area, with 3 in Sylmar and 102 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sylmar is $3,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Granada Hills with an average starting cost of $3,233.
To help you with your search, browse the 311 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sylmar. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sylmar 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granada Hills with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sylmar, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sylmar, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sylmar
Sylmar occupies a slice of valley floor to the north of Burbank, above the Hollywood Hills and not more than a bicycle ride away from almost all the major Hollywood studios. Almost 25,000 people live in Sylmar, but just 8.8 percent of the city's residents are seniors age 65 and over. Sylmar is fully integrated with the surrounding valley communities, which share 98 assisted living facilities between them where seniors can live with as much independence and privacy as their health allows. These assisted living communities, like residential care facilities all over the state, are regulated and licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sylmar
- The weather in Sylmar is generally warm and dry, like most of the rest of the valley. Summer highs here average 88 degrees, while the mild winters rarely dip below the average lows of 41 degrees. This part of the greater Los Angeles basin is semi-arid and gets just 17 inches of rain a year, though droughts often disrupt even that. Every year, the Santa Ana winds waft allergens in from the surrounding hills that can irritate some seniors' asthma or COPD.
- The cost of living in Sylmar is somewhat above California's average and more than double the national average cost. Healthcare is, by contrast, relatively affordable in Sylmar. Seniors in Sylmar pay an average of 15 percent less for healthcare than seniors nationwide.
- Crime rates in Sylmar are generally low. All reported crimes together come to roughly 60 percent of the average national rate, while the most serious categories of crime are less commonly reported than that.
- Public transportation in Sylmar is provided by the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro). This service operates multiple bus and rail routes around the San Fernando Valley, which seniors and mobility-impaired riders can take at a discount. Dial-a-ride and disabled ride services are available with same- or next-day booking.
- The Sylmar area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Dignity Health - Northridge Hospital Medical Center and UCLA Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Angeles is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sylmar
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Sylmar start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sylmar and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sylmar
Seniors in Sylmar who need help with the cost of assisted living may qualify for a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver. This waiver, which is provided at a state level to low-income seniors in just 15 California counties, helps pay some of the monthly costs associated with residential care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sylmar
Sylmar and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sylmar, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sylmar
Sylmar-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sylmar
Review of Affordable Board & Care Assisted Living
My grandmother is a resident at this Board and Care currently, and I could not say enough about them. The administrator Vilbert and his staff are very caring people. My family has piece of mind kno... Read more
Review of Abbey Road Villa
Abbey Road Villa was a place for very cost-conscious residents. I would go there if I had to, but it wasn't anything I would choose. It was more affordable. Everything was clean. They did well with... Read more
Review of Abbey Road Villa
The staff of Abbey Road Villa was OK. The person in charge was very gracious and very informative. Their nursing staff, however, didn't seem very welcoming and warm at all. The facility was clean. ... Read more